PDA

View Full Version : Beware, potatoes will become "CLOSED SOURCE"

Prisma
December 14th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Beware, potatoes will become "CLOSED SOURCE" and a corporation near you could soon sue you if you grow potatoes without paying royalties to them...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071211/sc_nm/eu_gmo_potato_dc;_ylt=AitT3e67CNOLCZXzeRsOMeoPLBIF

lucidapparition
December 14th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Sounds like I'm going to be a potato pirate. Yarrrr!

perce
December 14th, 2007, 08:51 PM
From the article:

It is not intended for human consumption but rather for industrial use; for example, in the paper industry to make glossy magazine coatings, in textiles for yarn sizing and as an additive in adhesive or sprayable concrete.

They can grow all the crap they want, as long as I don't have to eat it.

Prisma
December 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM
From the article:

how long before humans or the stock that we eat end up eating those thing? I bet no long... :(

glupee
December 14th, 2007, 09:31 PM
how long before humans or the stock that we eat end up eating those thing? I bet no long... :(
or even worse, the produce eating us... Attack of the killer tomatoes any one? :lolflag:

Prisma
December 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM
or even worse, the produce eating us... Attack of the killer tomatoes any one? :lolflag:

http://www.benettontalk.com/opencms/export/sites/default/benettontalk/img/potatoes/potato_killer.gif

:lolflag:

popch
December 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM
From the article:

There are some serious 'side issues':

No one can guarantee that the modified organism will remain in the fields where it was put. Indeed, I remember reading that somewhere in Northern America the producer of modified corn tried to sue the owners of adjacent fields because the modified corn appeared on those fields, too.

Second, there appear to be cases where genetic material of modified plants appeared in wild plants and possibly even in unmodified cultivated stock.

Third, no one can control which other critters eat your GM crop, and with what result.

Forth, if the modification is supposed to make the crop resistant against some kind of pest, that will just produce more robust and - above all - resistant pests which will in turn damage not only the GM crop but the unmodified crop as well.

It has been some time since I have read those reports, While the sources were quite credible, I can not produce them any more. Sorry. Still, it's good food for thought.

Prisma
December 14th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Yes I read some reviews like that no so long ago. And recently I read that some people want to plant genetically modified sugar canes in the sahara desert for bio-diesel production. But what effect can those plants have in the ecosystem? nobody knows.