PDA

View Full Version : What kind of camera do you have?

Luigi239
December 16th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Well, I just bought a new digital camera today. It's the Fuji Finepix z10fd. (http://i.pricerunner.com/prod/5_19_6_10_983187l/Fujifilm_FinePix_Z10fd_Green.jpeg) Looks like a really nice camera...not sure about the green (I'm a guy), but I'll find out on wendsday when it comes. (gahh, or maybe i should cancel the order and get something more manly like black...what do you think?)

Anyway, what kind of camera do y'all have? A simple point and shoot, or a nice DSLR? What do you mainly take pictures of?

Also, an aside, whats a good photo organizer for linux? I've been using Fspot since Picasa on Ubuntu is horrible.

Lostincyberspace
December 16th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Eye balls. But if I got one it would be a cannon rebel, not sure which one though.

Luigi239
December 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Eye balls.

Oh yeah, I had that camera for a while. Battery life was horrible, it had to be recharged every night...

/pun

p_quarles
December 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM
I have an older Kodak, 4 megapixel, point-and-shoot. It's not fancy, but it lets me share stuff with friends and family.

As for the color not being "manly" enough, I think you would be well within your rights to ignore and/or punch anyone who made an issue of such a thing. Not something to worry about.

boast
December 16th, 2007, 07:48 AM
its a cute color

:)

KiwiNZ
December 16th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Canon DSLR , EOS400D , with several lens's

Its awesome

JurB
December 16th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Nikon D70, still does the job for me.

vishzilla
December 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I got a Sony DSC T100

speedwell68
December 16th, 2007, 01:16 PM
A Fujifilm Finepix S5600. My only critisim of it is the flash is a bit pants.

aimran
December 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Lumix FZ50. Nice allrounder camera.

Bartender
December 16th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Canon DSLR , EOS400D , with several lens's

Its awesome

Oh, yeah, Kiwi, rub it in :)

Olympus SP-500UZ. Nice compact camera for our back-packing trips, holds four AA's for long battery life. Have several NiMH's and keep them charged because I hate using disposables, but if caught without charged batteries I can buy some alkalines anywhere.
It's been a good little camera, Ubuntu recognizes it no problems.

I'm experimenting with digiKam cause some folks said it's handier than F-Spot but digiKam acts a little flaky in Ubuntu on our old PC. It may work flawlessly on others.

fatality_uk
December 16th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Nikon D50e, 18-55mm, 50mm, 300mm etc etc....
When I go snowboarding, I use my Sony Erricson K800i, wel I aint carrying al THAT kit up a mountain :D

infoseeker
December 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Sony Ericsson K800i...takes great pictures :D

Myglaren
December 16th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Olympus E-500 + 2 lenses (zooms) came as a kit at bargain basement price as they had lost the battery & charger instore somewhere, got a terriffic discount then bought a pair of batteries and charger + a spare 2Gig xD card from eBay for next to nothing.

With what I saved, I also bought a Kodak C875 8Mpxl point & shoot (again, end of range item @ 1/3 of the price two weeks previously)
Unfortunately I lost that one after a party in September. Chucked the DSLR, Laptop, Kodak and a heap of other rubbish in the boot of the car and haven't seen it since. Still peeved about that:confused:

For photo handling, a combination of Fspot & The GIMP (badly).

The Olympus choice was largely driven by brand loyalty as I have used Olympus 35mm SLRs since the OM-1 was released and I have in the main been pleased with the camera. It's the operator that needs an upgrade.

fuscia
December 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM
My only critisim of it is the flash is a bit pants.

'a bit pants'?

anyway, i've got a nikon 5600. love the glass.

rm_mn
December 16th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Panasonic Lumix TZ1

A nice shirt-pocket size camera with a 10X optical zoom without the lens sticking out much. I've taken it on a 10 day trip without needing the battery recharged, although I only took 150 pictures. I bought a spare battery and a charger with 110V plug in and a car adapter and a spare 1 Gb card so I can fill one card and put it away while I use the other. It came with a nice cordura case that holds the camera, a spare battery, two extra SD cards and the USB cable. My only gripe with the case is the lack of a belt loop so I don't have to carry the camera in my hand.

red_Marvin
December 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Canon eos 350d + sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 and a Nikon ef + 35mm f/2 + 85mm f/2

Digital is easier to use, but you can't replace the work in a darkroom with gimp/photoshop... ^^

jken146
December 16th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Pentax K100D
Very good indeed for the price.

