PDA

View Full Version : Enlightenment-The most beautiful and the most flexible window manager i've ever used!

parana
December 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Well,i came here and post this thread is just for one thing:being shocked by the window manager--Enlightenment.
This is the most attractive WM for me, which lights my passion at one second.Before i know Englightenment,i tried sawfish,blackbox,window maker,fvwm,wmii,gnome,kde,xfce,fluxbox....But never astonished me like that,this is just what i want i think,flexible,beautifule,great accessibility,low system load and many other advantages.
though the compiz project is really outstanding,but the gnome is really slow and over loading,even i put up my memorry to 1.5G is not that perfect.
I really recommend you to try it,here is the website:ww.enlightenment.org,and have fun:)

n3tfury
December 14th, 2007, 06:58 PM
0 posts. hm. i wonder if WM devs spam other forums?

LaRoza
December 14th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Well,i came here and post this thread is just for one thing:being shocked by the window manager--Enlightenment.
This is the most attractive WM for me, which lights my passion at one second.Before i know Englightenment,i tried sawfish,blackbox,window maker,fvwm,wmii,gnome,kde,xfce,fluxbox....But never astonished me like that,this is just what i want i think,flexible,beautifule,great accessibility,low system load and many other advantages.
though the compiz project is really outstanding,but the gnome is really slow and over loading,even i put up my memorry to 1.5G is not that perfect.
I really recommend you to try it,here is the website:ww.enlightenment.org,and have fun:)

Post the URI correctly if you want people to follow it.

GNOME is using 1.5 GiB? That is odd.

n3tfury
December 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM
"odd" as in "no"

jviscosi
December 14th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I agree E17 looks cool and is fast and all that, but is it still getting overhauled every third revision such that you have to delete your .e directory and start over? Also it used to crash on me fairly regularly when I would play with it, and I never really liked having launchers that are icons and commands and whatnot all rolled up into one ball, and a lot of the modules seemed pretty buggy. I haven't used E17 in a while, so perhaps things have improved ...

E17 is the most flexible window manager? Um, okay. Of the ones I've used I'd have to vote for fvwm. You can practically write code in the config files.

Besides, E17 hasn't got a dock. ;-)

daynah
December 14th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Rowr! Ya'll'r feisty today!

Prisma
December 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum or group with the singular intention of baiting users into an argumentative response

http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/files/troll_2.jpg

Do not feed the trolls! :lolflag:

smartboyathome
December 14th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I like Enlightenment (use it as my daily GUI). Though, since I only have 512 MB or ram, lets just say Compiz+Gnome didn't cooperate with other programs all the time. ;)

kelvin spratt
December 14th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Welcome to my world of E17

jviscosi
December 14th, 2007, 09:45 PM
http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/files/troll_2.jpg

I could swear I've seen this troll illustration in a book. Do you have a source for it?

Portable_Jim
December 14th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I tried Enlightenment, but I could not get the hang of it.

Prisma
December 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I could swear I've seen this troll illustration in a book. Do you have a source for it?

I don't know, I just googled it :lolflag:

Prisma
December 14th, 2007, 10:22 PM
this is the site if you want to check it out:

http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/dealingwithtrolls.html

LuisAugusto
December 15th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Besides, E17 hasn't got a dock. ;-)

It has a dock, it's called itask.

smartboyathome
December 15th, 2007, 07:00 AM

It also has Engage (though it hasn't been maintained in over a year, and won't compile :().

DjBones
December 15th, 2007, 08:49 AM
enlightenment has alot going for it,
it can't be beat for how light it is to how appealing the aesthetics are..
although i'd still prefer fluxbox personally lol

lundish
December 15th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I have THAT book. couldnt find it but it is about hobgoblins and their lives.
ps. it has nothing to do with the world of lord of the ring :)

n3tfury
December 15th, 2007, 11:10 AM

another stupid use "i". how unoriginal.

molom
December 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM
another stupid use "i". how unoriginal.

Reminds me of the iRiver. Did the iRiver come first or the iPod? :D

n3tfury
December 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Reminds me of the iRiver. Did the iRiver come first or the iPod? :D

iRiver was a company founded in 99 and i believe the first iPod was introduced WAY back in 2001.

alvevind
December 15th, 2007, 05:16 PM

The troll is probably taken from the book "Gnomes" from dutch author Wil Huygen, published in the 1970's. It's a classic book about the gnomes known from European folk lore. Illustrations are plentyful and skillfully rendered. The book written like a very elaborate anthropological study of the gnome species and society. I highly recommend this book to anyone remotely interested in fairytales, folklore or fantasy.

http://www.amazon.com/Gnomes-Wil-Huygen/dp/0810909650

EDIT: The artists name is Rien Poortvliet.

jviscosi
December 16th, 2007, 02:00 AM

I meant a dock for DockApps (a la the various boxen). E17 has "shelves" (I think that's what they were calling them last time I used it) where you can put E applet programs, including itask, but no native support for DockApps. I imagine the E17 devs find DockApps unclean and aesthetically unappealing. ;-)

The troll is probably taken from the book "Gnomes" from dutch author Wil Huygen, published in the 1970's.

