PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to Ask the Question

Mark_in_Hollywood
December 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I can't form in my mind how to ask my question. Sure, I've been using Ubuntu since Breezy Badger. Yes, I have hundreds of posts and responses (mostly my original problem with dial up modem). I'M STILL A NOOB. I'm not a tech guy, I'm in the show business.

Please imagine my surprise, once upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy I had no printer in operation. The exact same printer that has worked since Breezy without problems.

I posted my problem, including some screenprints yesterday. This morning I saw 8 views, zero responses. I think I'm SOL, so I came to the Forums Search (box) and used the keywords: gutsy printer. The returns were more than 5 pages long. Of those 131 posts/threads having both those two keywords, about 12 looked promising and I started to go through them, one at a time.

I loved one that gave instructions abouts cups complain. I thought that might be easy, but it didn't work. And the next most promising, remove the printer, reboot, some more commands, didn't work either.

What one needs here is a one-on-one forum service. It can be public, but it should mate users with people who have solved the (more or less) exact same problem. After wading through 131 posts, trying to find the ONE relevant to my situation is good, but it could be made better.

Thanks for your time.

23meg
December 14th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Launchpad Answers for Ubuntu (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu) is close.

Mark_in_Hollywood
December 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM
On a whim, I unplugged and re-plugged the usb cable.

Printer prints.

Go figure