PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Web Developing Tool?

tech9
December 18th, 2007, 10:28 PM
What is your favorite Web Developing Tool and why?

I like NVU and Kompozer! :)

I know that there are more than I listed in the poll, but I posted what I could think of off the top of my mind.

p_quarles
December 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM
SciTE, Kate, or Vim, whichever happens to be handiest. You could have just added "text editor" to cover the lot of them. (I didn't vote).

tech9
December 18th, 2007, 10:37 PM
SciTE, Kate, or Vim, whichever happens to be handiest. You could have just added "text editor" to cover the lot of them.

so you would have voted other...

ah , you are quite right!

I should have added an "other - explain" option...
I will make sure I do that for the future!

(I didn't vote).

Like most Americans ;)

23meg
December 18th, 2007, 10:45 PM
NVU and Kompozer are hardly Web development tools. They're better defined as HTML editors.

I use Aptana.

tech9
December 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM
NVU and Kompozer are hardly Web development tools. They're better defined as HTML editors.

I use Aptana.

HTML editors are dev tools...
explain the difference ....are hardly Web development tools?

23meg
December 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM
HTML editors are mainly intended for people who just need to design static web pages; they usually give you tools to easily tweak HTML and CSS, an integrated FTP client, sometimes a WYSIWYG preview, and that's pretty much it. Web development software also includes (usually on top of all standard HTML editor tools) debuggers, reference and assist for Javascript and PHP, support for commonly used libraries, integration with other development tools, so on.

"Web development" and "web design" are two terms usually used to refer to two different (though partially overlapping) jobs.

aysiu
December 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Gedit.

I voted Bluefish, though. Figured that's the closest poll option.

bobbocanfly
December 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Gedit.

+1. Gedit at home. Nano at school because NVU doesnt keep indentation and im not allowed to install Gedit over there.

tech9
December 18th, 2007, 11:09 PM
HTML editors are mainly intended for people who just need to design static web pages; they usually give you tools to easily tweak HTML and CSS, an integrated FTP client, sometimes a WYSIWYG preview, and that's pretty much it. Web development software also includes (usually on top of all standard HTML editor tools) debuggers, reference and assist for Javascript and PHP, support for commonly used libraries, integration with other development tools, so on.

"Web development" and "web design" are two terms usually used to refer to two different (though partially overlapping) jobs.

I gotcha!

I totally agree... I have a degree in programming - web pages can be dynamic... code in the background - whereas web design does not have as much code driving the pages functionality.

I guess I should have said favorite Web Designing Tool then.

tech9
December 18th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Gedit.

I voted Bluefish, though. Figured that's the closest poll option.

:)

23meg
December 18th, 2007, 11:16 PM
What's WYSIWYG in the poll? Most other poll options are WYSIWYG editors.

mcduck
December 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM
None of the ones in the poll. Gedit + couple of selected plugins is my absolute favorite.

For the design part I mostly use Inkscape.

WYSIWYG? I just keep the browser open on another desktop and if I need to, I use that to check what the page looks like.

..And Nautilus for FTP, all I need to do is drop the stuff to icon on my desktop and it's uploaded to the server :D

HeavyAl
December 19th, 2007, 12:30 AM
VIM. And Gimp for design.

pt123
December 19th, 2007, 09:35 AM
NVU & Kompozer are good for simple editing but because they don't retain your formatting of the code, I prefer to use a text editor for complex web pages.

coolglobal
December 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Komposer is really quite good, combined with Bluefish and Gedit.
Add thunderbird, gFTP, FileZilla, The Gimp, Gcolor2, Epiphany, Firefox & IE4linux running in Wine and thats my setup. Very happy.

tech9
December 19th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Komposer is really quite good, combined with Bluefish and Gedit.
Add thunderbird, gFTP, FileZilla, The Gimp, Gcolor2, Epiphany, Firefox & IE4linux running in Wine and thats my setup. Very happy.