DrSavage
December 16th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Nikon D80, Nikon D200, 4 old 35mm Nikon cams and a sony K800i

Ive just trashed Vista and only have Ubuntu running. It took me ages of research to find all the tools I needed and learn them, which is why I think so many people are put off doing the switch.

I did have dual boot vista and Linux, why I was learning but didnt want to go MAC. Next purchase is an area 51 alien laptop with unbuntu installed. This Aspire is nice to look at but at 3kg is a bit heavy. Plus if you check out Youtubes and search for aspire gemstone 5920g, there are some other reasons not to use it as a light laptop (mainly the lid not fitting properly and clicks when pressed and sometimes I find the laptop started up why the lid is closed)

All in all it runs Ubuntu very well and I now have a windows XP, vista and Ubuntu ISO image of the model I have, if any one doesnt want to do the hard work ? lol

Dixon Bainbridge
December 16th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Pentax K100D
Very good indeed for the price.

The pentax is fantastic for the price.

I own a Nikon D40x DSLR
Minolta 404si SLR
Praktica MTL5 SLR, fully manual, circa 1970. Fantastic light metering.

On my wish list is more glass for the Nikon, a 1960's Leica compact, and an Olympus Trip from the 60's also.

Also fancy a Lomo camera as well. :)

arigram
December 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM
My primary system is of
Hasselblad 501CM, 503CW bodies, 40,80,120,180 lenses, Winder CW, macro tubes, 3 film backs & 1 polaroid.
I use the Sekonic L-558 and Gossen Sixtomat Digital lightmeters and a few Metz and Elinchrom strobes and accessories.
I also have a digital Nikon D-70s and a few film cameras for secondary uses (Nikon F90X, Nikon F, etc).

Maybe I should also mention that I am a professional photographer...

Dixon Bainbridge
December 16th, 2007, 03:57 PM
My primary system is of
Hasselblad 501CM, 503CW bodies, 40,80,120,180 lenses, Winder CW, macro tubes, 3 film backs & 1 polaroid.
I use the Sekonic L-558 and Gossen Sixtomat Digital lightmeters and a few Metz and Elinchrom strobes and accessories.
I also have a digital Nikon D-70s and a few film cameras for secondary uses (Nikon F90X, Nikon F, etc).

Maybe I should also mention that I am a professional photographer...

I would have guessed from that gear :)

tuebinger
December 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Nikon D70. I mostly use it on vacations. Use iPhoto for organizing them on my mac, but I'm new to Ubuntu and am still cautious about moving them over to Linux (+ re-organizing them would be a big task - I have 5,000 + images)

phenest
December 16th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3. Awesome camera! Excellent build quality. Up to 15x optical zoom. And it uses an SD card which means I can use it in my memory card reader.

klange
December 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Canon PowerShot S5IS
It's a hybrid of an SLR and a compact (the actual case is SLR-styled: big and black in color, with a hot shoe for a flash). 8mp, 12x optical zoom, flipping LCD screen, digital viewfinder, does video at up to 640x480 and 60fps (stereo audio as well), takes amazing pictures. Uses an SD cards and four AA's.

