PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Selection

Atreus12
December 15th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I am going to be building a new computer, but I'm really not that up to date on components. I already have a case, and most of the accessories. The only things I need are a motherboard, processor, and ram.

I would like to use open source bios on the motherboard. I remember reading about a board designed for the AMD processor that came with open source bios. How many open source motherboards are available? Is it better to buy one with it, or to buy a supported model and flash it?

Any advice on motherboard selection in general? AMD processor vs Intel?

Andrew

~LoKe
December 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Intel is destroying AMD in the processor market right now.

What's your budget?

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM
AsRock do a nice line in bundled dual-core Intel CPU's and motherboards that are very good value if you can get them where you live.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=2Core1333DVI-2.66G
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=2Core1066-2.13G

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 is very good RAM with a lifetime warranty at cheap prices.
(well it's cheap in the UK just now)

Now is very definitely not a good time to buy anything AMD...

Atreus12
December 15th, 2007, 11:55 PM

What's your budget?

I would say < $300 for mobo+processor (exceptions could be made depending on what it is). Open source bios is a must though.

Edit: I'm not looking for the fastest of the fast, just something to use on a regular computer. No over-clocking or any of that stuff.

rfruth
December 16th, 2007, 12:03 AM

What's your budget?

Go with AMD unless money is no object :KS

Rupertronco
December 16th, 2007, 12:06 AM
You're really going to limit yourself as far as what you get for your money with a requirement of open source bios. There's very little information out there on it, but there is a gigabyte board, the M57SLI-S4 that supports open source bios. It's an AMD board and can be found on newegg here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128014&Tpk=M57SLI-S4

It's an AM2 socket board, so you can put some pretty killer chips on it. I would go with the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103191

That'll put the total around $270

Rupertronco
December 16th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Go with AMD unless money is no object :KS

I don't find that statement to be fair or true at all.

I only rate processors on performance, and have about 50/50 Intel/AMD rigs right now. As far as performance for your dollar, Intel is currently the best selection. Intel's current chips are superior to AMD's.

rfruth
December 16th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I only have one of each (AMD, Intel) how are Intel's current chips (CPU?) superior to AMD's. - bang for the buck, power consumption ?

Atreus12
December 16th, 2007, 02:11 AM
You're really going to limit yourself as far as what you get for your money with a requirement of open source bios.

Thats sometimes how it goes, but I'm voting with my money.

gn2
December 16th, 2007, 02:53 AM
how are Intel's current chips (CPU?) superior to AMD's. - bang for the buck, power consumption ?

Yes and yes.

And more importantly all current AMD CPU's are about to become redundant as they change socket again very soon, whereas Intel's 775 socket is due to be around for a while yet and offers a good upgrade path.

Atreus12
December 16th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Having never used AMD before, do they require anything special with Linux?

I remember something like a K7 kernel for AMD, can they use the same kernal as the intel chips / mobos?

rfruth
December 18th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Nothing needed to take full advantage of AMD - on the (old) different subject my last AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz (dual core) was $69.95 US - the closest Intel chip was 5 or 10 more dollars, used a few less watts (might matter if U had a room full of computers) but for the average user its 6 of one half dozen of the other (now if the Intel inside slogan gives U a warm fuzzy) NOT a thing wrong with Intel - as for the AM2 socket (or whatever) pin out matters, make sure your system board has the correct socket for your CPU (be it Intel or AMD)

CouchMaster
December 18th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Don't forget, if you don't get on board video then it's extra $$$$$ for the graphics card.
Figure that into your budget........