PDA

View Full Version : PC Specs - update your 486 you sheapskate :)

fatality_uk
December 16th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Just looking through a few posts dotted here and there and it makes me laugh that I see people complaining that, for instance "Quake 4" runs slow and jerky or that it takes a LONG time to open and 35mb image file in Gimp and render a filter. And THEN they post their machine spec, usually P3 512MB ram, IDE hard drive and a Riva TNT GeForce card

As we ALL know, Linux (Ubuntu) walks away with the title for running very well on low spec pc's, but people seem to have this un-realistic expectation that it will run all the bells and whistles on PC's they might have thrown out 5 years ago but have gathered dust in a corner till now.

*Breath in, breath out.... ahh*

Sorry had to get that off my chest! :)

zachtib
December 16th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Heh, Quake 4 is a little jumpy on MY box, but my video card is a bit of a bottleneck. I"ll be buying a 7900GT soon :)

fatality_uk
December 16th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I know the feeling Zac
I am off this weekend to blow the best part of £1000 on a new rig, mostly spent of this *drool*

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-032-EA&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=

As long as I can convince the wife that my 7900GT and duo core2 wont RUN Ubuntu 7.10 that well :)

PrimoTurbo
December 16th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Yes but due to xorg Linux can also run very sluggish on modern PCs.

Tundro Walker
December 16th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Helping someone load Xubuntu / Fluxbuntu on an old 486, breathing new life into it ... FREE & HEART-WARMING!
Helping them set it up as an everyday web-browser, document writer, etc, etc box ... FREE & HEART-WARMING!
Listening to your friend complain because Oblivion is just "unplayable" on said machine through Wine, and thus "Linux sucks" ... PRICELESS & HEART-BREAKING!
Actually, I'd think after a certain amount of time, attrition alone would force everyone to upgrade. A 486 chip can't last forever, can it?