PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu: In the future?

X40nick
December 17th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Hi,

Is there any companies or business's that choose Ubuntu as there main operating system for PC's and servers? I am yet to see a Linux PC in a shop,business etc etc.

The hospitals use Windows, Schools, Shops, Business's? Is there anyone who will go for Linux?

And what is the likely hope of Ubuntu coming into a big player in OS market share?

Thanks,

Nick.

omegamike3
December 17th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Wow. That is quite the question. To no drag on and on right off the bat, I will say this: We live in interesting times. Times of unrest and upheaval. Vista has failed, horribly. With SP3 around the corner for XP and SP1 for Vista adding next to nothing useful, consumers are finding themselves in limbo. 'Why should I bother upgrading if everything is working fine?' There isn't a need. But that's the catch, consumers get bored. They'll start looking for something new. Something exciting. Something they haven't seen before. Is it going to happen overnight? No. Will it happen eventually? Possibly. At this point, it seems that M$ is on one hell of a slippery slope and there isn't anything out there to catch them. If anything, we're headed for a much more distributed market share three ways between windows, osx and linux.

macogw
December 17th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I know an Indian restaurant where the owner's computer dual-boots Windows and Ubuntu. He gives the LoCo free food sometimes.

My friend's school has an Edubuntu lab.

Two of the desktops at the Washington Post Newsweek Interactive (the people that do washingtonpost.com) run Ubuntu too (and neither is mine...they're my cube-mates). Yeah, that's 2 out of a few hundred, but oh well. The rest aren't all Windows. There's a lot of Macs too.

My school has Fedora on about half of the computers in the CS department.

SunnyRabbiera
December 17th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Well ubuntu is certainly gaining interest, rather if the sales of the Dell computers with ubuntu on them are failing at least we are getting something/
The future does look good for linux, as its getting easier and better by the day.
we have come a long way since 4 years ago and it can only get better

Ripfox
December 17th, 2007, 08:02 PM
My sisters Window business uses all Ubuntu computers in her telemarketing office (that I set up for her)

She has been chugging along with no problems yet.

I also built her website with Ubuntu and Gnu Image Manipulation Program

www.natureshieldwindows.com

fatality_uk
December 17th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Hi,

Is there any companies or business's that choose Ubuntu as there main operating system for PC's and servers? I am yet to see a Linux PC in a shop,business etc etc.

The hospitals use Windows, Schools, Shops, Business's? Is there anyone who will go for Linux?

And what is the likely hope of Ubuntu coming into a big player in OS market share?

Thanks,

Nick.

I currently have very over paid consultants doing a feasibility study for a migration to Linux (Ubuntu). :) Also, although you might not see it, they maybe running Linux servers for backoffice, storage, mail etc. Linux is still early in it's desktop adoption, but it's gaining ground quickly. I know a lot of companies use Novell/Red Hat.

As for Ubuntu being a "big" player in the desktop market. Many people are already thinking Ubuntu when they mention Linux. While that's good overall for the profile of Ubuntu, there are some that would argue that it's bad for Linux as a whole, ask a SlackWare user :lolflag:

SunnyRabbiera
December 17th, 2007, 08:06 PM
yeh but slack is getting its share of the pie too, hey any linux that can claim itself like ubuntu deserves credit.

bobbocanfly
December 17th, 2007, 08:11 PM
My school dont use Linux (though they do know it exists and teach about it ("Yeah its good, more secure but its well hard")) but use Mac instead. At least its better than Windows.

macogw
December 17th, 2007, 08:14 PM
"Yeah its good, more secure but its well hard"

Try telling my mom that.

X40nick
December 18th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Wow! It is good to hear schools choosing Linux! And for some people to know someone who runs a business and chooses Linux.

Is there a shortage of applications that may hold Linux back?

Thanks,

Nick.

Lostincyberspace
December 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I know that Intel has many people running Linux in their development areas.

toupeiro
December 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I know, for a fact, banks, oil companies, many Hospitals, and the FAA to name a few have a heavy linux presense. I cannot claim it is ubuntu linux, but linux none-the-less.

Though, I have not seen it in schools, to my disappointment.

Lostincyberspace
December 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Also there are quite a few police departments turning over to Linux.

argie
December 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM
In Kerala, a state in India, students will take their 10th standard computer exams on Linux systems. That's more than a million kids.

matthewcraig
December 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM

From what I have seen here in the USA, Just about every good-sized business (150+ people) is running Linux somewhere.

