PDA

View Full Version : I think another IM virus is on the loose (Please read).

some_random_noob
December 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I was talking to a friend today and she randomly said the following:

are these your pics? http://msgrpics.net/?msn=<insert email addy here>

I opened the link in Epiphany (My secondary/kamikaze browser which has Java & JScript disabled) and it had a file download... it said it was a BIN file and I thought to myself "wtf?" and downloaded it. It turned out to be a Windows executable file (Obviously a virus) which I couldn't open anyway.

This is incredibly dodgy, and it appears to send itself to everyone in the infected person's address book. What pisses me off the most is that the infected person I mentioned at the start of the post is 13. And if this virus gets sent to all her friends, chances are that a lot of them will open it <snip>. I don't know if this virus is old or what, but I want to stamp out this BS as it seems to have infected another one of my friends as well.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so, please mention. Cheers!

khurrum1990
December 16th, 2007, 10:06 AM
It hasn't happened to me but I have heard this a lot. These viruses aren't really what u can call dangerous but they r annoying and r still viruses. Though any basic anti virus should get rid of them.

tnseditor
December 16th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I have also had that happen to me. The message was from a friend and I tried and tried to get it to run, but it wouldn't... boy was I disappointed :lolflag:

macogw
December 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM
(13 yearold people aren't the greatest when it comes to computers)

Fixed.

EDIT: I thought those were worms since they spread but don't really do much in the way of damage.

corney91
December 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I got this a couple of times a few months ago.
It downloaded a file with the ending '.jpg_<email address>' so I can't imagine many people opening these files.
I did though;)

some_random_noob
December 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM
It hasn't happened to me but I have heard this a lot. These viruses aren't really what u can call dangerous but they r annoying and r still viruses.

Even if they're not dangerous, they could easily be adapted to destroy your whole system. People need to avoid these IM-worms regardless of threat - if we simply shrug our shoulders and don't care, then hackers will use the same exploits with a different pay load. Lets discourage the use of IM-worms immediately.

If something like that can spread via MSN, then I'm concerned.

speedwell68
December 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I take that these viruses will have no effect on a Linux system?

corney91
December 16th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I take that these viruses will have no effect on a Linux system?

The one I tried to install didn't

aimran
December 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM
The paths of critical files stored on Linux and Windows are different. It won't have an effect.

NovaAesa
December 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I use Jabber for IM, but still have lots of MSN contacts who I connect to through a transport server. It's a bit of a worry this worm thingy, because lots of my friends rekcon they have gotten it and most of them aren't computer savvy enough to know how to avoid this kind of thing.

happysmileman
December 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
That happened to me as well, well a similar message, I quit as soon as I saw it was an executabvle, but that didn't stop two of my friends getting infected

some_random_noob
December 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
It's a bit of a worry this worm thingy, because lots of my friends rekcon they have gotten it and most of them aren't computer savvy enough to know how to avoid this kind of thing.
Tell all of them to get the latest spybot, ad-aware, zonealarm and windows defender. Bonus points if you get them to use firefox/opera and also do their browsing as a limited account.

LaRoza
December 16th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Tell all of them to get the latest spybot, ad-aware, zonealarm and windows defender. Bonus points if you get them to use firefox/opera and also do their browsing as a limited account.

Or Ubuntu.

I actually never use "security" software, just a firewall (close all those ports), and a limited account.

mmb1
December 16th, 2007, 08:46 PM
When I still used Windows, I was so paranoid about security i refused to download anything or click on links, so out of habit i almost would never get an IM virus.

Besides, It's impossible for me to now!