Unicycle
December 16th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Canon Rebel XT (DSLR) with the 18-55mm kit lens
Fuji Finepix E510 as a backup and snowskiing camera

mellowd
December 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Canon 350D with Canon 10-22mm, Canon 24mm f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.8, Sigma 27-70 EX DG f2.8 with loads of filters and other stuff

Canon powershot A95

Brindled
December 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Kodak C743

i wish it had the ability to deal with motion blur problems. other than that, it'll serve my purpose.

it has run flawlessly with linux's photo extraction.

jespdj
December 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Canon EOS 5D (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=11933) and a few nice lenses. :) Yes, that's a big and expensive camera.

beercz
December 16th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I have a Canon PowerShot S2 IS (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/Canon/s2is-frontback.jpg)

staticvoid
December 16th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Cybershot DSC-T200, 8.1 Megapixel, 5x Optical/2x Digital Zoom, Digital Camera (Black)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/519854.jpg

its slick. love it. :)

sv

popch
December 16th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Nikon SLR F-801s with AF Micro Nikor 105mm 1:2.8 and a Nikor Zoom somewhere between 40 and 135mm (too lazy to go looking)
Rolleiflex TLR (pre-WW II vintage)
Minox B type
Polaroid 103
Nikon Coolpix 8800
Samsung NV3
Sony Ericson phone (k800, I believe).Plus one 35mm film point-and-shoot for the wife and an ancient (~100years) bellows camera for glass negatives. I don't know if it is still tight but the lens and the shutter seem to be working all right.

ecr959
December 16th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I have this really great Kodak z710. 7.1 megapixels. I don't have any, complaints at all. I love it, the photos are great, I even bought a zoom lens for it from Amazon.com, I use a tripod of almost all my photos with it. I can take very nice portraits, they look like Pro photos, but I am just an amateur.

Erdaron
December 17th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I have an aging Canon PowerShot A510. I've had it for several years - an impressive survivor. It's lived through snowstorms, desert heat, and has a few dents and scratches on its casing to show for it. Alas, its capacitors seems to be dying, as it takes a long time to recharge flash. And CCD seems to be deteriorating, in its old age.

(Also, Canon has released API for these cameras, so there is an HDR control software kit available, which allows some truly crazy pictures of amazing quality.)

I'm getting a new camera soon, and I'm strongly considering Canon S-series.

Neobuntu
March 10th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Panasonic DMC-FZ18K (K is black)

Yes, Nikon and Cannon seem to be tops at the low end ($100 - L10. $129 - L14 today) point-and-shooters and the high end DSLR's (minimum $700 really and more with a flash. Over $1000 is way too easy to do). So why did I get a Panasonic? It's the best in class Ultra zoom. It's easy to carry. It's gobs less cash, than a DSLR set, and it goes from an equivalent 28mm (group or landscape shots) to 504mm (no kidding) telephoto zoom(clearly and flatly). It does darn near everything. A new; Fully intelligent scene selecting, camera auto setting auto mode. Full (joystick) manual. It takes pictures faster than most (Almost like the best DSLR's, but not with flash) given the same settings, the lens is a very high quality (Leica). About the only thing it does not do, is take pictures well at really low and dark light(with flash off) and also then with movement. But what does? Yet, it does have many auto sport scene modes and a high sensitivity mode. Not many DSLR's have extremely low noise either. DSLR do better with light (by theory) due to a bigger lens and a bigger sensor for the light tp "see" if all other things are equal. DSLR's also have specific disadvantages too(beyond the ridicules prices.) Too many for my pocketbook. Weight, dust, lack of movie modes, limited fully matched lenses (you'll want the higher priced matched and fully capable ones). The falsh can caost more than the FZ18 total. Etc... No offense, to those of you with finer DSLR cams(or other types). Some of the DSLR's are starting to be able to frame the shot in the LCD screen. Their price and size are dropping (Maybe $800 total for a cheaper set). While there are many pros and cons, I think I would regret spending $800 minimum and doing overall less. Not that DSLR's don't do some things better.

All point and shoots cams suffer low light noise. DSLR's do not eliminate it. Yet, you can work around this problem with by shooting in raw mode, post processing for noise with included RAW edit software(if not a flash and/or multiple/bounced lights; light a white "index card" off a white ceiling). Raw is the so called, "digital negative". Like a photo negative.

Me thinks, if you have a DSLR, you're going to like it. For us(my family) this little Panny is the best camera in the world. $281.95 free shipping after a $30 visa app bonus on Amazon. (now $269.95 shipped if you also do the visa deal!). Priced matched! Thank you Amazon proper!

