PDA

View Full Version : I am trying to start a Linux users group...

CCNA_student
December 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I am attempting to start a Linux user's group in my little town of Wheatland. I created a blog, wheatlandlinuxusers.blogspot.com (http://www.wheatlandlinuxusers.blogspot.com), and I will soon put instructions on it, like how to play DVD's, what programs Ubuntu comes with and stuff like that. I have gotten a couple of people to join. I was wondering if anyone had tips on what I should try to do. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sin Cere,

CCNA_student

CCNA_student
December 17th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Could someone please give me a tip? Please.

chadridesabike
December 17th, 2007, 06:06 AM
First: install beryl or compiz-fusion.

Second: show all your friends and their friends too. The "cool" factor will create some desire to have it.

Third: give em a cd copy of ubuntu and tell em how to install it.

Fourth: search the forums for people in your area. try other linux forums.

CCNA_student
December 17th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Could you please tell me what Beryl and Compiz-Fusion is? I have demoed Linux in a few of my classes, and I have given out a few CD's.
And could you tell me what you think of my Linux blog? Thank you.

Sin Cere,

CCNA_student

macogw
December 17th, 2007, 06:13 AM
The 3D desktop, wobbly windows, burning windows, raindrops, etc. stuff are Compiz Fusion

CCNA_student
December 17th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Where do I get these programs from, or do they come with Kubuntu 7.10?

macogw
December 17th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Just install compiz-kde and the compizconfig-settings-manager. Make sure you turn off Kwin's compositing.

jken146
December 17th, 2007, 06:20 AM
The 3D desktop, wobbly windows, burning windows, raindrops, etc. stuff are Compiz Fusion

Yep, install the package compizconfig-settings-manager to be able to set them all up.

CCNA_student
December 17th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Could you tell me how exactly to get Beryl or Compiz-Fusion please?

Flying caveman
December 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM
You might want to come down to Sacramento or Davis to see what they do at their meetings. I've never been to any of them so I don't know what goes on there. But it seems like the Davis Lug is alot more active. Therr web site is a lot more interesting anyway.

http://www.saclug.org/ or http://www.lugod.org/

jken146
December 17th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Could you tell me how exactly to get Beryl or Compiz-Fusion please?

I just did -- read the previous post. That should work for you if you are running Gutsy and have the restricted driver for your graphics card installed. The settings manager will appear in the Preferences menu.

saulgoode
December 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM
There is a GNU/Linux HOWTO (http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/User-Group-HOWTO.html) which contains useful information on managing a user group.

sailor2001
December 17th, 2007, 01:49 PM
start with the basics.... the power of the synaptics package manager.. (system/admin) In there (settings/repositories) change a mirror to someplace close to you..and reload.

CCNA_student
December 18th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Could someone please tell me exactly what Compiz-Fusion is? And does anyone have anymore tips? Please.

daou
December 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Could someone please tell me exactly what Compiz-Fusion is? And does anyone have anymore tips? Please.

Try searching Youtube for videos of it. Search for something like "compiz linux" "compiz fusion" etc. It's the best way to know what to expect.

daou
December 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w
A link to a good one. I haven't used compiz for a year, but looks like it has improved a lot since then.

toupeiro
December 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Please, Please, Please do not take this as a slam against you, its not intended to be.

But, if -you- want to start a linux users group, you better be prepared to answer a lot of these questions yourself in the beginnings until you get an established userbase. Many of the questions you are asking for are well documented on this site and hundreds of other ones. I'm pretty sure if you went to compiz-fusion.org (http://www.compiz-fusion.org/), or went to google and just typed 'compiz-fusion' for example, you would get the exact information you are looking for.

I'm just saying, A lot about a linux users group is about asking for information, sharing information and knowing how to find information.

I sincerely with you the best of luck with your users group!

matthewcraig
December 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM
CCNA_student: People seem to be giving you a hard time here, but I would be happy to let you know about my computer clubs. I am an officer of a LUG at the moment, actually. Shoot me a private message and let me know what kind of club you are looking to start (professional, technical, student, or advocacy?)

toupeiro
December 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM
CCNA_student: People seem to be giving you a hard time here, but I would be happy to let you know about my computer clubs. I am an officer of a LUG at the moment, actually. Shoot me a private message and let me know what kind of club you are looking to start (professional, technical, student, or advocacy?)

I don't think anyone is giving him a hard time.. In fact, I provided a link that directly answered his question, and a method in which he can answer more of his questions. A little Constructive Criticism with 100% intent to help shouldn't be seen as a hard time.

matthewcraig
December 19th, 2007, 04:34 AM
The guy doesn't need Compiz to start a community group, he doesn't need to know how to solve technical questions... if the guy (or gal) has the gumption to start a linux club, then give him the resources to do it. Don't send him down blind alleyways. Yes, the link to the GNU/Linux HOWTO was useful, but, with all the Ubuntu community resources here, we can do better than that to help start new initiatives.

