PDA

View Full Version : Creating script to adjust the brightness level of the monitor

Catalyst2Death
December 18th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Hello,

I am running ubuntu gutsy on a Dell inspiron 1501. My fn brightness keys don't work, and I don't want to downgrade my bios (in fact, I can't because I'm running ubuntu/vista and the downgrade software only works in xp and earlier)

So, I'm wondering if it is possible to write a shell script to adjust the brightness (one for up and another for down) and then bind them to keys on the keyboard (like alt+up or alt+down to increase and decrease brightness respectively)

this would circumvent the use of the fn key, but I don't have a clue how to begin to implement something like this

mridkash
December 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Do you know the commands to use for brightness. Can you do it in terminal?

If yes then you can make a bash script and run it on some key combination.

moma
December 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Just a tiny idea.

Check if the XRandr (http://www.x.org/wiki/Projects/XRandR) utility can change the brightness value.

Check
$ man xrandr

and Google for "xrandr brightness"
----

Notice also that most of the graphic cards (drivers) have their own command line and GUI config tools.
Such as ATI has "aticonfig".
NVIDIA has "nvidia-settings" and "nvidia-xconfig"
----

Related stuff, URandR: http://albertomilone.com/wordpress/?p=142

Merry Christmas
$ xsnow

Catalyst2Death
December 18th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I googled "xrandr" and it looped my back here! oh well, thanks for the advice.
I know the command for brightness, the only problem is that you must be logged on as root to adjust the brightness... sudo doesn't work, anyway how do I do this?

I'm not entirely familiar with shell scripts, so I don't know how to get it to login as root and then adjust brightness. I would like to just press alt+up and have the brightness incrementally change, but I don't have a clue how to get going.

mridkash
December 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
to set custom keyboard shortcuts,

in terminal,

gconf-editor

a config editor window will open. Browse to apps> metacity> global keybindings
here you'll see "run_command_#" textboxes. type the shortcut in the value box. To set the commands, browse to keybindings_command and type the command.

it will work if you have desktop effects disabled. If you have compiz enabled then you have to install ccsm package to edit shortcuts.

deuce868
December 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
If you feel like playing with DBus programming, there seems to be a dbus interface to the power manager.

org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Not sure what language you wanted to work on a script in, but python and dbus are pretty simple and you could write up a script to change the setting from there.

stevew45
December 17th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I googled "xrandr" and it looped my back here! oh well, thanks for the advice.
I know the command for brightness, the only problem is that you must be logged on as root to adjust the brightness... sudo doesn't work, anyway how do I do this?

I'm not entirely familiar with shell scripts, so I don't know how to get it to login as root and then adjust brightness. I would like to just press alt+up and have the brightness incrementally change, but I don't have a clue how to get going.

I have the same sort of problem, no fn keys. What commands do you use to adjust brightness from within the terminal?

deuce868
December 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I use this script I call 'powermode'. I call it with either:

disable
powermode d

partial
powermode p

all
powermode a

#!/bin/bash
if test "$1" = "a"
then
sudo -v
cpu_speed set powersave && sudo echo -n 20 | sudo tee /proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD0/brightness

# turns a noatime mount
mount -o remount,noatime /home
mount -o remount,noatime /
elif test "$1" = "p"
then
sudo -v
cpu_speed set conservative && sudo echo -n 60 | sudo tee /proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD0/brightness

# turns a noatime mount
mount -o remount,noatime /home
mount -o remount,noatime /
elif test "$1" = "d"
then
sudo -v
cpu_speed set ondemand && sudo echo -n 100 | sudo tee /proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD0/brightness
else
echo "Usage:"
echo " $(basename $0) a # all out powersave mode"
echo " $(basename $0) p # powersave"
echo " $(basename $0) d # disable powersave modes"
fi
echo ""

It's the setting in /proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD0/brightness that adjusts the backlight.

haldean
January 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
You should look into the xbacklight tool -- the syntax is incredibly easy, and it's in the repos. It's as simple as:

xbacklight = 0 # Turn off backlight
xbacklight = 50 # Backlight at 50%
xbacklight = 100 # Backlight at full
xbacklight - 20 # -20%
xbacklight + 10 # +10%

I know this is an old thread, but it's also the first Google result for "backlight shell script", and I thought this was useful.