Dixon Bainbridge
December 18th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Hi,

Thanks,

Nick.

Depends entirely on how Apple and Microsoft play it. If they continue to **** users off, they will migrate to alternatives. Vista has turned alot of people off MS and drove them to Apple... but I know alot of long term Apple users sick of being locked into the whole Apple vibe. Consumer choice will eventually decide. Nothing else matters.

gn2
December 18th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Don't know what distro is used, but this is interesting: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hollywood-Loves-Linux-45571.shtml

chris4585
December 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I'd love to get my school to use Ubuntu, but i doubt that..

jayson.rowe
December 18th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I'm a network administrator in an (almost) all MS shop, however I do have a few servers running ubuntu-server and VMware Server hosting virtuals.

We are planning to do more with Ubuntu in the future however.

hanzomon4
December 18th, 2007, 03:24 PM
My school uses it in their VRLab (http://www.bcchang.com/vrlab/index.php), Suse Linux

Tristam Green
December 18th, 2007, 03:29 PM
My former college runs Fedora, and I think they only do that as a trickle-down from a very old agreement they had with Red Hat. I tried to talk the faculty into at least *testing* Ubuntu 6.10 for a lab, but they simply wouldn't have it. Considering how ingrained they are in Novell stuff, I wouldn't be surprised to see them swap their labs out entirely to SuSE in the future.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess..

vishzilla
December 18th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Several big IT firms do use Linux

boast
December 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Jan 2006 ---
"At the JPL [NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory], it is common to see Red Hat Inc., SuSE or Mandriva Linux running on users' desktops alongside Windows. "

"In terms of [Linux] distros for the overall lab though, we actually run more Red Hat Linux,"

"Our personal view is that Linux, period, is only for the desktop. We don't run our main servers on Linux, because there are too many flaws in main Linux kernel,"

Tristam Green
December 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM
"Our personal view is that Linux, period, is only for the desktop. We don't run our main servers on Linux, because there are too many flaws in main Linux kernel,"

The heck?! That sounds way backwards from anything I've heard :lolflag:

X40nick
December 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Many flaws? I thought Windows servers had flaws!

popch
December 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Many flaws? I thought Windows servers had flaws!

They might have compared Linux with Unices.

Mr Wrath
December 18th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I have switched the company I work at over to an Ubuntu server. Once a AutoCAD program comes out that can utilize .job and .cr5 files, then I will be in business to move Ubuntu as a all around desktop. Until then...still using XP and 2000.

Mr Wrath
December 18th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Jan 2006 ---

???????????:confused:???????????

That is kinda backwards, IMO.

luvdemheels
December 18th, 2007, 09:48 PM
We have 3 RHEL servers here at work and I know a small private school that uses centos on their server and computer lab.

igknighted
December 18th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Google uses a customized Ubuntu version.

Also, since we are talking about schools, my Uni has a Gentoo lab and a FreeBSD lab (~20-25 computers each). Ironically my prof is really old-school unix (he writes our assignments/syllabus with troff... even latex is too new-school) and absolutely despises Linux... lots of our homework simply wont work on the Gentoo boxes, we have to use the FreeBSD ones.

igknighted
December 18th, 2007, 09:51 PM
???????????:confused:???????????

That is kinda backwards, IMO.

Not really, I'd choose linux for my Desktop and Solaris or FreeBSD for my servers. Makes really good sense to me.

X40nick
December 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Why? They are all based on the same thing!

UNIX right? And Solaris is properiaty.

igknighted
December 21st, 2007, 12:08 AM
Why? They are all based on the same thing!

UNIX right? And Solaris is properiaty.

Errr... sort of. On both counts.

Solaris comes in the fully open-source opensolaris (Belenix, Debian/Nexenta, Project Indiana, etc.) versions, and one laced with some proprietary pieces (Solaris 10). Both are decidedly solaris.

Also, Solaris /is/ unix, while BSD is a descendant of Unix (possibly still certified?), and linux is a clone of unix. There are many subtle but important differences that seperate these systems, so they are not the same... but they are related. Ironically I would wager that Mac OSX shares more with BSD than Solaris does, and possibly linux too (at a system level).

hanzomon4
December 21st, 2007, 01:01 AM
I thought Solaris was more SysV based then BSD?

X40nick
December 21st, 2007, 10:05 AM
Is Linux big with thin-clients? Or is that a UNIX bases system.

I see the future in computing as for Home, will be Thin Clients Connect USB keyboard & mouse, Monitor, and a Ethernet cable. Then you have all the applications available online.

