PDA

View Full Version : How many of have been running Gutsy without any problems?

khurrum1990
December 16th, 2007, 03:16 PM
How many of u have not faced any major or annoying bugs in Gutsy? I had a horrible time with Ubuntu 7.10. Kubuntu 7.10 is better for me, but I still have these lockups after a long period of usage like 18 hours or so if its left on. What about u?

CouchMaster
December 16th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I'm running 7.10 Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu - quad boot with XP --- with zero problems! Tried it on another computer and none of the Buntu family works. In my experience it is a question of motherboard/graphics...

Mepis, PCLos, Elive run perfectly on both computers. Go figure.

popch
December 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on a notebook and a tablet PC, both by hp, without any problems at all.

mellowd
December 16th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Ubuntu server 7.10 running here without a single problem

Rhubarb
December 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Running Gutsy Ubuntu, server and fluxbuntu here.
This is the only annoying problem I've come across:

Ubuntu Server does not come with the linux-generic kernel by default, so it can not be easily installed on old CPU architectures (an 800MHz Crusoe chip in this case).

FuturePilot
December 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
No huge issues here.

Flyingjester
December 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Running 7.10 on a hp flawlessly.

khurrum1990
December 16th, 2007, 04:36 PM
The serve edition is probably very stable. What happens with my pc is that lets say compiz fusion is running, then I go on kcontrol center and modify my appearance a bit and save it. Now if I play a video the system totally locks up. Whats the deal with that? Is that a compiz fusion bug or what?

atomkarinca
December 16th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I'm running Ubuntu Studio 7.10 and everything's smooth here.

Incense
December 16th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Running Kubuntu Gutsy with no problems.

mdpalow
December 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Running Gutsy with no problems. In fact, everything works perfectly right out of the box with no manual configurations necessary.

AlanR8
December 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Kubuntu Gutsy on a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21S Laptop. No issues with general operations but the Motion Eye camera and built in mike is not recognised (known issue I believe) and the headphone jack is not recognised. Other than that fast and smooth.

Also on a Dell Dimension 9600 desktop with an ATI PCI Express card. Installed the driver with Envy and Compiz works fine. Sound card is a surround sound and all channels are picked up. Fast and smooth

SonicSteve
December 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
How many of u have not faced any major or annoying bugs in Gutsy? I had a horrible time with Ubuntu 7.10. Kubuntu 7.10 is better for me, but I still have these lockups after a long period of usage like 18 hours or so if its left on. What about u?

18 hours isn't really very long. I leave my Feisty running for days on end without ever contemplating a restart. At work I have a Gutsy box that literally runs for a few weeks at a time and only gets restarted when I choose to, not because it has become unstable.
What kind of hardware are you running? Also if you have run windows on this machine recently did it have similar problems?

CanonKen
December 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I'm running Gutsy on a desktop PC, turn it off about twice a week.
No problems here - touchwood :)

fedex1993
December 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I have had an exlent time with any ubuntu distro ecept with 7.04 i was so happy when 7.10 came out. The only bug tat i have had is with wireless but hey wireless is wireless and if it works that makes me happy

SomeGuyDude
December 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Running 7.10 on a hp flawlessly.

x2

The Noble
December 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM
On my laptop that went defunct, it worked OoTB with minimal configuration, but it was slow and not satisfactory. I eventually rebuilt my kernel and used ndiswrapper for the broadcom card and it was as stable as can be. I was looking forward to the newest broadcom drivers that would come with hardy, but it died on me. My new laptop is quite a bit more powerful and should run a lot faster, but it's doesn't. I would compile a new kernel but my wireless drivers are a pain to set up manually. Oh well, that's why I am testing hardy right now...

khurrum1990
December 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM
no other OS has problems it locks up while trying to play videos after editing appearance in compiz fusion.

AndyCooll
December 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Well, I've had two experiences with Gutsy.

Previously I had two ageing laptops. Traditionally I could install Ubuntu on them without too many hassles and they'd run fine ...not fast, but fine nonetheless. This time however when I finally managed to install Gutsy on them (which was a struggle in itself) they ran like slugs.

So I went out and bought a couple of Dell laptops. And Gutsy has run great on these from the outset. No hassle at all.

:cool:

mmb1
December 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I had one install problem, but that was my fault for doing a net install, other than that, it works perfectly.

satx
December 16th, 2007, 09:04 PM
No problems here other than self inflicted gunshot wounds. In fact, reading the forums I was able to improve all aspects of my PCs performance.

I am running a dual-boot (WIN XP/Gutsy 7.10) on a HP d4650y dual-core 2.4GHz processors w/4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 7300 video card.

