PDA

View Full Version : the BEST linux software

staticvoid
December 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM
This might be an age old question...

What are some of the best linux software?

Judging on stability, ease of use, power/capability, feature rich, intuitive, documentation, etc.

I would like to know :)

SV

winner gets :popcorn: and a song :guitar:

gn2
December 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
To perform what tasks?

staticvoid
December 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
movie editing
large scale web development

kellemes
December 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM
movie editing

A professional moviemaker will not use GNU/Linux. It's no match for Windows or Mac.
Web development traditionally is done using a programmers editor like emacs(+PHP+MySQL), Bluefish is a pretty cool editor too.

Josh1
December 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM
For web development (which is mainly what I do on my laptop), I run Apache/MySQL/PHP since I do most of my work while elsewhere.

I then use Quanta for my web developing, sure it's a KDE app but I'm just so use to using it now. I've tried just about every single IDE out there for web development, but my favourite has to be quanta.

staticvoid
December 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
A professional moviemaker will not use GNU/Linux. It's no match for Windows or Mac.

We should make kdenlive better.

Yeah, if I were a pro graphic designer with mula I'd get a macbook pro with CS3 :)

For webdevelopment: I mean something like dreamweaver. not a... text editor. Hey, I'm not flaming here either though ;)

And beside these two categories, how bout games? or photo workflow? (like lightroom)

sv

staticvoid
December 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
yeah, quanta is good :)

Josh1
December 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Firstly, why do people think Macs are great for Web Development? They run nothing, and the Adobe CSX Suite runs fine on WIndows.

I think users think that Graphics = Mac.

Oh, and I use to swear by Dreamweaver due to it's code editing, but then I got stuck into Eclipse when I began using the CakePHP framework. Now I use symfony, which is great.

But yeah, bread is bread, toast is toast, and Ubuntu is great. :P

staticvoid
December 17th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Firstly, why do people think Macs are great for Web Development? They run nothing, and the Adobe CSX Suite runs fine on WIndows.

I think users think that Graphics = Mac.

Because they are fast, slick looking, have a reputation for not crashing and well... know how to advertise there product to make everyone think that ;)

You're right. They are fooling everyone though. lol.

I do not know much about web development. I like dreamweavers auto competion and drag and target linking, plus the built in ftp. sort of an all in one suite.

no, NVU, is no match... :P

sv

hyper_ch
December 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I'm currently using the Zend IDE... it's quite nice especially having access to the code repository on the zend homepage.

But then, developping webpages, you mean coding php/asp? or static pages?

staticvoid
December 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Zend looks pretty pro :)

Well, static pages, for example a huge library of essays all on a site, soem one has to go through and edit those, I would not want to see all the html code, just the wysiwyg part of it, u know?

See, ther is tons of software for linux that is stable and really good. :)

so far in the area of web development. Linux servers, plus great tools
So what else?? games, office..?

sv

hyper_ch
December 17th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Zend was developped for PHP ;) not for wysiwyg ;)

mlentink
December 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Have a look at Aptana for webDev

And while you're at it, uo may want to look at cinerella as well

SunnyRabbiera
December 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
movie editing

well KDEnlive is getting there and Kompozer is pretty good

grokwik
December 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Up to me, the best way to do is to use a basic text editor (with syntax coloring). I guess it's the only way to control completely what is done. personnaly, I go for vim with some home made macros to ease my work...
For flash programming I use flashdevelop, since swfmill a.s.o. everything can be scripted so...

staticvoid
December 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM
wow, this really has turned into a web development thread :D !!

COOL!!

Aptana looks good (cool ajax libraries :P), I've seen cinerrella, and yeah, kdenlive is on its way! :)

Zend for PHP, yep :)

and php is not what you see is what you get, lol. like the opposite... i have a strange sence of humor, i know.

wow, flashdevelop, swfmill, cool, I thought flash was only mac and win :P

gtg. off to get a falafel.. yum!

Hey, flashdevelop looks like it needs the .NET framework...?

linuxlizard
December 17th, 2007, 04:03 PM

From what I've read, that simply isn't true. MANY blockbusters have used linux.

Here's a short list that's a few years old, but still you are likely to recognize almost the entire list. Google will likely turn up more that are a little less dated:

http://www.linuxmovies.org/studios.html

Another article which lists even more blockbusters made with linux:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hollywood-Loves-Linux-45571.shtml

Here's some software you can use on ubuntu:

http://www.linuxmovies.org/software.html

Here's a funny:

http://forevergeek.com/games/microsofts_halo_movie_made_with_linux.php

grokwik
December 17th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I couldn't tell cuz I use it only at work (on an XP :X ) but if I'm not wrong, only the last release needs the .NET framework.
Anyway, you can develop all that using a basic text editor too.