Don't even think about buying from the typical no name, lowest price on the net (which is about the same price after shipping anyway), if you do not know the dealer. It's a rip off. Google it. Different "Grey market" camera, hard sell, delays, return hassles. Always assume you might have to return it and know (don't guess) they will and fast (with shipping). Else you may have just discovered what happens to broken; returned cameras(or worse).

Anyway, my fz-18 does very well. It takes SD and SDHC cards. It has a Lithium Ion battery pack (less weight, keeps charge longer and while in storage, single battery in/out) and a neat wall charger. This fz-18 also makes Quicktime movies (up to 848x480 30fps 16:9) to rival many camcorders (try that with a DSLR. Do any DSLR's do movies now?). It's menu and screen (and viewer) are very nice. It comes with a decent Panasonic-raw editor program (the other "viewer" software stinks). EDIT: The Media Impression program, is where I found the nice retouching(and more) is done. I have the Silkypics (matched) RAW editor too. It's now partly working via Wine in Kubuntu (but it stinks). Using "PTP" camera mode, It lets Digicam get the pics via USB cable (but not movies. I have to use a external memory card, to (SDHC) USB reader(which is best); until the camera, mass storage, is fixed in Kubuntu, again. It worked with Feisty (for cams).

UPDATE: I don't need no stinkin' Windows photo software! :) Hardy 8.04 even does the RAW format from my FZ18 camera now. I just use Digicam. ...Haven,t even had to fire up the Gimp. Plus, I could run Photoshop in WINE if I wanted to but I didn't like it, comparatively. I've heard so much about Photoshop and I was not even impressed with it.

Of course these cameras are better than we are. You can take good pics with nearly any camera; if you try hard enough. I'm loving learning photography, all over again and more. I reject good pics that are better than we used to accept (as best) with our decent old 35mm auto snapper (IQ-Zoom). Lighting (contrast, exposer, color) is much improved. I wonder what the future will bring?

You can find many example pics on the net and compare different cams that way.

If you (like most ) want a low cost (not so zoom) pocket digicam,
I note, the older Fuji F30 and F40(just selling out) are superlative in low light situations So much so, they require knowledgeable manipulation in bright sun (Exposer down a notch, I think), they are reported very good; with dinner light. The new F50 does not seem to continue the overall excellence.

All the other really good, 10X and under zoom cams with nice, comparable features, COST MORE than my FZ-18. If you keep going; on to an ultra-compact, they'll cost you more and do less. So, be careful about "cute", ladies. This FZ-18 may not be exactly what you had in mind (Black or Silver) but it takes better pictures and more automatically. It's about the size of Two compacts together, with a really high quality Leica lens(perhaps most important). It's Not that big (Max zoom barley extends either). It style is like a new, compact, lighter on the neck, DSLR. My wife prefers it. So, a double sized, compact bag, and I'm good.

Get these cams in your hands first, and see for yourself. Be careful about first impressions, as a novice. I put multi-use picture quality highest on the list (under $700).

Walmart has the (smaller, lighter) FZ-8 (Your Walmart may be negotiable with new stock coming in! Don't forget tax), but for $30 more, I'd order and get the 18 instead. You get a lot more and a real improvement, for that +$30(or so). If you try hard enough, you may get the fz-8 (or FZ18 preferred) for $60 less with a reputable online site; if you include extra discounts and promotion deals. Still! I recommend the FZ-18. Why wouldn't I. I bought it.

I was a little worried about some low light imperfections but after more experiments (Real Burst shooting, low light manual, natural light WB metering, clear movies, Exposer tweaking, joystick control, Shutter priority mode and several scene modes), I am flabbergasted! Full auto or the latest pro, manual controls. It's got it all. With multiple choice software editors, you can do it all.

A camera is a highly subjective thing and well suited to the persons wishes. This is just what I think. If you're like me, get it and tell us what you think.

Neobuntu
March 11th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I'd be interested in your views, too. Especially pro photographers.

Also, How are you using (K)ubuntu for Photography? The Digicam application seems convenient. It views, it edits, it grabs the pics off the camera, it organizes them, it shows how the camera was set for the photo and more. Then, Gimp seems to have everything; under the sun, for graphic manipulation.

