PDA

View Full Version : WINE users will be able to play Half-Life 2 on Linux!

BWF89
November 28th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Looks as if Wine users will be able to enjoy the fun filled bliss that comes from playing a blistering game of Half-Life 2. Linux gamers all over must be loving this. Sounds like a magical dream that is too good to be true, I think that this could potentially be the start of something wonderful.

As more and more games work with Wine and in some cases right off of the Linux partition, gamers are deleting their Windows partitions by the thousands. I only hope that before they decided to do this they remembered to save all of their Tux wallpapers from the Windows desktop. ;o)

TransGaming Technologies, the world's leading developer of software portability products, today announced unprecedented Linux support for this year's most highly anticipated video game, Valve Software's Half-Life 2. On the heels of its commercial debut, TransGaming's Cedega product will run Half-Life 2 on the Linux operating system, right out-of-the-box.
http://channels.lockergnome.com/linux/archives/20041119_halflife_2_goes_linux.phtml

beeldings
November 28th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Now I have a good reason to purchase a new computer. You just can't use your PC as a gaming platform when it's still running a Pentium II and a 6.4 GB hard drive. :)

crun
November 29th, 2004, 04:26 PM
The "emulation" of Half-Life and many other games in this case is done with Trangaming's Cedega (formerly WineX). They've modifed the standard Wine code for among others more compatibility with DirectX. A fierce debate exists out there about whether to support their emulation efforts or instead try to bring more native ports of mainstream games to Linux (e.g. Loki), so you'll have to make up your own mind whether you want to buy a subscription for Cedega.

I tried the beta version that lets you play the new Half-life 2 along with serveral other new Valve games, and while it works flawlessly, the framerate for me is still verrrrrry slow (and I do have a good videocard and enough RAM). Hopefully when the new official version of Cedega comes out (around 9th of December) it will have improved.

HiddenWolf
December 5th, 2004, 06:30 PM
The "emulation" of Half-Life and many other games in this case is done with Trangaming's Cedega (formerly WineX). They've modifed the standard Wine code for among others more compatibility with DirectX. A fierce debate exists out there about whether to support their emulation efforts or instead try to bring more native ports of mainstream games to Linux (e.g. Loki), so you'll have to make up your own mind whether you want to buy a subscription for Cedega.

I tried the beta version that lets you play the new Half-life 2 along with serveral other new Valve games, and while it works flawlessly, the framerate for me is still verrrrrry slow (and I do have a good videocard and enough RAM). Hopefully when the new official version of Cedega comes out (around 9th of December) it will have improved.

Native 'nix games, please.

However, that's not going to happen anytime soon. We'll have to see 'nix standards first, then openGL providing a way to program games that's more efficient then DX, and then some reports need to come out that 'nix has 10-20% of the market.
After that, in a few years, we'll see some more games.

In the meantime, we'll have to beg cedega to become much faster/better.