PDA

View Full Version : Everything I see always comes true

ade234uk
December 18th, 2007, 08:13 AM
My girlfriend was very scepitcal about my slagging of Microsoft. As the years have gone on, I have slowly shown her why open source is good alternative. She is also seeing how organisations and ms are taking away the freedoms of general pc users.

At the moment she is fuming, the school she works for has totally locked down all the laptops from doing nothing more than viewing a few select websites.

She can only open ms documents, cannot read .pdf, she cannot go on you tube for some teaching materials and is now being forced to going back to IE.

She has been using Firefox for the last 2 years, and hates IE. She quizzed the IT guy at school and asked her why she cannot have Firefox back, and was told it is now policy.

The IT agrees that Firefox is better, but the powers to be do not trust Firefox or know about it.

She is now wondering if there is any point in having a laptop at all. She feels trapped and does not have the freedom she used to.

LaRoza
December 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM
My girlfriend was very scepitcal about my slagging of Microsoft. As the years have gone on, I have slowly shown her why open source is good alternative. She is also seeing how organisations and ms are taking away the freedoms of general pc users.

At the moment she is fuming, the school she works for has totally locked down all the laptops from doing nothing more than viewing a few select websites.

She can only open ms documents, cannot read .pdf, she cannot go on you tube for some teaching materials and is now being forced to going back to IE.

She has been using Firefox for the last 2 years, and hates IE. She quizzed the IT guy at school and asked her why she cannot have Firefox back, and was told it is now policy.

The IT agrees that Firefox is better, but the powers to be do not trust Firefox or know about it.

She is now wondering if there is any point in having a laptop at all. She feels trapped and does not have the freedom she used to.

http://portableapps.com

http://www.kejut.com/operaportable

I never use the apps on computers that are not mine. Even for PDF's and text editing, I use apps installed to my flash drive. The work in Windows (and Wine), and are usable on even very restrictive accounts.

If the web site restrictions is on the client, the portable browsers will get around it.

digital_sabotage
December 18th, 2007, 08:22 AM
...toss her an ubuntu live boot cd*L*

ade234uk
December 18th, 2007, 08:23 AM
She will love this, thank you very much.

LaRoza
December 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM
She will love this, thank you very much.

No problem.

They are quite useful, and it is amazing how many Windows programs are portable. Although there is a Firefox Portable edition, you could (if you wanted) install the regular Firefox to the flash drive and it would still work. I recommend the portable edition, as it is better suited for flash drives.

I prefer Opera, that is why I linked to it. The Portable Firefox is really slow, in my experience.

Any program can be used with the portable apps menu, just put it is a directory in the Portabeapps directory, and the menu will find all .exe's and add them.

If she has constructive possession of the laptop, she can just copy them to the hard disk, but for security reasons, I would use them on a flash drive. All settings and files will be on the flash drive.