LaRoza
March 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM
The only device I have that can take pictures is my webcam. It is a Logitech Quickcam Chat.

Not really the best for photography, but for a quick headshot or a clip it is good.

NJC
March 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
- Nikon F65 (N65) SLR film

- Canon SD850IS (unopened). I've used the SD800 and it takes nice shots. Would have liked to get the Nikon D40 but ~$600CDN including taxes is too much for a camera.

unityofsaints
March 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Nikon D200 here. Photo organisation / editing is actually literally the ONLY reason I still boot into windows. I use Lightroom and Photshop CS 3, both of which will not run reliably / fast enough under wine or virtualisation. When I'm forced to do a but of messing with photos under Linux I use fSpot but I've recently started looking at LightZone (http://www.lightcrafts.com/products/index.html).

EnergySamus
March 11th, 2008, 08:18 PM
1. Cell Phone 1.3 MP. It takes pretty good pictures for a cell phone.

2. Kodak Easyshare 3.1MP. It is old, but it works good for point and shoot/ Short video clips

EnergySamus

alzie
March 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Fuji Finepix s5200

Its big and clunky and fits my hands :lolflag:

uberlube
March 12th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Right now I'm stuck using the one on my cell. But I'm thinking about dropping about $200-$300 as soon as I can on a good camera.

yabbadabbadont
March 12th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Nikon Coolpix 4300 for normal use.

For nostalgia, I still have a Kodak Instamatic X-15. However, it is a little difficult to find 126 Instamatic film and Magicube flashcubes for it these days... :D

Whiffle
March 12th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Nikon Coolpix 4500.... 6 years old, 9000 pictures, and still takes great pictures. Taking it backpacking next week. Wee!

vishzilla
March 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
1. Sony Ericsson W700i - 2MP

2. Sony CyberShot T100

zeller
March 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Just purchased a Nikon D40. Before that I had one of the very first point and shoot models made when this whole consumer digital camera thing kicked off. It's old, huge and beat up but it did the job for long enough.

Now I'm in love with my D40. It's a touch bigger but still one of the smallest DSLRs out there. I'm pumped!

regomodo
March 18th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Walzflex TLR - 53years old and still going strong
Fed 1G rangefinder - another working +50yr old camera
Bronica ETRS 645 - one fine camera and default lens
Yashica Electro - dead. I plan some Arduino action for that one
Nikon F65 slr - never let me down whilst in sub-zero climates and whilst rock climbing, although metering can be a bit off at times
Nikon D70 - i don't think i'll ever buy another DSLR. This is fine for convenience but the high iso performance is ****

May add the Sigma DP1 to my collection

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 with Leica lenses (I primarily shoot all photos in 16:9 Aspect).

Not only that, the Panasonic Lumix LX2 digital compact camera is further distinguished from other cameras by its full manual controllability with a joystick allowing users to easily enjoy creative shooting. The Panasonic DMC LX2 compact camera also boasts Venus Engine III high performance image processing LSI to dramatically reduce the noise that challenged the predecessor, realizing image recording at max. ISO 1600 high sensitivity setting at full resolution....

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=63007&d=1205863316

...The Panasonic DMC-LX2 features a 10.2 Megapixel 16:9 aspect CCD and f/2.8 4x optical zoom 28mm wide angle (equivalent to 28 mm to 112 mm on a 35 mm film camera) Leica DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens. Incorporating three aspherical lenses provides high optical performance while preserving the compactness of the unit....