I agree! :)

23meg
December 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Browsershots (http://browsershots.org/) can be useful for checking compatibility with IE and Safari.

lunaz
December 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM
In windows I used homesite 3.x until allaire sold out. Haven't bothered to buy a new copy so now just use notepad++, gedit, geany or bluefish.

tech9
December 19th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Browsershots (http://browsershots.org/) can be useful for checking compatibility with IE and Safari.

nice site for testing!

bmeyer
December 22nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
For elegant, simple, and standards compliant coding, nothing beats a text editor and ftp client ;)

hessiess
December 22nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
i use g-edit

tech9
August 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
i use g-edit

good job on the 3D room models!

init1
August 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I always use plain text. It's really annoying how Firefox can't understand any of my JavaScript games. Only IE does. Just as well though; my programming skills were horrible back then :D

RuleMaker
August 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I use Quanta, I'm very pleased with it.

kirsis
August 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM
gedit

Last time I tried Bluefish, it kept messing up syntax coloring. Nothing major but enough for me to bail out eventually, seeing as how I rarely use any features not available in gedit.

Crashmaxx
August 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Thanks for that! Will be very useful redesigning my site.

Is it just my site or do most sites look terrible in Dillo? Nothing but the text or pics work.

Personally, I use Bluefish. It's nicer then gedit and doesn't have a bug with shared file systems.

Paqman
August 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Dreamweaver is still the daddy. Kompozer is probably the best of the native Linux apps, but it doesn't really play very well with dynamic sites. I'd like to use a native Linux app, but none of them are up to the standard of Dreamweaver yet.

Dreamweaver's pretty trivial to install through Wine-Doors these days, too. That makes it a no-brainer for me.

bobbybobington
August 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I just found squarespace.com (http://www.squarespace.com). I haven't used it, but looks simply amazing.

master5o1
August 5th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Gedit,

For every single type of language -- even Octave.

(I figured out the best GUI for GNU Octave was to use Gedit with the embedded terminal plugin in the bottom pane).

ocdude
August 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks for that! Will be very useful redesigning my site.

Is it just my site or do most sites look terrible in Dillo? Nothing but the text or pics work.

Personally, I use Bluefish. It's nicer then gedit and doesn't have a bug with shared file systems.

As far as I can remember, dillo doesn't do CSS or javascript, so everything is plain text. It's supposed to be a ridiculously light weight browser.

For the record, I've been using Gedit more and more often, to the point where I'm trying to figure out how to install it on my Mac as well.

picpak
August 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I mostly use Gedit, but I'll use Bluefish when I'm feeling lazy.

tech9
August 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I mostly use Gedit, but I'll use Bluefish when I'm feeling lazy.

yeah... I like bluefish too!

billgoldberg
August 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I use bluefish to write the occasional xhtml/css website (mostly for offline use) and recently (today) started learning ruby.

I also use bluefish for that.

drubin
August 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Eclipse!! amazing. best ide I have used in a long time.

linuxguymarshall
August 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
NVU is WYSIWYG and I say SCiTE or SCREEM

cookieofdoom
August 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM
For web development, I like Kate. It lets me save files to FTP directly, saves some time. For web design I like to design everything in GIMP... then I use Kate to fit it all together with HTML and PHP.

tech9
August 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Eclipse!! amazing. best ide I have used in a long time.

That package is huge... I tried download it to check it out and got some errors... could be the mirror that I am on.

tech9
August 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
My apologies to All - I just realized I should have put an "Other" or "Text Editor" option in the poll.

drubin
August 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
That package is huge... I tried download it to check it out and got some errors... could be the mirror that I am on.

Just make sure you download the one with php tools, else it is a mission to download the plugins separately. also don't download via apt-get (that is an out dated version)

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/pdt/downloads/

zmjjmz
August 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
Although I chose KompoZer (especially the portable one, I love that), I use Notepad++ too (usually for creating the site itself. I use KompoZer if I want to make any GUI changes).

tech9
August 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM
Just make sure you download the one with php tools, else it is a mission to download the plugins separately. also don't download via apt-get (that is an out dated version)

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/pdt/downloads/

I tried downloading through synaptic, but thx 4 the link

hessiess
August 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
i use g-edit

scratch that, use geany and vi now :lolflag:

PCessna
August 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
What is your favorite Web Developing Tool and why?

I like NVU and Kompozer! :)

I know that there are more than I listed in the poll, but I posted what I could think of off the top of my mind.

can't do it on linux. gotta switch over to windows for dreamweaver

danbuter
August 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM
Geany.