PDA

View Full Version : Dell Commercials?

chris4585
December 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
So why do you think dell hasnt made any commercials about Ubuntu yet?

just curious and want to get a nice convo started

Joeb454
December 17th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Because of Bug #1 on launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1) for a start :p

And I don't think many people will respond, I mean if you hadn't really heard of Linux or thought it was just for geeks...how would you respond to an ad that said

Our PC's now come with Ubuntu Linux preinstalled

aysiu
December 17th, 2007, 11:50 PM
On the Dell website, they still recommend Windows Vista... even on the Ubuntu page!

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM
That sickens me.
I think we need more well-known quality vendors selling Linux computers.
Dell does some, but I think System76 and EmperorLinux do better jobs at supporting Linux computers.
Ah well, just support those vendors for now, I guess.
HOWEVER, Linux needs a really solid, strong advertisement to go out there. I think with the Hardy release, KDE4, and all sorts of new FOSS technologies, it's about time that we support them.
I'm asking for a camera for Christmas, so I'll definitely contribute to this.

bruce89
December 18th, 2007, 12:34 AM
They'd get their **** sued off by MS.

Ar*e isn't swearing surely. (forum automatically changed it to ****)

jflaker
December 18th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Need to get a PC/MAC/Linux commercial together..

Hi, I'm a PC, I'm Mac and I'm linux.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1RCg-Ccp0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-L-0s-7-Z0

chris4585
December 18th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Well, i suppose that is true, but i kinda had in mind a commercial showing compiz fusion in action with some crazy song, and dell saying something like "This is the future!" lol ok kinda lame but you get the idea, eh?

also

Need to get a PC/MAC/Linux commercial together..

Hi, I'm a PC, I'm Mac and I'm linux.......

that would be interesting, i could see the windows and mac dude's fighting and linux coming out of no where and jumping on them both and conquering them

smartboyathome
December 18th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I have posted a commercial for Ubuntu on my blog, and am working on a few short commercials which will then be posted in the same place.

frup
December 18th, 2007, 01:00 AM
If they don't advertise it they get to treat it more like a trial. The lack of advertisement also beckons word of mouth advertising and utilising the community's voice.

If they were going to advertise it, I don't see them doing it with anything but LTS.

jflaker
December 18th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Great selling point:

Compare the upgrade from XP to Vista and the costs involved.

Compare the upgrade from version of Ubuntu and the costs involved, which are NOTHING except the media it is burned on, or about 8Cents

macogw
December 18th, 2007, 03:40 AM
That sickens me.
I think we need more well-known quality vendors selling Linux computers.
Dell does some, but I think System76 and EmperorLinux do better jobs at supporting Linux computers.
Ah well, just support those vendors for now, I guess.
HOWEVER, Linux needs a really solid, strong advertisement to go out there. I think with the Hardy release, KDE4, and all sorts of new FOSS technologies, it's about time that we support them.
I'm asking for a camera for Christmas, so I'll definitely contribute to this.

ZaReason too! Cathy (the CEO) is very into promoting Linux. She sells Little LinuxChix tees on there at almost no profit (I think it's like rounded up to the next dollar to pay for the next batch), and they have keyboard with Ubuntu (instead of Windows) logos that they just had custom-made. The GreenPC is available from them too.

EDIT: Just read some comments made to articles about ZaReason, and apparently they're *very* into the geek crowd who likes it "just so." If you want 64-bit, just ask. Want a special partition scheme? Just ask. They're pretty open to special requests / customizations. My brother and sisters' laptops are definitely coming from there, so I can request that the /home be in its own partition.

smartboyathome
December 18th, 2007, 03:52 AM
ZaReason too! Cathy (the CEO) is very into promoting Linux. She sells Little LinuxChix tees on there at almost no profit (I think it's like rounded up to the next dollar to pay for the next batch), and they have keyboard with Ubuntu (instead of Windows) logos that they just had custom-made. The GreenPC is available from them too.

Thanks for telling me about them! I just fell in love with their BigLap. :)

astromech
December 18th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Before making deals with vendors Ubuntu and other distros need to make sure that their product is going to be promoted properly.

