PDA

View Full Version : My first vlog and I'm looking for a web cam

siciliancasanova
December 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Ok so I now have my video blog #1 up, you can watch it at http://www.youtube.com/siciliancasanova it's my first time so be nice, but let me know what you think and if you use YouTube, subscribe to my posts. If you don't want to just hear drivel about life, I do try to make about every other post be about technology.

I ended up purchasing a Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX, and it works out of the box with Gutsy and Hardy.

I am using wxCam to record and avidemux to edit.

siciliancasanova
December 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Just posting here to bump this up. I've just edited the original post.

blueturtl
December 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM
If I were you I'd be going with a FireWire webcam instead of a USB one. That's because the USB ones rely on manufacturer dependent protocols to transfer video, none of which are standard. It really is a hit and miss to buy a USB webcam unless it clearly states support for a given operating system right on the box.

FireWire webcams have adequate bandwidth, low CPU utilization and a standard transfer protocol so they can be used in practically any OS without installation of drivers! [source] (http://www.litech.org/spook/whichcam.html)

Now you may be ticked off by prices, but it's all about which you value more: your own trouble and time spent vs. money.

edit: You've edited your earlier post and removed the question I've answered.

JillSwift
December 16th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hey - I was perusing your vids and I have to ask: What's that music you're playing in the "Linux Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon w/ Compiz-Fusion" video?

Love your desktop (but everyone knows "Fire" really needs to be green =^_^= ).

siciliancasanova
December 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Hey - I was perusing your vids and I have to ask: What's that music you're playing in the "Linux Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon w/ Compiz-Fusion" video?

Love your desktop (but everyone knows "Fire" really needs to be green =^_^= ).

Oh, that's the "propellerheads" depending on your age you might be aware of what that term means, if not just google it. They have the song "spybreak" in the Matrix. The song I was playing by them was called "winning style" but their whole album is good. "decksandrumsandrockandroll" is the album title, enjoy! and thanks for checking out my vids, I'm quite new to this and still learning to not say "um" so much.

JillSwift
December 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Oh, that's the "propellerheads" depending on your age you might be aware of what that term means, if not just google it. They have the song "spybreak" in the Matrix. The song I was playing by them was called "winning style" but their whole album is good. "decksandrumsandrockandroll" is the album title, enjoy! and thanks for checking out my vids, I'm quite new to this and still learning to not say "um" so much.Thank you! Great music, here's hoping it's stiill in print.

siciliancasanova
December 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Yeah I'm not sure if they produce anything anymore these days so good luck with that.