PDA

View Full Version : Streamtuner

Prisma
December 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
if I understand correctly, according to the official website this project is basically dead.

http://www.nongnu.org/streamtuner/

Status

I am no longer working on streamtuner. At the time of this writing (December 3, 2007), the latest release still works well (except for the Live365 support), but it is unlikely that there will be another release of streamtuner in its current form.

And the latest version of this software was release in 2004

Latest Version

streamtuner version 0.99.99, released December 21, 2004.

I am just wondering if the guy who developed this program don't want to work on it any more, why other people don't take over this project? I am just curious since I use this program a lot to stream internet radio in my Ubuntu box and it looks like a lot of people around this forums used it as well and have lots of problems saving the radio streams in their HDDs and selecting defaults media players for this program.

easyease
December 17th, 2007, 04:18 PM
have you tried using kstreamripper to rip radio streams? its the kde front end for the streamripper that streamtuner uses. very easy to set up media player preferences using that.

fuscia
December 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
have you tried using kstreamripper to rip radio streams? its the kde front end for the streamripper that streamtuner uses. very easy to set up media player preferences using that.

even if it's no longer being developed, being able to just click 'record' in streamtuner is much faster than the ritual one must do with kstreamripper. by the time you finally set up a rip in kstreamripper, the song you wanted is over. exaile might be a reasonable replacement for streamtuner, if it ever gets to the point where the final version is unuseable. it has a one click streamripper plugin and features the same menu of stations as streamtuner.

tgalati4
December 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
The big media players (such as Banshee) have a built-in internet radio tuner. Streamtuner is great for older machines and thin clients. Does it really need improvement?

Johnsie
December 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Streamtuner had a good "record" facility. unfortunately Linux seems to lack a good Winamp equivilent. XMMS based sound aps are ok but Winamp has a much better selection of plugins. The streamripper plugin for winamp is great if you find a good radio station you want to record. Unfortunately the linux devloper community isn't big enough to deal with every little project and seems to band together on the bigger projects. Hopefully that will chnage as more developers move over to Linux.

Prisma
December 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM
The big media players (such as Banshee) have a built-in internet radio tuner. Streamtuner is great for older machines and thin clients. Does it really need improvement?

I have banshee but it comes with pre-selected radio stations, like itunes. What i like about streamtunner is that:

1- I can browse hundreds of radio stations of any posible genre.

2- I can see the actual bit rate of the stations, so I can select the ones with better quality.

It is true that xmms player is really old, but I use Audacious, which basically is an updated and improved version of xmms, it have a cool GUI and is easy to use.
You can add stations in Amarok, but it doesn't sound as good, at least in my computer, as Audacious or rhythmbox. :guitar:

koleoptero
December 18th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I have been using exaile for a month now with absolutely no problems. But I haven't tried the streamripper thingy although I have installed it.