PDA

View Full Version : Weather Applet needs more cities...

Mazza558
December 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM
The weather applet needs more cities. For example, it has the weather for Notttingham, UK, but not Derby. Derby's a city with 250,000 people living in it. Nottingham is about 15 miles away from Derby - the weather/temp could be entirely different! Think of all the 250,000 people who could try Ubuntu but get put off by the weather applet!

Nevon
December 16th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I've never gotten any weather applets to work. It doesn't seem to work with any cities in Sweden. Hell, I was in Japan a few weeks ago, and I couldn't even get it to work with Tokyo!

popch
December 16th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I've never gotten any weather applets to work. It doesn't seem to work with any cities in Sweden. Hell, I was in Japan a few weeks ago, and I couldn't even get it to work with Tokyo!

I am running Ubuntu Gutsy and have just tested the weather applet. I can select several sites in Sweden and get different temperatures, wind speeds, visibilities and so on. Not being there, I can not tell if the data corresponds to the actual weather.

I have selected those locations:
Borlänge
Gällivare
Kalmar

One of them had no data on sky coverage, if that's the term.

mdsmedia
December 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I'm in Melbourne, Australia, and it works here. We have several weather stations, Melbourne itself is about 40km from where I am, so it would be nice to have all the stations, but I have no problem with getting Melbourne weather, and all the other info.

shen-an-doah
December 16th, 2007, 01:04 PM
The weather applet needs more cities. For example, it has the weather for Notttingham, UK, but not Derby. Derby's a city with 250,000 people living in it. Nottingham is about 15 miles away from Derby - the weather/temp could be entirely different! Think of all the 250,000 people who could try Ubuntu but get put off by the weather applet!

I feel your pain as I live in Leicester.

I won't this afternoon though, as I shall be back home in Bristol for Christmas... :P

speedwell68
December 16th, 2007, 01:09 PM
It has St. Mawgan, a little village a few miles from here. I'm guessing it has that because of RAF St. Mawgan and the Airport.

23meg
December 16th, 2007, 01:18 PM
File a bug. Posting to forums rarely fixes things.

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gnome-applets

Kimm
December 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Really? I use the gnome applet for Skellefteå and it gives me all data. The XFCE applet worked just as well.

Nevon
December 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Really? I use the gnome applet for Skellefteå and it gives me all data. The XFCE applet worked just as well.

In other words, I must be doing something wrong. Which one are you using, and how did you configure it?

-grubby
December 16th, 2007, 07:12 PM
yah you're right a city 50 miles away from me that has 200,000 people isn't even on there!

TreeFinger
December 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I was disappointed to see there wasn't a way to just enter your zip code and get the weather conditions..

I know there is an irc script using '@weather &zipcode&' which will give the current weather report for the city corresponding to that zip code. Why can't the weather app do this?

Kimm
January 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM
In other words, I must be doing something wrong. Which one are you using, and how did you configure it?

I'm using the one that comes with Gnome (Weather Report 2.20.0) and I simply selected my city in the list of locations.

ZapalacX
January 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I like the weather app that comes with AWN. It's the weather channel's and has EVERY city.

Ozor Mox
January 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I'm pretty sure it depends on whether your town or city has an airport. Large towns near me that have no airport are not on the list, but small towns with small airports or RAF bases are.

Seti
January 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Works great for me here in Thunder Bay Canada!
AFAIK we have way more locations supported in Weather Report than they do in the equivalent applet for OS X.

mr.propre
January 7th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty sure it depends on whether your town or city has an airport. Large towns near me that have no airport are not on the list, but small towns with small airports or RAF bases are.

I guess so, I know for instance that all Belgium airports deliver free weather report with a 15 min delay (real time is possible when you pay) Belgocontrol (http://www.belgocontrol.be/belgoweb2/) and KMI (http://www.kmi.be)

It would be fun do ad your own data, for instance if you have a small weather station that is connected to your home server, you could transfer real time data to Gnome.

