PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your virtual desktops for?

olskar
December 16th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Hi!
Im just curious what you use your virtual desktops for? Maybe using virtual desktops is something you have to get used to? The only time I use mine is when I edit images in gimp..and when I spin the cube to make my computer look cool of course..:)

bran
December 16th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I use 5 desktops. one is my calendar, full screen and always open. 2 is email/Usenet. 3 is browsers. 4 is open office, basket notes and on occasion gedit. 5 is whatever oddball thing I need to play with including gimp, kaffiene, JAlblum, update manager etc

keeps things tidy and efficient.

smartboyathome
December 16th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I use 4, 1 is for my school stuff, 2 is for my play stuff, 3 is for GIMP/Blender, and 4 is for miscellaneous applications.

original_jamingrit
December 16th, 2007, 04:24 AM
My setup is usually four, first is a super user terminal and a web browser, second is pidgin and xchat, third is whatever I happen to be working on, text editors and terminals, and fourth is e-mail and torrent stuff. Whenever I use gimp, or a word processing program, that usually occupies either screen 1 or 3, and games/fullscreen stuff normally occupy screen 1. There's no paricular strategy to it, I just kind of arbitrarily choose a workspace to work on something, and then tend to choose the same workspace for that particular program.

Of course, you really don't have to use them, I find it easier to focus on one thing at a time; it's less distracting when all of the immediately important stuff are on one workspace and let everything else run in the background.

~LoKe
December 16th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Main
Firefox
Screen (rTorrent, CenterICQ, NCMPC, Bash)
IRSSI

Media
GIMP (I know, not really media)

Devel
Bluefish
gEdit

IM
Don't use it now that I have screen.

Other
TeamSpeak
Random

Espreon
December 16th, 2007, 06:02 AM
1 is for FF
2 is for TB
3 is for VisualBoyAdvance and Battle for Wesnoth and other games
4 is for uh, stuff...

herbster
December 16th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I use 7:
web/im
remote (remote desktop to xp box across the hall and xferring to/from)
config
xxx
video
docs
guitar

Crashmaxx
December 16th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I like have 4, though I only regularly use 2. My first one is Swiftfox and I use that most of the time I'm actually on the computer. My second one is always MythTV Frontend, its annoying to have to close it, and I also play music from it. My third is mostly for a terminal, or if I want to see the desktop, but if I open something to work on it, it goes there. And if the first three are full, I use the fourth for any other apps I need to open, or to see stuff on the desktop. Gimp always gets a whole workspace when I use it.

el_ricardo
December 16th, 2007, 06:40 AM
i have 4:

browsers
amarok mini player

main amarok window full screen & any other media programs

pidigin
azureus

terminal windows
windows desktop (virtualbox)
any other windows that might be lying around

Mr.Auer
December 16th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Im so used to virtual desktops that I go nuts if I have to use Windows somewhere..The first thing that happens is me trying to switch desktops with mousewheel or keyboard..Soon after Ill be noticing that damn, focus doesnt follow mouse and damn, middle button does not paste anything :)

Normally I use 4 desktops, have used up to 6 sometimes if Im doing a lot..

1. desktop is usually IRC and Pidgin, perhaps Skype.
2. desktop is for Ktorrent, Nicotine, FTP, ssh..
3. desktop music player and file browser
4. Browser or several browsers

If im working, one desktop would be reserved for each program im using (like Gimp, Abiword etc), and the not-so-necessary prgs would reside more crowdedly on some other one.

Lostincyberspace
December 16th, 2007, 07:30 AM
#1 firefox
#2 Video
#3 Deluge
#4 other