PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Computer Science.

darkoptix
September 10th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Hey, been a long time user of Ubuntu before I wanted to game seriously again in the summer.
Now that summer is over, I am going to school at collage for my first year toward a bachelor of computer science. Now, I just got lab passes for the UNIX lab in the department. I was all excited when he was talking about linux/unix that we are going to use to program on. I thought that it has been great to have a good step in the linux usability. I got to check out these computers today, and wow, how old must the software on these machines be. Not that it matters because we are only doing coding, but they could be much better off. They have some HP Unix system on them that seems like the days when I was experimenting with Red Hat 7.2 or less. I only hope our compiler (g++) is up to date.

This also wanted me to install breezy and check out the progress and the new release of gnome. I just need a extra harddrive.

Kvark
September 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Meh, now everyone who takes that class will look at those computers and think that's how unmodern *nix systems are today.

macgyver2
September 10th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Meh, now everyone who takes that class will look at those computers and think that's how unmodern *nix systems are today.
I'm at least happy to see that CompSci at that school even bothers with Unix.

Where I went to school the CompSci department focused on Java as a language and Windows as a platform. It was actually kinda sad when I had to take a class offered by the CompSci department called "Software Development With Unix". Note that this was a third-year class. There were students from three different degree programs in the class: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Astronomy & Astrophysics (myself along with eight others). Total waste of time. Us astronomy students were the only ones who had ever been exposed to anything *nix before. I actually transferred to that school the year before...my Linux experience was from me using it for a few years before I got there. There was also a CompSci major I knew who used Linux outside of a school setting. The rest of the computer majors apparently had never dealt with anything *nix outside of a brief mention of it from a historical timeline persective. The whole class was just basics. The astronomy students had no trouble at all, having already worked with astronomy software on our department's Solaris machines for a year+. The teacher was also quite bad. One day he spent about 45 minutes on the banner command! Also on one of the exams he marked several of us wrong...it was a historical question...so a friend an I went to his office after that class and showed him in the book how we were correct...the guy didn't change it. And then there was the few weeks spent on C. Apart from the other student I already mentioned none of the computer people had ever used C. The astronomers, however, all had already taken a full year of introductory C during their first year and then had been subjected to some pretty hefty programming during our second-year observational astronomy classes. Anyway...that was one of my worst class experiences ever, which is a shame because I thought it was going to be one of the best going in, having seen the title. Still makes me fume a bit when I think about that class...