CompizFusion works fine, video fine, all USB ports fine. I am also running a virtual WIN XP under Ubuntu using VMware (just because I can). This way I can revert to (ugh) MS if I need to, although I am a less and less frequent user of WIN XP. Down to about 2% of my time on XP, the remainder learning and exploring Ubuntu.

SATX

-grubby
December 16th, 2007, 09:06 PM
no problems at all

NexusGS
December 16th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Ubuntu 7.10 with no problem at all here...

fmartinez
December 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
The serve edition is probably very stable. What happens with my pc is that lets say compiz fusion is running, then I go on kcontrol center and modify my appearance a bit and save it. Now if I play a video the system totally locks up. Whats the deal with that? Is that a compiz fusion bug or what?

Running Gusty with no problems here.... I've heard of similar problems while trying to play games while running the XGL server. It seems that's the issue because once you uninstall XGL games work great. It may be related to your problem.

khurrum1990
December 16th, 2007, 09:28 PM
no I think its a bug in kubuntu with compiz fusion.

Iehova
December 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Gutsy is workin wonderfully on this Acer Aspire 5920 in all aspects except that occasionally if i'm playing a 3D game with compiz enabled the entire system will crash and lock up.

adamklempner
December 17th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Kubuntu Gutsy is what finally pushed me over the edge after a couple years of *buntu... Now I am running PCLOS after a bit of distro hopping.

Problem summary:
Adept broke on the initial update (and then about every other time I tried to install something), had permissions problems with my data partition, and something kept accessing my hard drive every two seconds or so. I think it was really the hard drive "click-crunch-crunch... click-crunch-crunch..." for about a week straight that drove me bonkers.

At least things are quiet now. :)

PatrickMay16
December 17th, 2007, 07:36 AM
I updated to gutsy on a computer, and then it started freezing regularly.

zidty
December 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM
i have been using gutsy for as long as when it was available for online update via fiesty .. and its working awsome .. no trouble atall .. although i never tried rt kernel that came when i installed ubuntu studio package .. nevay guutsy is woking fine for me .. but i m having trouble installing it on my acer notebook 4520 ... but apparantly this note book has some issues too .. so will fix it with time .. nevay the best thing i like about ubuntu is .. I havnt REFORMATTED AND REINSTALLED WINDOWS FOR A LONG TIME NOW :-D .. ubuntu is best linux ..

PartisanEntity
December 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Ubuntu 7.10 on my Asus A6K laptop, no issues at all, it has been nothing but improvements for me, for example suspend finally works.

ardchoille42
December 17th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I have been using Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) and have not yet seen any problems. One of the reasons I think I rarely see problems in Ubuntu or Kubuntu is due to the rules I follow:

1) Always check the repos when searching for an app.

if it's not in the repos..

2) Look for a .deb package which was made for the Ubuntu or Kubuntu release I am using (ie, 7.10). And then run tests (lintian, linda) on any packages I find.

if I can't find the app that way..

3) Compile the app myself using trusted sources (ie md5sum, sha1sum, etc).

if that doesn't work..

4) Find a different app to do the job.

I never attempt to use 3rd party scripts or packages which were made for a different distro or release. This practice keeps my installations safe and stable and keeps my package manager happy :).

Jhongy
December 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM
IN general, no problems on three computers. To be truthful, only minor things:

1. My main computer has been absolutely trouble-free on Gutsy 64 bit (although had to disable apic in boot options -- I have always had to do that with this mobo/cpu (A64 X2 4800+, don't know why).

2. My laptop has also been great (Gutsy 64 bit again)-- although the provided nVidia drivers don't play too well with the laptop's GeForce Go 7300. This is nVidia's fault, and I have to use the older driver, which is easy to install via Envy. This makes the laptop much more stable. Can't blame Gutsy for this. Thanks to the new kernel, uspend/resume worked out of the box this time too :-)

3. My LAMP server is also running great -- although everything worked out of the box, I did switch the included RT61 wifi driver for NDISwrapper because the wifi would cut out.

Although each one needed a tweak or two, it was nothing too onerous. I'm relatively new -- ditched WinXP for good about 18 months ago. I remember windows installs having more annoying "personality" (for example, my HDD controller needed the drivers on a floppy during installation / nForce2 mobo IDE driver caused random crashes / writing tablet caused BSODs etc etc etc).

tribaal
December 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I've been running 7.10 without a single problem on:

- An apple MacPro (64bits edition)
- A 64bits HP laptop
- About a dozen Ubuntu Servers (of theses, 5 physical machines, the rest are virtual machines)

Laptop and MacPro work at 100% (wifi - accelerated 3d - compiz - everything).