Also MS Vista is using the same way to give the weather, my sidebar applet says Aalst, but its Zaventem.

rune0077
January 7th, 2008, 03:34 PM
My city isn't there either. But that's okay, I always just pick a place in a much warmer climate, like Australia or Miami, that way, I always get sunny days:)

Nevon
January 7th, 2008, 06:00 PM
The AWN one and the Gnome default one both work for me. However, the gdesklet ones don't work.

max littlemore
April 24th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I'm in Melbourne, Australia, and it works here. We have several weather stations, Melbourne itself is about 40km from where I am, so it would be nice to have all the stations, but I have no problem with getting Melbourne weather, and all the other info.

I beg to differ.

I am in Melbourne and while the applet is giving me a temperature and a little picture of the sun, the temperature is about 6 degrees off, which is significant. It is always wrong to the point that I don't bother with it. I grab a web browser and go to bom.gov.au or theage.com.au.

According to both bom and theage, it is 24 and sunny (no jacket required), according to the applet, it is 18 (need a jacket in the CBD).

If there was an advanced properties option that gave a more granular station selection it would be better, not just cities, but actual weather stations. Being able to average multiple weather stations would really rock.

Maybe it really is six degrees colder at Mount Dandenong or somewhere(?)

elamericano
April 24th, 2008, 05:34 AM
File a bug. Posting to forums rarely fixes things.
Interesting advice. I wouldn't like to see this bug opened. Filing a bug won't force them to build more weather stations. This isn't a bug, you'll never have every city in the world.

A forum discussion is where this belongs, to share opinions and maybe get some background on how it works.

23meg
April 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Filing a bug won't force them to build more weather stations.

Certainly, and neither will posting to forums. However, filing a bug report can get help get in existing weather stations that aren't available in the list.

to share opinions and maybe get some background on how it works.

Sure, but I've never seen threads with titles in the form of "$SOFTWARE needs $FEATURE" produce any outcome on their own when posted to support and user discussion forums, but filing a good bug report in the upstream bug tracker or contacting the relevant people who can actually do something about it with plans (or better, patches) can.

Saya
April 24th, 2008, 06:11 AM
The weather applet lists a tiny airport some 10km away from me. So far it has never given me any kind of data at all, so I'm using one 100km away instead.

elamericano
April 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
It uses the National Weather Service for domestic data, and I don't see the city I want here:

http://www.weather.gov/data/current_obs/seek.php?state=ca

So, I guess I shouldn't bother the good folks at Gnome, since their source isn't providing it.

colorcol
April 24th, 2008, 07:26 AM
should?
ah o ,maybe you should get the weather from TV!

popch
April 24th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Is it possible to add your own weather station if you know its address?

fjf
April 24th, 2008, 10:06 AM
The screenlet clearweather can show Derby.

frankO
May 25th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Is it possible to add your own weather station if you know its address?

The files that have the city information are
/usr/share/libgweather/Locations.xml
/usr/share/libgweather/locations.dtd

I don't know how you can read them though.

Excedio
May 25th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Ummm...thread's last post is over a year old.

grege
May 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM
@frankO

The last post was a year ago, but seeing as you have restarted it and live nearby (I am in Eltham) I have a question.

Are you getting the Melbourne forecast? it has stopped for me. I just get "Forecast not currently available for this location"

I know the data is still there and available because I can get it other ways.

philinux
May 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM
2 years old!!

Excedio
May 25th, 2010, 01:46 PM
2 years old!!

And yet...still open...

fatality_uk
May 25th, 2010, 01:46 PM
2 years old!!

Gotta say, dragging a two year old thread kicking and screaming back to life is not a bad feat :)

Mazza558
May 25th, 2010, 06:13 PM
And yet...still open...

And it's still an issue after all this time...

:P

grege
May 26th, 2010, 12:06 AM
And it's still an issue after all this time...

:P

There are no issues with the original thread, many more cities have been added. This is merely a non Ubuntu related side issue.