PDA

View Full Version : writing bots in Java

tashe
December 17th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I read somewhere on the web about writing bots in Java. Does anyone know about some interesting project for bots in Java of any kind?
thanks in advance

H264
December 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM
are you talking about IRC bots? If you are then there are some sweet Java based IRC/IRCbot libs out there that make such creation very very easy. I can't remember exactly where, but I remember seeing a couple nice ones.

dumbsnake
December 17th, 2007, 09:24 PM
One of my friends wrote a book on this. You can find it here:

http://www.heatonresearch.com/

He is a very sharp guy. As far as projects that would be cool... I've thought of a good number of interesting projects, but Java is fairly limiting language so most of them don't work too well. What tends to make bot programs interesting in my mind is when they aggregate large amounts of data and synthesize something interesting with that data. Don't forget to read the robots.txt file though! Goodluck.

themusicwave
December 18th, 2007, 04:10 AM
What kind of bots are you refering to?

I have some experience using the Robot class of Java SE, which allows you to simulate inputs like mouse clicks and key presses. It is really powerful for automating application testing(or freaking out your friends).

If you mean an embedded system like a physical robot I have done that too, you need to learn some hardware to do that usually.

You'll need a MircoProcessor that can run Java for this to work.

If you can clarify maybe I can help.

tashe
December 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not actually interested in implementing it with hardware, more into writing code. I was inspired by the talking bots on the net, and bots competing against each other in small games.

Btw, I checked the web page that you recommended and definitely there are some interesting stuff that I'll put my head into.
thanks for the replies