- Trib'

cookieforyou
December 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Ubuntu 7.10 with no problem at all.

infoseeker
December 17th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Ubuntu 7.10 without any problems worth mentioning.:guitar:

GMU_DodgyHodgy
December 18th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I have ahome made computer - not cutting edge but not old and I have to say - Gutsy was the smoothest install. It took 1 minute to connect to my wireless home network. I found my windows partition and file and connected to the shared files on the two other windows PCs in my house.

Once I got everything from the repositories I wanted to run my NVIDIA video card and play mutlimedia - done and done.

In Feisty wireless networking was much more a chore. It seems - to me anyways - that each new version is easier to install and use and is more polished.

With Hardy Heron being an LTS release and the focus on cleaning up bugs and putting spit and polish on all the key parts - I will be awaiting anxiously for its release.

icechen1
December 18th, 2007, 02:34 AM
If i wasn't running a laptop,then gusty would be perfect for me,with this laptop microphone and back light(brightness) on battery works very badly because of some bugs.

buzzmandt
December 18th, 2007, 02:37 AM
running gutsy on 3 desktops (2 mine, one my mothers at her house) and 2 laptops (1 hp and 1 acer) no problems on any

roachk71
December 18th, 2007, 02:45 AM
I haven't left my machine on to test for slowdowns after prolonged use.

Other than that, I've had only one extremely annoying problem with the Nautilus disk thrashing bug, which was resolved by switching to Xubuntu (even desktop effects work better, but the screensaver doesn't play nice with those enabled. I'm not a big fan of compositing eyecandy in the first place.)

smartboyathome
December 18th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Running gutsy here without problems, but I contribute that to running Enlightenment instead of Compiz. I do have one bug though (though it doesn't really effect me, since I have two computers).

I used to be able to play 3D games, but now I can't somewhat (they are really buggy and crash a lot).

Espreon
December 18th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Never had problems with Gutsy. In fact Feisty had the most problems of the 3 Ubuntu versions I have used.

Bungo Pony
December 18th, 2007, 04:14 AM
I'm scared to reboot :(

I'm currently sitting in one of the boots where everything's working pretty good. The Gnome error didn't pop up, so I can actually do some audio work. If I reboot, I might get that Gnome error, and who knows when it'll boot up properly again.

Gutsy hasn't been very good for me.

Lostincyberspace
December 18th, 2007, 04:36 AM
This last install yes previous no.

nat6138
December 18th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Everything worked great besides the graphics card, which was an easy fix.

seshomaru samma
December 18th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I`m planning to downgrade back to Feisty or Dapper soon.
This is the first time I used apt to upgrade. Although it was very smooth, there are many bugs in Gutsy and it doesn`t seem to offer anything that Feisty didn`t. Firefox breaks down, having difficulties renaming folders in nautilus, gparted doesn`t see my external harddrive ( i had to boot up from my feisty CD to format that drive).
I could probably solve those little bugs but I don`t have the time so I think I will wait for the next release.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
December 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Its odd hearing some of the problems regarding seeing hard drives, etc.

I have the same dual boot machine that I have had with all the version of Ubuntu I have used going ack to Dapper. With each successive version, I have done a clean install and found that I had to do less work to get key things running like: wireless network detection and connection ; connecting to my windows hard drive on my machine, connecting to my windows home network and accessing shared files on the two other windows machines, getting NVIDIA drivers, and installing codecs; and finally connecting to my HP printer through the windows network.

Gutsy installed quickly and I had my wireless connection in 1 minute - seriously I timed it. In Feisty I had to disable the network manager GUI and modify some files through gedit to get my wireless connection. Samba loaded up on my machine when I tried to connect to the windows boxes on my home network - all done through GUI. When I tried to start the Compix/Beryl effects - Ubuntu prompted me and asked if I wanted install the NVIDIA proprietary drivers - all through GUI did it all on its own. When I wanted to play a Quicktime movie - again Ubuntu handled all the particulars.

My recent experience with Gutsy is only making me drool at how much more refined Hardy will be.

I seriously think Gutsy/Hardy will be the inflexion point to make Ubuntu the most complete and polished Linux desktop.

I also have to add that Gutsy runs faster than Feisty.

Well done Ubuntu team.

gfd_2
December 18th, 2007, 04:20 PM
7.10 64-bit on an HP663us (intel based) laptop ... other then sound (fixed with a script) and wireless I'm loving it.

Wireless still isn't working - restricted driver and the ndiswrapper fixes don't help.

Any suggestions? I'm ready to pickup a Linksys dongle and give that a try 'cuz I need wireless.

If all goes well I'll be moving my desktop to 7.10 32-bit.

