View Full Version : whats with the connectors on the back of new graphics cards?

December 16th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Hello again. I understand what the monitor connector is, but what's with the other connector that comes with a wire for HDTV output. I have an XFX GeForce 8800 GTS and I was wondering if I could use this connector to watch TV on my computer screen (it would be an improvement over my 6" TV screen in my room, my monitor is 19"). At the moment I believe all it does is provide output to an HDTV.

[EDIT] I'm not talking about DVI or VGA

December 16th, 2007, 02:12 AM
This might be the one you are referring to HDMI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI) dvihdmi2.html (http://www.svideo.com/dvihdmi2.html)

These are the two standard know to come on most video cards.
DVI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI)

VGA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA)

Theres also this kind
DVI-to-Component (http://sewelldirect.com/DVI-to-Component-Adapter-Cable-15ft.asp)

December 16th, 2007, 02:17 AM
yeah I wasn't talking about DVI or VGA hehe

December 16th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Could it be an S-Video connection?

December 16th, 2007, 02:24 AM
yeah I wasn't talking about DVI or VGA hehe

Then you are talking about hdmi or the use of a 7-PIN HDTV Output Cable, If you plane to use your gpu then you will either be using
http://www.svideo.com/x800prohdtv.html Or a dvi to hdmi cable.

December 16th, 2007, 06:33 AM
do you mean on the back as in ON the card, not poking out the back of your case?

you might be refurring to the SLI ports, or if its an ATI the crossfire ports (this is for linking an extra card to increase the power)

December 16th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I think he's referring too the DVI to Component dongle. In the Audio-Visual industry we call it a "break-out" or "shredder" cable because it breaks the block connector into individual connectors for eash signal path.

Using this breakout cable as an INPUT cable to your monitor likely will not work. Montors look for a very specific signal, and that is not a Component input, unfortunately. You won't damage anything by trying though, so go ahead and give it a shot anyway!

December 16th, 2007, 09:51 PM
It's just an output to send your computer's signal to your HD capable TV. You couldn't be lucky enough for it to be a TV input for you to watch TV on your computer. You need to buy a separate TV tuner card for that. The old ATI All-in-Wonder cards had tv tuners on them, but they never really worked in Linux and they aren't supported in Vista. I think they dropped that line.