PDA

View Full Version : Does craigslist work for you?

siciliancasanova
December 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I never have had any ambition to wonder over to Craigslist before. Until today, I had no idea that Omaha (closest city to me) has a craigslist. So I started browsing around and was amazed at how many people use it.

Now I'm wondering if anyone here uses it, has had success, has any tips for using it? Also, I don't need to know why you use it if its for explicit reasons. Not for myself, but for the children man... the children.

erfahren
December 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM
our family uses it. My sister bought a washer from somone off it and my dad has sold a couple things (someone even tried to scam him like they warn against). I browse the free stuff sometimes, but never actually went and got something.

Bought an older laptop from someone off it. Wasn't a great deal but it had only one owner and all the documentation with it. Was much cheaper than the used computer stores around here though.

This was kind of funny... Awhile back my girlfriend's sister gave her an old HP laptop with WinME on it. We couldn't do much with it and after buying that "new" laptop we decided to give that old one away (I didn't think anyone would actually pay for it!). In the first 5 minutes I got about 30 emails! I sat there and scanned them to see who I thought was "most deserving". Should of asked for like $20 bucks!

Palmyra
December 15th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I use Craigslist all the time, and I love it. I sell a few things here and there, and I sometimes give stuff away for free.

I once had about five books listed on Craiglist for a dollar each, and I never got a response. When I gave up, I decided to put them up for free, and within less than five minutes, I got a response. You'll notice this is very common on Craigslist. Put something up for sale, and you may not get a response. Put something up for free, and you'll immediately get responses.

Some people are headaches. They'll tell you that they come to pick something up, but they never do. I had a guy tell me he was going to buy something from me for some time, but I never heard from him again.

For a tip, try not to meet someone at your house. Try to meet others at a busy shopping center, for example. That way, they never know where you live, and if they are unhappy about something they've sold you after the fact, they can't harass you at your house. This doesn't mean you should scam people!

I once sold a modem on Craigslist that I knew was working, but the buyer came back to me saying that it wasn't work. I refunded him, despite having known for a fact that it was working when it was in my possesion. Be good to others; this part is important. I am now with a non-working modem, and have no idea what to do with it.

I don't want to give away too many tips, because that would be to my disadvantage! :)

LO Matt
December 15th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Craigslist works for me. There are scammers out there to be careful of, so just deal local. The people I've dealt with from there have been cool, and I've gotten stuff really cheap. YMMV

mjr2k
December 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I use Craigslist all the time, and I love it. I sell a few things here and there, and I sometimes give stuff away for free.

I once had about five books listed on Craiglist for a dollar each, and I never got a response. When I gave up, I decided to put them up for free, and within less than five minutes, I got a response. You'll notice this is very common on Craigslist. Put something up for sale, and you may not get a response. Put something up for free, and you'll immediately get responses.

Some people are headaches. They'll tell you that they come to pick something up, but they never do. I had a guy tell me he was going to buy something from me for some time, but I never heard from him again.

For a tip, try not to meet someone at your house. Try to meet others at a busy shopping center, for example. That way, they never know where you live, and if they are unhappy about something they've sold you after the fact, they can't harass you at your house. This doesn't mean you should scam people!

I once sold a modem on Craigslist that I knew was working, but the buyer came back to me saying that it wasn't work. I refunded him, despite having known for a fact that it was working when it was in my possesion. Be good to others; this part is important. I am now with a non-working modem, and have no idea what to do with it.

I don't want to give away too many tips, because that would be to my disadvantage! :)
I've sold a few items on CL in the past few weeks (getting ready to unload some old VCR's), but I think half the reason will scam or deceive you on CL is because it's not moderated by anyone and the interface is pretty ambiguous.

It's free to get an account and if you've browsed the selection of posts and areas that you can delve into, they've got some stuff that I didn't think anyone would ever post. (I.E. you can find "adult gigs")

Every two or three days I will check the computers, electronics, and singles boards to see who's around.