PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Bike Jerseys?

ackey
December 17th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I just saw a firefox bike jersey and it has rekindled my desire for an Ubuntu bike jersey (and I know *at least* 2 other people who would get one in a heartbeat). I've seen plenty of "corporate" jerseys here in silicon valley. Has anyone ever tried any of the "custom" bike jersey companies? Is there any hope that Canonical would someday carry a jersey?

eborchardt
June 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'd get one for sure!!! Let me know if you find somewhere to get one.

KingTermite
June 2nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
That would be cool. I'd probably get one too. :)

I know some bike websites (forums like this place) have created custom jerseys for the website and they have always been happy. I could even find out who they used if enough interest is generated.

scheck32
August 31st, 2008, 12:22 AM
I would love to have an Ubuntu bike jersey. Actually I would love to be part of some sort of Ubuntu Bike team. Let me know if anyone hears of anything.

Buddy's Pal
August 31st, 2008, 12:38 AM
I'll take one!

Size medium please.:)

xl_cheese
August 31st, 2008, 02:23 AM
Here's a good place to get small runs created.

www.champ-sys.com. I used them for our MTB team last year and they turned out well. The prices, min order, and unlimited color options make this place great.

sgarman
September 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM
That would be cool. I'd probably get one too. :)

I know some bike websites (forums like this place) have created custom jerseys for the website and they have always been happy. I could even find out who they used if enough interest is generated.

I recognize your username from BikeForums. :)

I'd be interested in an Ubuntu cycling jersey if the design looks good.

beercz
September 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I would love an ubuntu football (soccer to our American friends) shirt :-)

robbie d
March 2nd, 2009, 04:55 AM
I'd be up for a cycling jersey too. I had sort of an idea, starts with a plain white jersey. A big diagonal flash of dark brown fading to light brown covering most of the front and back, with the logo large in the middle.

darsu
March 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Portland Cyclewear (http://www.portlandcyclewear.com/woolcyclingjersey.html) does runs of wool jerseys.

robbie d
March 5th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Here's something I whipped up for those still interested to comment on. Of course the end design would need to be approved by Canonical for use.

ackey
March 6th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Not a bad design, but I'd love to see something "flashier" (perhaps that is only my taste). I *love* the firefox jerseys (not publicly available, alas) which are similar to your design but have a few more graphical elements. Perhaps the limitations of the personalized jersey design companies would prevent this. I'd suggest less of a focus on the penguin (moved to a sleeve?) and maybe grab another ubuntu graphical element - the background from hardy/intrepid/future releases, for example.

firefox example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deusx/2494323048/in/photostream/

robbie d
March 21st, 2009, 03:32 AM
Like the ideas ackey, i'll see what I can come up with. I think there are some copyright issues with using the other company logos to make it look more flashy. But perhaps we could get the logos from a few apps to use, like thunderbird, firefox, inkscape, gimp etc.

robbie d
March 25th, 2009, 05:12 AM
here's the latest iteration. I'm not sure who designed the "ubuntu tattoo" wallpaper, but it would make a great jersey.

dmizer
March 25th, 2009, 06:18 AM
WOW, I totally dig the second one, robbie d!

robbie d
March 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
thanks, I owe that background to an official one that came from another thread, here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1078423&highlight=favourite+wallpaper&page=2
I dont know where it originated from unfortunately, and the background needs expanding so the text is readable

dmizer
March 25th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Find it here somewhere? Honestly, I should be more aware of where this stuff is :( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork

robbie d
April 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I'm still no closer to finding the original art.

robbie d
August 18th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Bump, I found a local supplier of Jerseys so it's game on. Anyone know who did the background art, or where I can find out, we need to get this approved so I can have some made :guitar:

pitanu
November 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
i'm having these made, if any one wants some let me know. pitanu

robbie d
November 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM
nice design, stands out well, how much you looking at?

ackey
November 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I'm certainly still interested (and know many who might be). Pitanu, what is the price looking like? And the critter on the front is from gimp, right? Any special significance?

robbie d- Any luck finding the art source?

robbie d
November 8th, 2009, 10:43 PM
unfortunately there isn't many tags to go on, unless I post it in the art forum(if there is one) to see if anyone comes forward :)

pitanu
November 10th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Robbie D

The jerseys themselves costs USD 35 on top of which there's postage cost from Bangkok, Thailand, have no idea what this will be will have to check.