Dragonbite
December 17th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Oh, and I use to swear by Dreamweaver due to it's code editing, but then I got stuck into Eclipse when I began using the CakePHP framework. Now I use symfony, which is great.

What is symfony? I haven't heard of that one.

Unfortunately at work I'm working on ASP.NET and Monodevelop just doens't cut it (yet).

I'm curious about Eclipse (for PHP maybe), but does it have any WYSIWYG capabilities?

lyceum
December 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
For web development I like Bluefish or Aptana.

grokwik
December 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM
... And there's Ubuntu Studio too (read the last Full circle release to know more) :
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/downloads/

daverich
December 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM
for movies I really like Main Actor.

It's not free, but then it's probably a good idea to support folks writing payware for linux.

It works well and is very stable.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

bsulzen
December 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Aptana IDE for web development. I liked Quanta's interface and functionality, but it crashed on me often. Probably my computer not Quanta; my laptop has a lot of linux unfriendly hardware

GIMP and Xara for graphics. When they don't cut it (clients that have files that don't play nice with gimp) I have Virtualbox running WinXP with Photoshop. Also use the WinXP in Virtualbox to make sure sites render correctly in Internet Explorer browsers and Safari.

staticvoid
December 17th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Theres an IE4Linux, right? and Aptana you can treat IE bugs within the interface.

bsulzen, What files don't play right with Gimp?

LinuxLizard: Those are awesome! I had no clue :)
Rhythm & Hues did sound effects/ soundtrack for Chronicles of Narnia.
Disney uses Linux??? Its a neat list http://www.linuxmovies.org/studios.html

by the way people, my falafel was delicious.

Oh, and I'm gonna check out Xara.

S.V.

bsulzen
December 17th, 2007, 06:32 PM
There is an IE for Linux, but the fonts did not seem to render the same.

The files that don't play nice with the GIMP are ones with a lot of grouped layers. Gimp will not recognize the groups. So if you have a PSD with 10 groups, nested groups within these groups and a lot of layers in each group, the GIMP will just display this as a list of layers.making it can be a real nightmare to locate the exact layer you're looking for. I think there is a layer plugin for GIMP but I have not tested.

staticvoid
December 17th, 2007, 06:42 PM
aha.. ok

yeah, I've expirienced the layers problem :)

sv

X40nick
December 17th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I thought there was some good web development programs out for Linux such as Quanta Plus, Kdevelop (I am sure that has a web development function) and Bluefish, I am not sure of any more but there is the good old fashioned Vim! or Emacs

Mac's are going to be rendered as useless in a few years, mainly because everything a Mac can do a PC can do for cheaper.

And then soon Linux will take over as a $300 Linux PC will be surely enough for the majority of households. I think that big software companies might start porting the top named applications over to Linux mainly because it is a cheaper solution, but they need to make installing easier. I am about to install (from CD) the same application that I am using for Linux. Windows has the Windows Installer, so no problems there. I have to take the scenic route with Linux.

Hopefully these things will change.

staticvoid
December 17th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Aaahh the future of linux...

Can't wait :D

yay for campanies already developing stuff for linux!!

sv

grokwik
December 18th, 2007, 09:59 AM
To test your websites with the IE engine, you can use the firefox-extension called "IETab" too. It works pretty well.

kpkeerthi
December 18th, 2007, 10:43 AM
for movies I really like Main Actor.

I heard this has been discontinued. True? I can't seem to find it at their website.

daverich
December 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I heard this has been discontinued. True? I can't seem to find it at their website.

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/?id=954

kpkeerthi
December 18th, 2007, 11:03 AM
http://www.mainconcept.com/site/?id=954
Thanks. Too bad there is only rpm and a deb. What do other linux folks do?

daverich
December 18th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Try and get Kdenlive improved i guess ;)

I'm just glad that there is a stable video editor available, you kinda need one these days if you're into media at all.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Dragonbite
December 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
To test your websites with the IE engine, you can use the firefox-extension called "IETab" too. It works pretty well.

The IE Tab only works with Windows because it uses the IE engine. Very handy, though, when testing a site, I use it often as I move the company's intranet site to be more cross-compatible.

grokwik
December 18th, 2007, 02:56 PM
iccchhi... I didn't know (it's rare that I want to feel like I'm in IE :D).

staticvoid
December 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM

There is linux softare called alien that converts rpm to deb.

Super cool!!!! http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien/

sv

aysiu
December 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
From what I've read, that simply isn't true. MANY blockbusters have used linux.

