PDA

View Full Version : Spring release is better than autumn

foxy123
December 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Well, maybe only for me. It's just based on my personal experience.

I first time tried Warty and could not connect to Internet. So I gave up.

Luckily it was March and Hoary was not far away so as soon as it was out I tried it and was so satisfied that switched from SuSE to Ubuntu.

Then Breezy came out in October 2005. I successfully upgraded and was very disappointed. I do not remember what exactly was wrong with Breezy except it was very slow.

So I switched to development version of Dapper in December 2006, Dapper was so good that I stayed with it until Feisty. I skipped Edgy as I heard of a lot of issues on the forum and Dapper was fine.

Feisty was very good. I upgraded when the beta was out and lived with it until Gutsy was out. However I am not very happy with the latter. I have an issue on my PC and had a few problems on my laptop.

So I was not very happy with all autumn releases: Warty, Breezy and Gutsy and skipped Edgy.

All spring releases worked very well for me: Hoary, Dapper and Feisty. I tried Hardy but it is not very different from Gutsy at the moment so it is not very indicative.

Any comments and personal stories?

SunnyRabbiera
December 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I dunno, my experience has been varied, both dapper and edgy worked but feisty did not... gutsy works and one can only guess how hardy will work as its still under development so...

Iehova
December 16th, 2007, 11:06 PM
On the first laptop I used ubuntu on, Dapper and Edgy worked brilliantly. On the second, Dapper, Edgy, Feisty and Gutsy all worked the same, none of them could shut the blooming thing down (despite my best efforts), but apart from they they were brill. On my new laptop, Gutsy works fantastically. So yeah, it's all been good for me...

%hMa@?b<C
December 17th, 2007, 01:30 AM
only one that I ever had trouble with was edgy. I forget the exact problem, but it had to do with networking.

yatt
December 17th, 2007, 03:33 AM
My PC is pretty new. The mobo was using brand new north and southbridges, so Breezy and prior all kernel panicked while booting.

I started using Dapper Testing. It started out perfect, then I lost sound, then I regained sound and at the same time had to add a kernel option for it to boot. Dapper was released in this state.

Edgy I found to be generally unstable. A 4 month release will do that. Besides that it required a kernel option to boot, but not the same one Dapper did.

Feisty actually booted without a kernel parameter. It has also done the worst job at detecting my monitor resolution. It picks 1024x768@75 (about 75% of the time) or 800x600@75 for a monitor that wants 1280x1024@60. I also got a laptop during Feisty's lifetime, which Feisty refused to boot on.

Gutsy has so far been the first release that has been problem free for me.

Bungo Pony
December 17th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Edgy was pretty unusable for me. The sound didn't work, and even when I did get it working, it was crap.

Feisty had very few problems for me. It had that random freeze problem, but that's about it.

Gutsy has shown a lot more problems for me than Feisty. I still regret upgrading.

Here's to Hardy which will hopefully be a stellar release! :grin:

macogw
December 17th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Edgy was the first to get my card reader working (had to modprobe the drivers, but they didn't even exist in Dapper). With an option added to it, my speakers also worked perfectly in Edgy (on Dapper, they sometimes wouldn't start at boot).

Dapper and Edgy both tended to lock up, though.

Feisty was pretty much perfect. For about 2 weeks after release the card reader didn't work, so I wrote a script to install newer drivers, then they did a bug-fix kernel update which made it work. The wired internet driver wasn't any good still (it hadn't been right all along) and still needed to be rmmod'd and modprobed if I had high throughput. Feisty didn't lock up. Ever.

With Gutsy, the lockups are back. The OpenOffice update a couple weeks ago got rid of the main source of lockups. I think the other is an overheating problem though (just noticed I didn't put on enough thermal compound). The wired internet now works great. GDM & GNOME, however, have issues. Sometimes I log in and the GNOME panel doesn't load, alt+f2 doesn't work, and if I use Compiz keybindings to launch a terminal, the terminal's GTK parts don't load and it goes non-responsive. I don't think that's a GNOME bug, though. I think it's GDM, because if I log out right after and log in with Enlightenment, the same thing happens--can't run apps because they don't respond (titlebar flashes red, meaning the app froze). Bonobo activation server also doesn't die right when you kill X so logging into GNOME after killing X doesn't work unless you kill the process first.