PDA

View Full Version : interesting...

iambrad
December 15th, 2007, 09:59 AM
so my post saying that i give up on installing ubuntu because of the difficulty of installing was moved from the installation forum...that's tff. I guess that just solidifies it...wasn't gonna come back til i got that email. you guys have a system that is quite prohibitive to new users yet you won't accept criticism to that effect and you have ppl posting msgs that can destroy a disks contents...cute

i fully expect this to be deleted soon as an admin sees it.....just had to get it off my chest

siciliancasanova
December 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I find most often people don't receive the help they want, not because no one is willing to help, but rather because the person asking doesn't really want help.

popch
December 15th, 2007, 10:35 AM
so my post saying that i give up on installing ubuntu because of the difficulty of installing was moved from the installation forum...that's tff. I guess that just solidifies it...wasn't gonna come back til i got that email. you guys have a system that is quite prohibitive to new users yet you won't accept criticism to that effect and you have ppl posting msgs that can destroy a disks contents...cute

i fully expect this to be deleted soon as an admin sees it.....just had to get it off my chest

The installation forum is about helping people to install.

When you say that you are giving up you also say that you do no longer expect anyone to support you. That belongs in a place where support is not expected.

People posting commands which destroy the contents of your disk are disgusting. In fact, in the past few weeks many members have attached warnings to their signratures against this kind of people.

However, in face of the facts that this forum is on the internet and that anyone can join and contribute, it is quite a challenge to keep the bad guys out. What do you suggest that can or should be done?

lespaul_rentals
December 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the Intrawebs...there are bad people who post malicious commands. We do our best to keep them out, but they still exist.

This complaint thread is not helping anything. If you're not willing to make the switch and stick with it, learn it, all that, oh well.

siciliancasanova
December 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the Intrawebs...there are bad people who post malicious commands. We do our best to keep them out, but they still exist.

This complaint thread is not helping anything. If you're not willing to make the switch and stick with it, learn it, all that, oh well.

Actually, who really cares. He had issues with installing and he wants to throw dirt on it by bringing something up that's completely unrelated to his problems.

When I order my food at a restaurant, I don't make it a point to call the waitress a fatty right before she takes my food order back. And I certainly don't do it on the way out either.

Scruffynerf
December 15th, 2007, 11:18 AM
<snip>and you have ppl posting msgs that can destroy a disks contents...cute

...and there are people on MS forums posting to "FORMAT C:/". Or "deltree c:/windows" So?

lespaul_rentals
December 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Actually, who really cares. He had issues with installing and he wants to throw dirt on it by bringing something up that's completely unrelated to his problems.

When I order my food at a restaurant, I don't make it a point to call the waitress a fatty right before she takes my food order back. And I certainly don't do it on the way out either.

Exactly, I was just saying "who cares?" with that post. Seriously, iambrad, just leave.

mmb1
December 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I can understand the frustration that comes with installation issues, I had them myself, but that doesn't give you reason to bash the entire community. Just because one piece of scum thought he'd trick some new users doesn't give you the right to throw the lot of us in with him. When you post non-constructive criticism like this, you ruin the spirit of these forums.

iambrad
December 16th, 2007, 05:10 AM
actually if you saw the original post i gave kudos to the community...and yeah i tried again to get this thing going, but realistically i'm not gonna sit and reboot to windows....look for a solution....reboot to linux, and try something that doesn't work.....then go back to windows to look again. it gets tiresome.
maybe it works great on some systems, but not on my laptop. in fact i sincerely hope it does. it's ridiculously hard to do when you can't even get your monitor or wireless card working. I just wanted to install the os and explore it, not learn linux from the ground up before i ever got it working.

anyway, just wanted to clarify...the community seems great, just entirely too much hassle to be a part of it for me

LaRoza
December 16th, 2007, 05:55 AM
anyway, just wanted to clarify...the community seems great, just entirely too much hassle to be a part of it for me

That is the problem with Linux, it is free and flexible, but it takes time to learn and time to get working. And with some hardware manufacturers that try to restrict their devices, it may be near to impossible to work with.

To play with it, until you get new hardware or the vendors make it work with Linux, you can install in VirtualBox.

hanzomon4
December 16th, 2007, 06:32 AM

This happened to you? I doubt it, I think you're only bring this up because of all the warnings posted by folks following aisyu's advice. I've never had this happen to me or seen it happen to anyone else but who knows? The admins?

Now you made a thread about how you were leaving Ubuntu because of difficulty installing.. K, what did you expect a drone of Ubuntuforum members running to convince you to change your mind? This ain't some cult that freaks when someone decides to move on. I personally could careless, if it didn't work for you oh well too bad. You also posted that tripe in a support section of the forum , so yes it got moved because it was in the wrong section.

Tundro Walker
December 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM
So, let me see if I understand this...

You make a post in the Community Cafe telling everyone you're having problems getting Ubuntu to work. A mod moves your post to the install forum, where folks would be more likely to help with such a post. Nobody responded to the post (?), so you post in the Community Cafe again to tell everyone that that just solidifies why you don't like Ubuntu, and you think the mods have it in for you and will probably delete this post just to hush you in some Gestapo / KGB'ish way.

Sorry, but this sounds like trolling. If you wanted help, why didn't you post in the Absolute Beginners section, or do a search there first?

I mean, when someone breaks into your house and steals your stuff, do you first stop by the local pub (Community Cafe) to ask folks to help you find the criminals, or do you go to the local police (Absolute Beginners section)?

Look, we sympathize with folks having a bad experience, but it just seems like you've used an odd approach to request help.