OffHand
December 18th, 2007, 04:27 PM
It sucked on my desktop but it runs fine on my laptop. I never figured out why.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
December 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM
its sounds like some of the issues are hardware related. My wireless card is a Linksys card that is on the list of ubuntu supported hardware - it has worked flawlessly. Same thing with NVIDIA card. In addition - since I can connect to all my home window shares - I brought over all my music , photos, and videos by simply dragging and dropping.

Since I build my own machines - I tend to check the hardware compatibility list when I buy components.

sajro
December 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Dell Dimension 2400
- one 2.66GHZ processor
- 756MB RAM
- integrated graphics and sound

No problems. Compiz runs super smooth no hardware driver problems. It's perfect (I daresay better than Feisty was initially.)

jayson.rowe
December 18th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Running Gutsy on my notebook with Zero problems

arashiko28
December 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I have been running 7.10 in my laptop HP Pavilion ze2000 for a full month now, no big issues, even more, about your 18h running lock up, mine was on, for 4 full days, this morning shutted down because of power failure (I take off the batt).

And have another one on Xubuntu 7.10 and it record was 11 days 22 hours. Turned it of to change CD rom, not because it locked up.

Only one bug and I'm about to look a solution, I lost sound effects on my amsn. but besides that, it runs like a charm.

derekr44
December 18th, 2007, 06:54 PM
13-day uptime here. No issues.

chris4585
December 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Yes but i compromised with my problems, even though i think i could fix them if i tried, with compiz installed there was a update that downgraded my compiz-settings-manager but i learned that it was because i had too many sources in my apt list, and i uninstalled and reinstalled... overall i cant change my compiz settings but oh well, when i'm feeling unlazy i'll fix them

user error!

odiseo77
December 18th, 2007, 07:55 PM
No big issues here on any of my two PC's (a Pentium 4 and a Core 2 Duo). The only issue I found was my Ralink wireless card didn't work fine out of the box as it did on Feisty, but I solved it in less than 20 minutes by installing the legacy driver :)

venator260
December 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Running 7.10 on both a Dell Dimension 3000 and a Toshiba Portege M200 tablet with no problems that weren't user created.

rye_
December 18th, 2007, 08:25 PM
running gutsy (ubuntu) from day 1, no problems whatsoever.

bigfox
December 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
No problem

Ubuntu 7.10 running 32 bit on an Athalon XP no problems

Ubuntu 7.10 running 64 bit on an AMD Opteron no problems

Ubuntu 7.10 running 64 bit on a Dell Inspiron 530 headphone jack doesn't work but sound works out the speaker jack. Other then that, no problems

Xubuntu 7.10 running 32 bit on an old Neoware thin client that has been beefed up and has all solid state storage. No problems

Ubuntu 7.10 installed on the PS3. Works better then 7.04 has some strange networking issues. Sometimes it wants to use the wireless only and other times it wants to use the ethernet only. The PS3 does have a strange networking architecture though. The wireless and ethernet are one and the same interface.

All systems were installed using the Alternate CD. The Alternate CD does a better job installing correctly.

All machines but the PS3 and thin client are using full drive encryption.

None of the machines (except the PS3) are dual booting.

lgambett
December 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Gutsy running since 18/10 on an Acer Aspire 3630 and HP pavilion 6373a.
Small problems on backlight management on the HP. Both the PCs are dual-booted (Windows used only in emergencies)

khurrum1990
December 23rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
well my lock up problem is actually a bug in compiz fusion and kde appearance center. that will be fixed soon, oh yeah the update to the 2.6.22-14 kernel does not even boot on my machine so I am just going to continue using 2.6.22-12 kernel.

kamaboko
December 23rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
I dumped my Gutsy install today for a stab at Mint 4.0. So far it has been OK. FireFox freezing has been a never ending source of frustration under Gutsy. Though I've only been using Mint for one day I haven't had that problem....yet. I see that Mint incorporates MPlayer and Flash in its FireFox package, so maybe this is the silver bullet. I can't say for sure.

cwej
December 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM
No problems here...

seaofpepsi48456
December 31st, 2007, 08:26 PM
running Ubuntu 7.10 with no problems here.

malangaman
December 31st, 2007, 08:31 PM
We are running Ubuntu 7.10 on two machines here (Via 800 MHZ cpu and Intel PIII 1Gig cpu, all A-OK. Have Xubuntu on old laptop running great also, out of the box.

dlegend
December 31st, 2007, 08:45 PM
After about two months of trial and error getting my desktop customized to how I wanted it to look and function, I've finally gotten it to work without problems. The only reason I run into problems anymore is if I somehow cause it myself or am trying to do something that isn't easily allowable.