PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your virtual terminals for?

newmo
December 16th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I'm still a bit unsure about the exact terminology here.

By Virtual Terminals I mean the consoles you get by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 and so on.

Sometimes I switch to one to do a bit of writing - it gets me away from the temptations of youtube and email notifications and the like.

Does anyway have any favorite uses for it/them?

smartboyathome
December 16th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I switch to one sometimes for when I need to open up an extra X session. I also use them when I need to log in as root (and do the former).

LaRoza
December 16th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I use them for programming, or for editing when I want a big screen.

AndyCooll
December 16th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Yeah, occasionally for a bit of command line work, and also for an extra X session.

:cool:

some_random_noob
December 16th, 2007, 02:41 AM
I'll only ever use them if some stupid app crashes the GUI or gets out of control. That way I can use ps -e | more and then kill to stop it.

FuturePilot
December 16th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Emergencies

newmo
December 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I'll only ever use them if some stupid app crashes the GUI or gets out of control. That way I can use ps -e | more and then kill to stop it.

I'm with you and FuturePilot on this - emergencies was the first reason I was glad it was there. The first time I used it in earnest was to run a shutdown.

(Its so frustrating when the box won't even respond to Ctrl+Alt+F1...grrr...hasn't happened for ages though).

Edit --How weird... after posting this my box ground to a halt and guess what? - I went to a VT, ran top, saw it was firefox demanding the CPU earth and I killed it. Good old terminal.

popch
December 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I do appreciate their being available. However, I have not used one in a long time and I don't intend to.

akiratheoni
December 16th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I only recently got mine working again because of that Gutsy bug... I haven't used it recently, but I don't mind when I have to.

klange
December 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I run my Java CLI Falling Snow animation in them when I'm bored, as well as some simple Lynx surfing.

blithen
December 16th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Emergencies
Same.