PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Advice...

Tundro Walker
December 16th, 2007, 03:34 AM
1) If you want to go to a movie, and the local theatre is located in the local shopping mall...skip that theatre. You'll just drive in circles for 15 mins looking for a spot, then wait another 15 mins trying to leave the mall after you give up on finding a spot.

2) If you drive a huge SUV...you're obligated to drive the speed limit. Folks get mad when they're lagging behind you, because you're going 20mph, thinking it's just traffic. Then, when they ticked off and rush around you, they find out YOU'RE the one loafing along at 20mph so you can zone out and talk on your cell phone, and there's no traffic in front of you. Either get off the road, or speed up... And stop looking so surprised when someone makes hand gestures or toots their horn at you when they speed on by.

3) Skip the mall and shop online. It's the 21st century now. It's ok. You don't have to cower in shame because you didn't have to slog 15 miles to the local mile, spend hours fighting through crowds, and finally drag your exhausted butt home. Your friends and family won't disown you if they find out you did your Christmas shopping online. And, even if they did, it's worth it just so you can avoid all the holiday rush. Go ahead! You've earned it!

forrestcupp
December 16th, 2007, 10:02 PM
1) Tell all of your family members that since you are all spending the same amount on each other, and since everyone is probably going to be getting gift cards anyway, why not just not bother getting each other gifts? That way you don't have to go to the mall or shop online.

2) If you don't like those pesky Salvation Army Santas, just use your debit card for all of your shopping. I never carry cash, therefore I never feel guilty about not giving them money.

3) Before you send your kid to sit on Santa's lap, give your kid a breath mint for Santa. It will make the smell of Jack Daniels a little more bearable.

p.s. I'm not that bad. I actually had money on me one time and gave it to a Salvation Army person.

gn2
December 16th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Holiday advice: go on holiday, quit the country, go somewhere warm and just relax.

LaRoza
December 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM
1) If you want to go to a movie, and the local theatre is located in the local shopping mall...skip that theatre. You'll just drive in circles for 15 mins looking for a spot, then wait another 15 mins trying to leave the mall after you give up on finding a spot.

3) Skip the mall and shop online. It's the 21st century now. It's ok. You don't have to cower in shame because you didn't have to slog 15 miles to the local mile, spend hours fighting through crowds, and finally drag your exhausted butt home. Your friends and family won't disown you if they find out you did your Christmas shopping online. And, even if they did, it's worth it just so you can avoid all the holiday rush. Go ahead! You've earned it!
I am a walker, so parking spaces are easy for me, but I have seen the buzzards circling before.

Online rules! A lot better than the crowds, roads, and cranky people. Also if you do shop in a store, go at a weird time, like the middle of the week, Wednesday's are usually good.

MetalMusicAddict
December 16th, 2007, 11:52 PM
1) Stay off the forums.

Tundro Walker
December 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I am a walker, so parking spaces are easy for me, but I have seen the buzzards circling before.

No, see, you misunderstood me. I don't mind walking either. And I usually park a ways away just to do so. But when I tried going to the AMC 24 at the local high-priced mall where I live...there were no parking spaces at all. I got stuck driving around the mall for 15 minutes looking a spot...any spot...and not finding a thing. So, I got frustrated and decided to leave, and that's when I got stuck in a 15 minute wait just to leave the mall.

I swear, it was like a Roach Motel ... it was so easy to get in (since incoming traffic didn't have to stop), but you had to kill yourself to try to get out.

More advice...

If you're single, work during the holidays. Most folks take that time off, which lets you hang out in the office, screwing around or getting real work done. Save up your week of vacation to take during early spring or summer, when the weather's nice and you can hit the beach.

xyz
December 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Yesterday I briefly met someone who walked from Switzerland to Jerusalem.

Took him about 5 months!! How about that?

sailor2001
December 17th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Yesterday I briefly met someone who walked from Switzerland to Jerusalem.

Took him about 5 months!! How about that?

I've been trying to find someone who walked from USA to Switzerland.

xyz
December 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I've been trying to find someone who walked from USA to Switzerland.
Would that really be possible...I mean without a ship or something at some point?

mysticrider92
December 17th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Would that really be possible...I mean without a ship or something at some point?

If you are a really good swimmer...

I like some of your tips, Tundro Walker. It is annoying when people are driving and talking on a cell phone, paying no attention to the road and people around them. And I like the online shopping, mostly because I can't stand a going in lot of stores and not finding anything.

LaRoza
December 17th, 2007, 02:52 PM
No, see, you misunderstood me. I don't mind walking either. And I usually park a ways away just to do so. But when I tried going to the AMC 24 at the local high-priced mall where I live...there were no parking spaces at all. I got stuck driving around the mall for 15 minutes looking a spot...any spot...and not finding a thing. So, I got frustrated and decided to leave, and that's when I got stuck in a 15 minute wait just to leave the mall.

You misunderstood me, I don't drive at all. I walk.

forrestcupp
December 17th, 2007, 03:21 PM
You misunderstood me, I don't drive at all. I walk.
Well, considering that the nearest mall to me is about 40 miles, I think I'll drive. Especially in the snow and ice.