Here's a short list that's a few years old, but still you are likely to recognize almost the entire list. Google will likely turn up more that are a little less dated:

Another article which lists even more blockbusters made with linux:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hollywood-Loves-Linux-45571.shtml

Here's some software you can use on ubuntu:

http://www.linuxmovies.org/software.html

Here's a funny:

http://forevergeek.com/games/microsofts_halo_movie_made_with_linux.php
Further reading:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1980315,00.asp

staticvoid
December 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM
very cool eweek article. i did not know about renderman...

that things about Cars the movie is cool too,

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6281055297.html

Yay :D

pcormack
December 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
vim, firefox and apache friends are all you need

staticvoid
December 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
ja speaka da truth mon ;)

and php5...

staticvoid
December 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM
this whole thread kinda got off track... lol

the BEST linux software is...? lets change category: games! woohoo.. :)

Dov
December 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM
For my favourite software? I do a reasonable amount of web-dev, but generally fairly basic stuff. I just can't go past the good old gedit. It does all my highlighting, makes find/replace easy, has tabs for multiple files etc and stacks of really good plugins. The other one I love for web-dev is the Web Developer plugin for Firefox. You can play with your css in real time watching the results in the main window and stacks more. I get everything looking just right there, then I open it all up in IE - just to figure out how many hours I'll have to waste hacking it all till it works there too...

I don't get it... Micro$oft is a W3C member... but they ignore the recommendations anyway and just do their own thing?!?!

staticvoid
December 24th, 2007, 10:06 PM
yeah.. theres this other one.. firebug? for css real time tweaking

sv

games..?

hessiess
December 24th, 2007, 10:28 PM
blender has a good vid secwence editor and node compositor, it can also be used to make 3d games without codeing

happysmileman
December 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Web development traditionally is done using a programmers editor like emacs(+PHP+MySQL), Bluefish is a pretty cool editor too.

Tell that to Pixar, or do the Shrek films not count as professional? What about Titanic?

How exactly does one define a "professional" film?

new2*buntu
December 25th, 2007, 01:14 AM
My fav game is Assault Cube! It is the only FPS I can get with a decent frame rate on my laptop (sig)

staticvoid
December 25th, 2007, 12:31 PM
cool guys! :D

yeah, blender is deffinatly right up there with the BEST :)

sv

p.s. i'll check out the game. any more neato stuffo? how but ONLY for linux

RunsWithScissors
February 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM

actually linux is used very heavily at places like ILM, Pixar, and Digital Domain

As a matter of fact ILM's entire character animation pipline has been linux since SW episode II

Ast a matter of fact the the only people that are using windows are some of the Previz guys that use3ds max.

Now granted they are not using ubuntu put rather a custom linux OS but still it is actually majority linux is highend production. actually since the more or less death of SGI and IRIX, linux has been the platform of choice in the movie industry.

aysiu
February 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM
actually linux is used very heavily at places like ILM, Pixar, and Digital Domain

As a matter of fact ILM's entire character animation pipline has been linux since SW episode II

Ast a matter of fact the the only people that are using windows are some of the Previz guys that use3ds max.

Now granted they are not using ubuntu put rather a custom linux OS but still it is actually majority linux is highend production. actually since the more or less death of SGI and IRIX, linux has been the platform of choice in the movie industry.
You can read more at LinuxMovies.org (http://www.linuxmovies.org/):
In the film industry, Linux has won. It's running on practically all servers and desktops used for feature animation and visual effects. LinuxMovies.org met monthly in Hollywood for years, but now rarely meets.

Linux is used to create practically every blockbuster movie in theaters today, movies produced by Disney/Pixar, DreamWorks Animation, Sony, ILM, and other studios.

Linux is the most popular operating system for big budget feature film animation and visual effects, with more than 95% of the servers and desktops at large animation and visual effects companies. People outside the film industry, and even inside the industry sometimes, don't realize that Linux is so big at large studios. Linux is the norm in Hollywood and considered the state-of-the-art. In this upside-down world where Windows and Mac are minority operating systems, Linux evangelists would be hard-pressed to find anyone left to convert. The free operating system built by the people for the people has been embraced foremost by film studios.

Hollywood prefers Linux because in the right hands it's better, faster and cheaper. At large companies that have thousands of servers and desktops, the economy and massive efficiency of Linux is felt most. At smaller production companies, Windows or Macs are often more popular because economy of scale doesn't apply. Despite that, some small shops run primarily Linux. Some production companies use a mixed environment. For example, South Park is produced using Mac desktops with Linux servers. Although king in the film industry, Linux is rarely seen in the television industry due to much more modest computer needs.

quinnten83
February 9th, 2008, 07:27 PM

I disagree,
i believe it's either pixar or the one that made shrek one that uses linux for their render farm.
also cinelerra is quite proffesional, albeit a horrid interface with vague terms:)

Mary.Riley
February 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I really like Brasero...

staticvoid
February 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
i've found in my quest for software ubuntu has supplied the best of the best :) yay for ubu

SV