Ackey

I was playing around with ideas and I thought the Gimp critter was a great addition to the shirt because for several reasons; a) it makes it look more user friendly, b) it's to show that Ubuntu comes with a complete set of tools, c) the expression is what I look like after a long bike ride, haha.

robbie d
November 10th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I'd certainly be up for that, hoping that postage to Australia isn't some insane amount.:guitar:

pitanu
November 10th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I am getting the jerseys this week, shall pop down to the PO to have it weighed for Adelaide and will let you know so. Otherwise you can always pay Bangkok a visit :D

robbie d
November 10th, 2009, 08:02 AM
great, what sizes are you having made??

pitanu
November 12th, 2009, 10:12 AM
robbie d my jerseys arrived today, nice.

i checked with the post office, a small packet costs 4 us dollars. i forgot to ask them but i think it takes 7-10 days. an air letter is slight more expensive, but should take about 5-7 days.

all the shirts are XL, basically they were made for friends & myself, but we gotta promote the word therefore if international ubuntu cyclists are interested i can be the mail order man :)

robbie d
November 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
any photos of what they look like?????

frncz
November 17th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I would be happy to purchase and wear one. I would need it posted to London.

Mike

robbie d my jerseys arrived today, nice.

i checked with the post office, a small packet costs 4 us dollars. i forgot to ask them but i think it takes 7-10 days. an air letter is slight more expensive, but should take about 5-7 days.

all the shirts are XL, basically they were made for friends & myself, but we gotta promote the word therefore if international ubuntu cyclists are interested i can be the mail order man :)

starcannon
November 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'd like a couple as well.
Wonder what kinda deal we could get on a mass order.

pitanu
November 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM
sorry guys i'm kinda busy at the moment and will be so until 29 nov, i will photograph the t-shirt later and post it.

currently i only have size xl, if you want other sizes i'll need at least 5 in that particular size to make an order.

therefore what would be helpful is to state size of shirts x number need.

i trust you guys so no pulling back on the last minute and i'm left with a couple of shirts i don't know what to do with!

pitanu
December 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Just returned from a busy week, had 1 day of cycling and showing off my new jersey :) Attached is my shirt after a day of cycling, you may spot a couple of flecks of dirt on the back :)

beercz
December 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
I have to say ......

...... that jersey looks pretty damn cool!!

cascade9
December 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Honstly,bike jerserys arent my thing. I dont like the colours, I dont like the cut. Buit I tend to still ride in jeans/shorts and a t-shirt, so make of that what you will ;)

i'm having these made, if any one wants some let me know. pitanu

Are they sublimation prints or just stardard screenprinting? After working on sublimated jerserys for a few years, I would get sublimation over standard screenprinting every time. It cost a bit more, but it lasts a lot better.

I've got black curtains I made at work (sublimated of course) and ever after 10 years in harsh australian sun they arent faded.

I'd like a couple as well.
Wonder what kinda deal we could get on a mass order.

Pretty good I would bet. here place here where you can get jerserys for about $40(sublimated) in orders of 10 or more. No idea on what they would want for 100+, but I wouldnt be suprised if that dropped to $35 or possibly even less. Depending on the style, of course, some styles take a lot more machine work.

Edit- after looking closer, those jerserys do look sublimated, but I'd still like to know for sure.

robbie d
December 30th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Just wondering how things are going pitanu, I sent you a pm about the Jersey :)

starcannon
December 30th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Just returned from a busy week, had 1 day of cycling and showing off my new jersey :) Attached is my shirt after a day of cycling, you may spot a couple of flecks of dirt on the back :)
I would really, really, really, like to buy 2 of these. PM me if you have a chance.

Thanks,
Rob aka Starcannon

WarrenSH
July 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Very nice how much money was involved of the making of this sweet jersey?

robbie d
July 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM
It's been a long time since any replies in this thread, some of us have PM'd Pitanu as well. I don't know about the others but I haven't had any response via pm.

WarrenSH
July 31st, 2010, 06:53 AM
It's been a long time since any replies in this thread, some of us have PM'd Pitanu as well. I don't know about the others but I haven't had any response via pm.

Maybe Pitanu has left this site & is now only a legend to all of us who want this cycling jersey :D

robbie d
August 4th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I guess maybe he rode off into the sunset :D

Chokkan
August 26th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'd like to see a few more distros made as cycle jerseys. Thing is, most places require a minimum of 10 orders :( I've designed a jersey for Archlinux too.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4928540949_fc1987972b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shashinpapa/4928540949/)
Archlinux Cycle Jersey (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shashinpapa/4928540949/) by Koshigaya King (http://www.flickr.com/people/shashinpapa/), on Flickr

Swagman
August 26th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I love all these designs.

If I didn't have such a fat gut I'd buy quite a few

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Ubuntu Community should organise Ubuntu teams to official sports tournaments. Gotta give those couch potatoes some exercise, methinks!

As a plus, we'd get to advertise the Ubuntu cause.

:popcorn:

Chokkan
August 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM
There must be enough people at Canonical who are into cycling, surely.

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I'll be shocked if there isn't. Where do I submit this proposal to?