...Taking advantage of its superior lens technology, Panasonic invented the MEGA O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer) to fight against the major cause of blurred images. It compensates for handshake and is now featured on the entire LUMIX range, and having been highly evaluated and appreciated by the users across the world. Every slight hand-shake movement is detected accurately with the sampling frequency at 4,000 times per second and will be compensated to render clear, sharp images. In addition, movement of the subject, the other major cause of blurred images, is suppressed by the advanced image processing LSI Venus Engine III with the Intelligent ISO Control (hereafter I.I.C.) and max. ISO1600 high sensitivity recording capabilities. The world’s first incorporation of this I.I.C. allows the automatic adjustment of the suitable ISO setting and shutter speed that best suits the situation by analyzing the speed of subject movement. If the subject is moving, the ISO setting would automatically rise to allow high shutter speed. On the other hand, if the subject is still and no movement is detected, you can take beautiful natural images with a low ISO setting. Accordingly the new LUMIX automatically takes the best countermeasures against any causes of blurred images with MEGA O.I.S. compensating for hand-shake and the I.I.C. compensating for movement of the subject. Image stabilizing system is further evolving with Lumix....http://www.photokina-show.com/0089/panasonic/digitalcameras/digitalcamera/

Here's a good review on this camera:
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=2913&review=panasonic+lumix+dmc+lx2

LuisAugusto
March 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM
I have a Sony Alpha 200 with:

-Kit lenses (Carl Zeiss 18-70mm)
-Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro

And my always loved Minolta X-300s with:

-Minolta 28-70mm (Macro 1:4)
-Minolta Macro 1:1
-Vivitar 100-300mm (This is one a big piece of crap, it's an F8, but it costs me only 30 bucks)

As you can see my loyalty to Minolta goes beyond it's name haha XD.

cardinals_fan
March 22nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
I have an Olympus Stylus 770SW (7.1 MP). It takes great underwater pictures without a housing and is small, but has a habit of breaking. Two deaths in two months leaves me using my old Canon Powershot S230 (ELPH) with 3.2MP. That thing has endured 5 years of abuse and is fine.

Pethegreat
March 22nd, 2008, 01:51 AM
I have a kodak z610. I bough it for a trip. I took around 1300 pictures with it so far. It was a great bargin for $170 back in september. I had a cannon powershot A75. I sold it to my parents when I got my z610. It is a nice small camera though.

svtfmook
March 22nd, 2008, 02:56 AM
minolta dimage z1 that i kind of gave to my son.

sony cyber-shot dsc-v1
it's old, but i have a lot of add-ons for it (tele-photo lens, external flash, wide angle lens). it still works decently, so i haven't had the urge to replace it. although, the lcd screen has been acting up lately.

dada1958
March 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Fuji FinePix S 6500fd.

ba5e
April 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Point and shoot: IXUS 75. . .no IS which is not good!
SLR - K-Minolta (film, not digital)

LacosteGirl23
May 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I have a Canon Powershot S5 IS. And a Sony Cybershot DSC-T10.

SuperSon!c
May 11th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Canon SD870 IS Black

jamieh
May 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Canon SD750
For the price, it's AWESOME!

tgrisier
May 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Nikon D40x and love it to death. Can't wait to get the D80 next year.

derby007
August 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Sony DSC_P43 Very good compact.
Olympus E510 D_SLR, 4 lenses (2 manual).

Note: I've just bought the E510 and amazed at what can be done with it. It'll take a while to learn all the features, but it'll be worth the time & effort :)

chili555
August 13th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Nikon D70 for serious work; Canon SD1000 for fun. The point-n-shooter is light and small, so I can carry it almost all the time.

I also have a few film cameras that are gradually making their way to Ebay. Sold a Fuji GW690 medium format just yesterday. However, I will never sell my beloved Nikon F2.

joshdudeha
August 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Lolololol

I use my sony ericsson W200i.
I don't know how I put up with it >_<
But I have no camera at the moment, so I'm going to have to lump its 0.3 megapixel.

Ugh.

Papi-KB7VGW
August 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Well this old dinosaur still uses his Zone Vl 4x5 wood field camera. I also have a Minolta SRT 101 35mm from the mid 60's. I am into preserving the old ways. B&W film that you develop and print yourself. As long as I can see to focus I will continue to use film. Swore I would never own a @#!$#@@ digital camera but then I went out and bought a Canon A610 for my better half to take snapshot of our grandaughter.
Papi

todak
August 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Digital: Toshiba PDR-M25. Superb macro camera. I can put camera lens against subject and it will focus! Extremely sharp pictures. I use this camera exclusively in macro mode.

