PDA

View Full Version : I want to start a GYachI UI redesign project...

bogdan_5844
December 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM
What`s the problem: well,you have to admit it,for the Yahoo protocol,GYachI is great,filesharing works,chatting works,audibles and IMVironnments do,even webcam and voice chatting(tested myself all of them)
But,the interface is like crap...

I'm sick of it,and I want to try and redesign it with your help (we also need to ask the developers,I think...)
I know some HTML,I can do the graphics,and also I know a little CSS (if any of these help).I don't really know anything more except these...

I think these are the things we need to do:

Making the interface simpler,more like Kopete or Pidgin-like
Allowing avatars and nicknames being shown in the buddy list
Re-doing the graphics artwork
Remove/edit some menu options

I am using GYachI right now,and I do miss some features (mainly nicknames and avatars in buddy list)

I am looking forward to a good collaboration,and I do hope that we can make this messenger (the best till now for the Yahoo! protocol I think) more user-friendly ;-)

P.S.:Linux is waay better than M$ Windows,and many of my friends want to use Linux,but they are scared by GYachI,and they can't stand a messenger missing file transfer and webcam functions(at least here in Romania,Yahoo Messenger is very important)

loell
December 16th, 2007, 12:17 AM
hi, I have been a gyachi proponent for more than a year now, or more like almost two years, I have been packaging gyachi since ubuntu dapper,

here is my take on what you would like to do, you can always try but the task is overwhelming.

I tried UI redesign since last year, but its a no go :( , or i guess that would depend on individual knowledge in gtk. I think that the way to go is not UI redesign but rather UI usability enhancement.

bogdan_5844
December 16th, 2007, 12:25 AM
thanks for the reply,loell...
i know this is a rather hard task to accomplish,but i am optimistic and i do believe that if we work togheter we may come up with something that is at least good,if not perfect :)

loell
December 16th, 2007, 01:02 AM
there were others who also tread the same path , like the Philippines , Indonesia seems to be a yahoo country too , so an Indonesian made a gyachi modification too. ;)

gyachoo messenger (http://sindos.wordpress.com/2007/03/02/gyachoo-messenger/)

coincidentally when you made this thread , I have submitted a patch to gyachi several hours ago, but its not ui redesign, its more of an icon facelift

Here is a screenshot (http://img.flashtux.org/img132432f38ebbxec9525e6.png)

bogdan_5844
December 16th, 2007, 10:14 AM
finally got my hands on GYachoO...i have next to none complains,it's great,but it's missing three features: hiding offline contacts,avatars and nicknames in buddy list and doesn't allow modifying preferences,wich will surely drive new users nuts...

maybe we can talk to the programmer,in order to make a joint effort :) what do you say?

loell
December 16th, 2007, 11:08 AM
try to contact him/her , my guess is, he will have to start from scratch again if he will have to integrate those features you mentioned. not to mention that those copy/pasted artworks are not actually allowed.

if you are really serious in redesigning the UI, then I think that you should learn C / GTK .

bogdan_5844
December 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I do want to learn GTK,and I do have a C book(altough is a little old-Windows 95 era- i think it's a little bit useful)but most probably I will do serious work at summer :( anyway,I'm going to try it at least :)

mr_gyachi
December 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM
bogdan, if you really and truely want to affect changes to GyachI, they, honestly, you're posting in the wrong place.

The place to make such a post is over at sourceforge. That's where I, the developer, live. You post was brought to my attention, so I'm doing you the politeness of replying to you here, but i'm not likely to come back and read your reply.

GyachI is an active project, but only the feedback in the GyachI forums at sourceforge are seen / looked at / acted upon.

best rgds,

My Gyachi

jrusso2
December 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM
there were others who also tread the same path , like the Philippines , Indonesia seems to be a yahoo country too , so an Indonesian made a gyachi modification too. ;)

gyachoo messenger (http://sindos.wordpress.com/2007/03/02/gyachoo-messenger/)

coincidentally when you made this thread , I have submitted a patch to gyachi several hours ago, but its not ui redesign, its more of an icon facelift

Here is a screenshot (http://img.flashtux.org/img132432f38ebbxec9525e6.png)

Have they fixed Gyachoo yet? Last time I used it would not get into chat?

loell
December 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I don't know yet , their talks are always in Indonesian , so i actually have to use babelfish just to get some clue of what they are talking about.

though like i said, he is more likely to start from scratch , that is to base his mod on the newer version of gyachi to achieve ie(captcha, other fixes) and then remapped the copied yahoo artwork onto the new one.

bogdan_5844
December 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM
i think that,untill i really learn some GTK or C++ or anything needed for doing this job,i'll post on the gyachi SourceForge forums :) thanks for help guys,i'll come back with news :popcorn:

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 01:55 AM
I do want to learn GTK,and I do have a C book(altough is a little old-Windows 95 era- i think it's a little bit useful)but most probably I will do serious work at summer :( anyway,I'm going to try it at least :)

C doesn't change very much.

I have been learning both C and GTK+ for a wee while now.

picpak
December 21st, 2007, 02:33 AM
I can't think of a project that needs this more than anything. Somehow my mom manages to get through it, but I can't figure it out at all. It gives me a headache.

It's still not as bad as xsane, though.

jrusso2
December 21st, 2007, 03:49 AM
I can't think of a project that needs this more than anything. Somehow my mom manages to get through it, but I can't figure it out at all. It gives me a headache.

It's still not as bad as xsane, though.

Instead of an interface upgrade I would be happy for a version that worked and didn't crash every time I tried to type something into chat.

loell
December 21st, 2007, 04:14 AM
to those who would like to have an input in UI enhancements and accessibility with gyachi , i hope you could join in gyachi forum, so the dev(s) will know what needs to be changed.

its also worth noting that just before this talk started the theme-ing is currently worked on.