[edit: After reading more of the HOWTO, I see it is not outdated at all. very good resource, especially about incorporation strategies.]

CCNA_student
December 19th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Will the command sudo aptitude install compizconfig-settings-manage install that
Compiz-Fusion thing? I entered what someone posted into google and found this. And on my blog I put instructions to play DVD's, mp3's, and
things like that that most people do on their computer. My guess is almost no one knows what Ogg Vorbis or Theora is. Most of the kids at my high school do not even know what Linux or Ubuntu is. I also will post instructions to get Java, Flash Player, and programs that people would want, need, or expect on their computer. I do not think anyone will care about some fancy graphics features. My biggest problem with Linux was getting Wireless NIC's to work and just playing a DVD. People do not want to work just to go on the Internet or to listen to music or watch a movie. No one wants to go into a terminal and type commands where you must get the syntax exactly right. This is why I am trying to focus on getting basic functionality out of Linux.

Sin Cere,

CCNA_student

macogw
December 19th, 2007, 04:50 AM
it's manager, not manage, but yes that should install everything ya need. Make sure you have 3D video drivers. If you're using vga or the nv driver, you can't get the compositing.

CCNA_student
December 19th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Thank you macogw, I just wanted to make sure I would not break anything. And if I may ask, how did you come up with your screename?
I have no real reason to know, I was just curious. Could you also make some recommendations as to what I should put on my blog please?

Sin Cere,

CCNA_student

macogw
December 19th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Thank you macogw, I just wanted to make sure I would not break anything. And if I may ask, how did you come up with your screename?
I have no real reason to know, I was just curious. Could you also make some recommendations as to what I should put on my blog please?

Sin Cere,

CCNA_student

My best friend in 5th grade nicknamed me maco, and the site requires 6 characters for a username, and my school is GW (George Washington Uni), so I put 'em together. Or if you meant my AIM one, not my uf username, it says "in shadows growing wings" which is lyrics from The Nephilim by AFI

Any neat things you come across that you think others might find useful can go in there.

toupeiro
December 19th, 2007, 06:29 AM
The guy doesn't need Compiz to start a community group, he doesn't need to know how to solve technical questions... if the guy (or gal) has the gumption to start a linux club, then give him the resources to do it. Don't send him down blind alleyways. Yes, the link to the GNU/Linux HOWTO was useful, but, with all the Ubuntu community resources here, we can do better than that to help start new initiatives.

[edit: After reading more of the HOWTO, I see it is not outdated at all. very good resource, especially about incorporation strategies.]

he was given the resources to do it! Nobody gave him a runaround. Moreover, ubuntuforums, the place he is posting, IS the resource he needs to successfully start a linux club! Not only was he given the answers he was looking for, he was informed on how to quickly find answers for himself down the road. What more do you think should have been done?

CCNA_student
December 21st, 2007, 03:44 AM
I have recently updated my Linux User's Group website and I was wondering what everyone thought of my instructions for installing Adobe Flash Player, JRE 6 and so on. If anyone else has tried to started a Linux User's Group please post a comment. That is all for now.

Sin Cere,

CCNA_student

JeffoOfMetal
December 21st, 2007, 03:54 AM
hey, I've got an idea for you!

Were you planning on making any money off this project?

Try maybe getting a computer from somewhere, either donated or from a thrift store or somewhere, install Ubuntu on it (or Xubuntu, if neccessary), and put it on display somewhere. Beef it up with compiz (if the computer can handle it) and other interesting programs, and just let people use it.

You might try to gather old and donated computers and fit them with Linux and sell them or give them away. Then you could put an ad for your "reconditioning" service on the side of the computer on display.

And put it on display somewhere (with permission).

That was just in my head waiting to escape.

:guitar:

CCNA_student
December 21st, 2007, 03:58 AM
I was not planning on trying to make a lot of money but some would
be nice. And that is a very good idea, thank you very much. I will have to find someone willing to give away old PC's. And could you please tell me what you think of the Linux User's Group blog I created.

Sin Cere,

CCNA_student

JeffoOfMetal
December 21st, 2007, 04:01 AM
Just visited the blog and I really think it is and will be a great guide to people wanting to learn more about and switch to Linux.

Very nice. :)

CCNA_student
December 23rd, 2007, 05:32 AM
I was wondering which version of Ubuntu I should recommend to people who want to join my Linux User's Group. Please state why you support the version of Ubuntu that you recommend. I also wonder why Ubuntu 7.10 uses 300MB of RAM with no applications running while Ubuntu 7.04 uses only 192MB of RAM. Could someone please tell me what is so different between these two versions? Thank you

Sin Cere,

CCNA

CCNA_student
December 24th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Help please. I would really like to hear from someone who has started a Linux User's Group before. Thank you

Sin Cere,

CCNA