PDA

View Full Version : the nostalgia thread!

isecore
December 16th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Well, I was feeling a bit nostalgic when reading the "first distro" thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=635817), and wondered if anyone else felt like sharing a bit of nostalgia regarding Linux?

I first got in contact with Linux way back in 1994. Slackware. We installed it on some machine and wondered in amazement what this was. We'd head about UNIX and UNIX-style systems, and this was so much cooler than anything we usually ran.

Of course, we were complete dingbats being teenagers, and having the attention spans of gnats didn't exactly help. So we abandoned it after a while in order to do other geeky things. But it had whet our appetite for more...

The first serious attempt at running Linux for me was RedHat 3.0.3. That was also the first introduction to a package management system. Weird experience, but I was so proud when I managed to get my soundcard working! Of course, in the process I had to learn how to compile a kernel, and I've done that so many times the process still sits in my backbone.

And now, thirteen years later I run Ubuntu. Linux has come a long way, hasn't it?

logos34
December 16th, 2007, 01:35 AM
nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Majorix
December 16th, 2007, 01:42 AM
nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

What does that mean?

I first used Slackware 10.2 on my home computer. It was too tough for a beginner, and I gave up after being unable to even install a package.

Then I installed Fedora Core 3 or 4 (can't remember) and quickly left it too don't know why.

1 year ago, I installed Pardus, a hometown Linux distro. But I felt fishiness in it and left it quite quickly too.

Now I am on Ubuntu. I hadn't used any distro this long. I just love it :)

logos34
December 16th, 2007, 01:46 AM
What does that mean?

it's a joke

isecore
December 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM
What does that mean?

I first used Slackware 10.2 on my home computer. It was too tough for a beginner, and I gave up after being unable to even install a package.
Slackware is not the best newbie-dist. It's general aim is to be very UNIX-ish and this was even clearer back in the mid-90s when I first tried it. Back then it was virtually gibberish to me.