I think that is absolutely it! Thanks!

LuisAugusto
December 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I meant a dock for DockApps (a la the various boxen). E17 has "shelves" (I think that's what they were calling them last time I used it) where you can put E applet programs, including itask, but no native support for DockApps. I imagine the E17 devs find DockApps unclean and aesthetically unappealing. ;-)

You don't put itask in a shelve, but, yes I got your point.

But what you were talking about isn't called dock, it's called system tray, or systray for short ;)

hanzomon4
December 16th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I like Enlightenment (use it as my daily GUI). Though, since I only have 512 MB or ram, lets just say Compiz+Gnome didn't cooperate with other programs all the time. ;)

I have 512 MB of ram and my setup is decked out with bling. I usually have firefox open with 10 to 15 tabs, a music player, Pidgin, perhaps a nautilus window or 2, and a video(paused if I'm using the other stuff). I don't experience any slowdown. Strangely sometimes doing a mundane thing can bring me down to a crawl for no apparent reason, on occasion not often.

macogw
December 16th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I have 512 MB of ram and my setup is decked out with bling. I usually have firefox open with 10 to 15 tabs, a music player, Pidgin, perhaps a nautilus window or 2, and a video(paused if I'm using the other stuff). I don't experience any slowdown. Strangely sometimes doing a mundane thing can bring me down to a crawl for no apparent reason, on occasion not often.

You're probably using most of your RAM at all times and adding that 1 last task, though small, pushes you into the swap zone.

hanzomon4
December 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Perhaps but it returns to normal after a few seconds without me doing anything.

the8thstar
December 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Hmm... this whole thing about the i-something makes users look like i-diots. :)

fuscia
December 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
e17 reminds me of a girlfriend i once had: very pretty, very fast, totally psychotic.

jviscosi
December 16th, 2007, 10:08 PM
You don't put itask in a shelve, but, yes I got your point.

But what you were talking about isn't called dock, it's called system tray, or systray for short ;)

Actually I'm talking about this sort of dock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_%28computing%29#Other_operating_systems) as opposed to a system tray or notification area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taskbar#_note-0). Although come to think of it, I don't think E17 has a native system tray either ... IIRC, I used trayer or a gdesklets widget for a notification area when I ran E17.

Perhaps an example will help: My Fluxbox Slit (which would be considered a dock) contains, among other things, the "peksystray" DockApp, which in turn contains a system tray. This same DockApp also appears in my OpenBox dock when I run OpenBox, in my AfterStep wharf, and in my Window Maker clip or whatever that thing is called in Window Maker.

Anyway I think we're straying away from the original post so I'll stop now.

e17 reminds me of a girlfriend i once had: very pretty, very fast, totally psychotic.

Zhang Ziyi in "Rush Hour 2"? ;-)

LuisAugusto
December 16th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Actually I'm talking about this sort of dock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_%28computing%29#Other_operating_systems) as opposed to a system tray or notification area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taskbar#_note-0). Although come to think of it, I don't think E17 has a native system tray either ... IIRC, I used trayer or a gdesklets widget for a notification area when I ran E17.

Perhaps an example will help: My Fluxbox Slit (which would be considered a dock) contains, among other things, the "peksystray" DockApp, which in turn contains a system tray. This same DockApp also appears in my OpenBox dock when I run OpenBox, in my AfterStep wharf, and in my Window Maker clip or whatever that thing is called in Window Maker.

Anyway I think we're straying away from the original post so I'll stop now.

Then again, itask is a dock...

fuscia
December 16th, 2007, 11:34 PM

her character was misunderstood. she wasn't so bad. :(

thisllub
December 17th, 2007, 12:27 AM
I use e17 for extended periods without a mouse.

A dock is vastly inferior to the window list you get with ctrl-menu in e17.

The run-command dialog is brilliant and I use it for launching nearly all my apps with 2 or 3 keystrokes.

I have 3 screens and e17 handles multiple screen usage far better than Gnome or KDE.

I find it more stable than KDE - on a par with XFCE.

K.Mandla
December 17th, 2007, 01:43 AM
0 posts. hm. i wonder if WM devs spam other forums?
Good point. I was thinking the exact same thing. Let's close this one and see what happens. ...