Olympus FE-170. Bought it because of Olympus name. HA! Horrible sensor. Pictures are never sharp in the corners of the frame at low ISO settings. Totally automated, no way to adjust anything. The algorithm used to convert images to jpeg in the camera is wretched. With lens extended to maximum OPTICAL telephoto, distant details are smoothed together as if a watercolor. Good camera for those who care more for subject content than image quality. Needless to say, I do not use this camera at all.

Film: Two Nikkormat FTn, one black, one chrome. 50mm 1:1.4 Auto Nikkor S lens, 55mm 1:2.8 Micro-Nikkor. 35mm 1:2.8 Vivitar lens (VERY sharp), 500mm 1:8 Qantary mirror telephoto (very good lens quality for the price!). Miranda Sensorex w/50mm 1:1.4 lens. Yasica D TLR. The body is in terrible condition, but the thing still takes great pictures!

YoungCthulhu
August 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Olympus e330:KS; Olympus SP550 :KS; Nikkormat F:KS; Minolta Dynax i550:mad:;Yashica 635 2.25" twin lens reflex:); Lordomat (35mm rangefinder German circa 1958 ) :KS

Shared the attitude of Papi-KB above and was slow to make the change to digital after buying a shocking Kodak point and shoot digital in 2005. A cheap no-control granny Vista of a camera. What is the make of your 4"x5"? Now that's a serious format!

The Yashica twin lens reflex developed mold on in the lens soon after I started using it. It had stayed in a friend's wardrobe for 30 years and was in mint condition but the sudden change of use must have sent the mold spores off :( Interested to see Todak above has a Yashica TLR. Mine worked well too till the mold came.

Lordomat has been in our family since the mid '60s and Dad gave it to me. I took most of my photos with it while I was hiking in the New Zealand Southern Alps, during the '70s and it was indestructable.

Like Todak, I once had a Miranda Sensorex with a 50mm f1.4, but I sold mine as it was too heavy to take hiking. Mine had the removable top prism and was a strange camera, but good to use.

lisati
August 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
3 Sony camcorders of assorted formats, one of which is a HDD model, one Panasonic MiniDV; and an older Kodak Easyshare model stills camera.

Edit: I also have a 20-something-year-old Ricoh film camera that I haven't used for some time.

eXcentra
August 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM
For digital, I have my Canon 350D which I've had for maybe 4 years now and a Canon Powershot S500 which I've loaned to my brother.
For film, I have my dad's Nikon FM2n which is maybe 20-30 years old and still working fine. There's also the Zenit 11, but I've yet to actually shoot rolls with it.

PatrickMoore
December 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM
i want a nikon dslr but i am waiting for higher resolution. if i could have any i would get a haselblad with a digital back

Groucho Marxist
December 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Well, I just bought a new digital camera today. It's the Fuji Finepix z10fd. (http://i.pricerunner.com/prod/5_19_6_10_983187l/Fujifilm_FinePix_Z10fd_Green.jpeg) Looks like a really nice camera...not sure about the green (I'm a guy), but I'll find out on wendsday when it comes. (gahh, or maybe i should cancel the order and get something more manly like black...what do you think?)

Anyway, what kind of camera do y'all have? A simple point and shoot, or a nice DSLR? What do you mainly take pictures of?

Also, an aside, whats a good photo organizer for linux? I've been using Fspot since Picasa on Ubuntu is horrible.

I'm saving up for a professional camera for one of my photography classes next year (It's going to run about $3,000 or so :( ). That, and I would rather wait and save up for a top of the line professional camera for use during college and afterwards rather than buying a "happy snaps" camera with high digital zoom and low optical zoom.

TenPlus1
December 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Had a Fuji Finepix F30 which worked great in Ubuntu, but my new Finepix Z35 seems to stall any camera program I use... Oh well, thankfully I have a USB adaptor for SD cards to get my pics until it's sorted...

TheNessus
December 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Canon AE-1.

I'm oldschool.

Kai69
December 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I use a casio exilim ex-z75 same colour