Also since Linux is built by communities, it stands to reason that it is the communities that will have to do the bulk of the marketing.

Know someone who's good at copyrighting ? Get them to make flyers and then you can post them all over town.Got a free radio station? plug it there! Start a question and answer show! Cable access TV?

What did you do with those Ubuntu stickers that came with those nice CD's that ship-it from Canonical sent you ? Did you give them to someone else or put them in a place where other people can see it?

There are many things we can do to promote Linux.

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I think instead of comparing, anyone making a Ubuntu advertisement should focus on:

1) Simplicity
2) Freedom
3) Power

Otherwise, people might get turned off by something saying "HEY! We're BETTER WINDOWS SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH." I mean, look at all those annoying anti-Linux ads, they're certainly not going to grab much of an audience. So we should take a different approach.

Simplicity Concept: Show an average Joe walking around, with some pop music.
Narrorator: This is Joe. He's happy because his life is simple.
(Show Joe walking around, automated things happenening for him everywhere, and he never gets charged money. Everyone's smiling and laughing)
Narrorator: Joe's got it easy, because his life is rediculously simple. It's no wonder he's using Ubuntu.
(Show different screens doing things in Ubuntu, with some eyecandy to wow the user)
Narrorator: Isn't it time your computer acted as cool as you?
(show Ubuntu logo in nifty animation)
Narrorator: Ubuntu...Computing for human beings. (or Linux for Human Beings)

Freedom Concept:
(show a bunch of people walking around with chains and weights)
(that's all I've got for this one, but focus on the joys of freedom, have the Ubuntu guy just kind of walking around with no chains, and he kind of looks at everyone else, amused)

Power Concept:
(Show various concepts showing what programs do. This would be great for promoting things like Amarok 2.0, Firefox, GIMP, etc. Kind of have things flying around in a dramatic style)

lisati
December 18th, 2007, 04:06 AM
They'd get their **** sued off by MS.

Ar*e isn't swearing surely. (forum automatically changed it to ****)

I'm mildly surprised (but not completely) surprised - the American equivalent is a word that can also mean "donkey" but I digress.......

chris4585
December 18th, 2007, 05:31 AM
A Carafe of Ubuntu

Beans: 108
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn User
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Psychopath Send a message via MSN to Mr. Psychopath Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Psychopath Send a message via Skype™ to Mr. Psychopath
Re: Dell Commercials?
I think instead of comparing, anyone making a Ubuntu advertisement should focus on:

1) Simplicity
2) Freedom
3) Power

Otherwise, people might get turned off by something saying "HEY! We're BETTER WINDOWS SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH." I mean, look at all those annoying anti-Linux ads, they're certainly not going to grab much of an audience. So we should take a different approach.

Simplicity Concept: Show an average Joe walking around, with some pop music.
Narrorator: This is Joe. He's happy because his life is simple.
(Show Joe walking around, automated things happenening for him everywhere, and he never gets charged money. Everyone's smiling and laughing)
Narrorator: Joe's got it easy, because his life is rediculously simple. It's no wonder he's using Ubuntu.
(Show different screens doing things in Ubuntu, with some eyecandy to wow the user)
Narrorator: Isn't it time your computer acted as cool as you?
(show Ubuntu logo in nifty animation)
Narrorator: Ubuntu...Computing for human beings. (or Linux for Human Beings)

Freedom Concept:
(show a bunch of people walking around with chains and weights)
(that's all I've got for this one, but focus on the joys of freedom, have the Ubuntu guy just kind of walking around with no chains, and he kind of looks at everyone else, amused)

Power Concept:
(Show various concepts showing what programs do. This would be great for promoting things like Amarok 2.0, Firefox, GIMP, etc. Kind of have things flying around in a dramatic style)

i like that idea, you should be in TV business

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Well thanks, Chris, I'm flattered.
Unfortunately, I don't have a camera yet, but when I do I'll try making the concept ideas, and putting them up on YouTube or BlipTV or something like that.

hhhhhx
December 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM
its simple. Anything that is free cant be good, right??

WRONG!!!!1!!11