PDA

View Full Version : Vista Bugs VS Ubuntu Bugs

Sugi
December 18th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Vista Ultimate ($259.99 @ best buy) Note: Compare Home Edition to Ultimate, it's a landslide.
Ubuntu Gutsy (FREE - hourish download @ broadband) Note: get a free hard copy of Gutsy in the mail. Did I say free already?

Man, free is starting to SOUND good.

Out-of-box:
Vista Ultimate on P4 1.8 GHz 1GB DDR ATI 9600SE
Main Problem = No SOUND. ERROR
Good Points = Opera + Aim ran kinda fast..... just waiting for My Computer to open up took a little too long. Really nice design and some cool features.

Ubuntu Gutsy on P4 1.8 GHz 1GB DDR ATI 9600SE
Main Problem = No UPDATES including no additional software. ERROR
Good Points = WORKING SOUND during live-cd & after installation. Runs fast with Opera, Media Player, Pidgin, and some folders open Custom anything (Eveb the Desktop Panels ^_^).

So, lets address those two issues we were talking about before.

Vista with no sound. I found out Vista does NOT support old sound cards (like my card SoundBlaster LIVE 5.1 by Creative). Lets see if Creative or Microsoft made any drivers for this sound card, and of course, they didn't make any drivers. We don't them to waste their time with long time users. Screw them.
- 3 Months of research to fix my issues
I final found someone online that could help me with my problem. He gave me some drivers from Windows ME edition and told me how to run those drivers under Vista. The best part this story was that user that help me with Vista was a long time linux user.

Gutsy with no updates. I couldn't find out why on earth couldn't I do updates or install anything. Man, this was bugging the hell out of me. Lets see if anyone at the forums of ubuntu care about me.
- 3 Hours of waiting for the corrent reply to my thread
During that time I spend looking for this fix, I was able to enjoy working wireless internet on a fly, music, browser my personal files, and play linux base games. Man, I love Nibbles. I did have to wait a little bit for someone with the knowledge of my problem would aid my issues, but while I was waiting I helped my girlfriend learn Diablo 2 for the first time on her laptop. After an hour of waiting, someone final responded and told me I had some issues with my repos during installation of my Gutsy. After 5 minutes of searching the fourms, I found a lot people with the same issues and they directed me to linux informational website and BAM! everything was fix. I installed wine that every night. After that, I quickly install Diablo 2 and played with my girlfriend over a local area network.

The problems I had to face with Vista was almost unbearable compared to Ubuntu and to believe I had to pay $259.99 for the service of waiting 3 months and fixing the issues myself. On the other hand, Ubuntu took care of me. Gave me some nice music and some internet browsing to tide me over until my fix was pretty much hand deliver to me.

'Open software is free software' and a lot less painful to set up than Microsoft.

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Vista bugs take half a year to get fixed, and usually cost something. FOSS bugs take a lot less time, and cost pretty much almost...nothing.

Kingsley
December 18th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Vista Ultimate could have been free. You just chose to pay for it :^o.

Sugi
December 18th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Kingsley, I think you are missing the point of this thread.

bruce89
December 18th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Vista bugs take half a year to get fixed, and usually cost something. FOSS bugs take a lot less time, and cost pretty much almost...nothing.

One of the advantages of FOSS is anyone can fix bugs.

SomeGuyDude
December 18th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I didn't go with Ubuntu because it was bug free. That would have been dumb, because I have stuff "gray out" more now than I did with Vista. Additionally, I never had my touchpad randomly shut off all of its functionality outside of simply dragging the cursor around.

HOWEVER.

The fact that Linux bugs get fixed pretty swiftly, and during the ~97% of the time it's running bug-free it's a lot more responsive and painless, and that it's all free, THAT's why I'll always prefer Linux, and specifically Ubuntu.

But to say that Linux is, universally, a less buggy experience is just dumb.

igknighted
December 18th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Lets review:

Creative didn't make drivers for 5+ year old sound cards. Hmm, considering that was a $20 investment that can be replaced by another $20 investment (an audigy for example), I'm not too concerned. Besides, any onboard sound chip on a motherboard capable of running Vista is 99 times out of 100 going to be a better sound card than a live 5.1 anyway.

Creative also doesn't have linux drivers for the X-Fi series. Ok, there's a 64bit only beta version. Not only are these cards current (but not particularly bleeding edge), but they are $100+ investments and not easily replaced by comparable hardware.

Hardly fair to hold against windows an issue that we in linux point to hardware manufacturers every day. "oh, device ________ doesn't work? Right an email to broadcom/ati/<insert company here>.