This would be from Google, Google Docs,Mail, etc etc etc.

Would that happen?

Nick.

macogw
December 21st, 2007, 10:10 AM
The heck?! That sounds way backwards from anything I've heard :lolflag:

Not if you compare to, say, HP-UX or Solaris, or maybe a BSD

I'm pretty sure BSD is considered UNIX

X40nick
December 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Who owns Unix? And is it nearly dead considering only HP & Sun have a Unix system?

Nick.

hanzomon4
December 21st, 2007, 06:22 PM
Who owns Unix? And is it nearly dead considering only HP & Sun have a Unix system?

Nick.

The Open Group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Group) -List of UNIX Systems (http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/)

X40nick
December 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Right, has anyone got a thought about my idea of thin-clients? Or do I need to patent that?

Anyone want to join me? :P

macogw
December 21st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Right, has anyone got a thought about my idea of thin-clients? Or do I need to patent that?

Anyone want to join me? :P

The usual way of setting up an Edubuntu lab is with thin clients.

X40nick
December 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Would it ever expand to the home?

Everything with the computer and all bundled with it!

Great idea?

Rather than buying a $1000 Dell Windows Vista machine? Buy a $300 thin-client, and have all the other software bundled with it?

Nick.

pelicanghost
December 22nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
By thin clients do you mean dumb terminals, like they used to have?

I've always thought that was the way of the future: 1 central server in a location, doing everything and sending out info to the user at a monitor with a network card.

Will it work if Ubuntu is the client, but BSD the srver?

X40nick
December 23rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
I hope it will come and you just pay for the stuff you store? And you have a package manager with all the Linux applications.

That would be a very cool thing!

jfank
December 23rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Don't know what distro is used, but this is interesting: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hollywood-Loves-Linux-45571.shtml

Well I find this whole thread very interesting. You know I have asked myself that question before, but I have also myself come to learn that many companies are using some sort of Linux as a OS. For example Idle Aire which is for semi drivers it's a tube you put in the passenger window when your at a truck stop so you don't idle your truck you get air, heat, tv, internet, etc. They are based off a gnome dist. of Linux. Parts of Werner Enterprises, Swift, Us Xpress, Schneider, and a few other huge trucking companies in this country are also at least some what using a Linux OS in parts of the offices (Not on all computers). As far as Vista goes, when I got my brand new Sony laptop it came with Vista, and of course Vista was on there for 1 full week just so I can check out that worthless OS. It seems to have some of the same set up as Linux to a small point. Linux is becoming huge, and like the article I read that is in the quote on this reply is very interesting, and I recommend everyone read it. The main problem is that most people are use to Windows, and I do know for a fact that a lot of people REFUSE to learn how to operate Linux not knowing just how easy it is to run Linux. I still have some problems myself operating Linux, but when I find a problem I research to learn how to do something to make Linux an easier operation for myself. Like another member of this forum stated people are being pushed away from MS because MS is making their OS's worthless, and Linux is still new to the market, but Linux will have the victory in the end.

Sorry for this being so long, but I got really caught up in this thread, and I think the starter of this thread did ask a very tough and interesting question...

X40nick
December 23rd, 2007, 11:41 PM
Wow!!!

I thought it would of been done on a Mac as Disney Pixar's CEO is Steve Jobs.

Then again what can a Mac do, apart from making your credit card bill higher?

Nick.

bufsabre666
December 24th, 2007, 01:03 AM
my school uses mac, i have preeched to the district about installing ubuntu computers a couple years ago when i was a junoir in high school. they saw at the time 5.10 and of course it was good but they didnt want to install it cause "it wasnt as good as windows" i wonder now? i should go back a try again, all the computer teachers in my high school agreed at the time, and my programming teacher uses it on his own computer but cant put it on the class computers cause of district policy

but instead they go with macs cause theyre user friendly...

and crash every 38 minutes cause they have like 64mb of ram

jfank
December 24th, 2007, 04:37 AM
A lot of people have a hard time seeing the best in computer software which is usually right in front of their faces. Like with Ubuntu; I started using it off and on back with 6.04 or whatever the version number was, and I didn't really like it that much and then I installed this Gusty version and I have switched all but one computer in my house to Ubuntu. It is becoming easier to use everyday, but most people don't see just how much more secure it is than what Windows will ever be. I think it is funny how all of these viruses are being created, but they can only hit mainly Windows, and not much happens to Linux.