PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Pen-Drive do you use and why?

tech9
December 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I have several Flash Drives,

I like Corsair, it's a good brand IMHO

I have one 1GB drive that boots Ubuntu 7.10, that I can dynamically change (going to change to 2GB soon).
I have another 4GB drive for files and music.
Last, but not least I have 2 GB Pen as a spare, I may throw 7.10 on this drive and make my other 1GB a spare.

Kimm
December 14th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I have a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer micro, with U3 uninstalled, that I use for whatever comes to mind. Got it 'cos it was cheap and the one below started to get to small

I also have a 256MB Canyon (Dont know the model), that I use mostly for document backups. I got it a couple of years back to use as a transfer medium between computers without Floppy, CD-Burner or networkcard.

50words
December 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I had one, but it died on me. I never used it, so I don't think I will replace it. I need more storage than just a few GB if it is going to be useful. Plus, I take my laptop with me just about everywhere.

mips
December 14th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I don't really care. The only requirement I have is that it be thin & slimline and not obstruct other usb ports!

I have a really old 512MB Z-cyber that obstructs ports, grrr!
I also recently just got a 4GB axiz slimline that does not obstruct any ports.

I should actually take the 512mb out of its housing and set it in resin.

markusf21
December 14th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I have a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 256MB that I got for Christmas last year.I mostly use it to fix my family's Windows computers.

tech9
December 14th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I don't really care. The only requirement I have is that it be thin & slimline and not obstruct other usb ports!

I have a really old 512MB Z-cyber that obstructs ports, grrr!
I also recently just got a 4GB axiz slimline that does not obstruct any ports.

I should actually take the 512mb out of its housing and set it in resin.

interesting... I have never had any problems with that.

aaaantoine
I have a Memorex 2GB that I use for small file transfers. It's easier than trying to work my way around my home's multi-router network. (Part of the reason it's set up this way is because there are two separately owned Vonage lines in the house.

tech9
I have a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 256MB that I got for Christmas last year.I mostly use it to fix my family's Windows computers.

:lolflag:

tech9
December 14th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I have a Memorex 2GB that I use for small file transfers. It's easier than trying to work my way around my home's multi-router network. (Part of the reason it's set up this way is because there are two separately owned Vonage lines in the house.

Hey, how do you like Vonage? I was looking into it at one point, but it was new at the time.

macogw
December 14th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I have a 4GB Sony Microvault. I like it because it's retractable like the SanDisk Micro Cruizer, but it doesn't have that U3 junk. I also have a 4GB TravelDrive. The TravelDrive is a bit large.

tech9
December 14th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I have a 4GB Sony Microvault. I like it because it's retractable like the SanDisk Micro Cruizer, but it doesn't have that U3 junk. I also have a 4GB TravelDrive. The TravelDrive is a bit large.

I agree about the U3 junk... I format all my drives as soon as I get them.

aaaantoine
December 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hey, how do you like Vonage? I was looking into it at one point, but it was new at the time.

No complaints. After taxes it costs about $8 or $9 / month more than advertised, but it works nicely on the Road Runner cable network.

tech9
December 14th, 2007, 06:42 PM
No complaints. After taxes it costs about $8 or $9 / month more than advertised, but it works nicely on the Road Runner cable network.

cool, thanks for the info :)

macogw
December 14th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I agree about the U3 junk... I format all my drives as soon as I get them.

I was under the impression that formatting didn't fix it because it's in the firmware. And then the u3.com removal tool is only for Windows, even though before they give it to you they ask why you want to get rid of it and offer "I use Mac or Linux" as a reason...and then they give you a Windows program....idiots.

Lster
December 14th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Size is the most important thing for me - physical size that is! ;) My pen-drive's data storage capacity is only 256MB though, but that is plenty for all I use it for!

mips
December 14th, 2007, 10:39 PM
interesting... I have never had any problems with that.

Then never buy one of these, http://www.z-cyber.net/Products/Qstikv5.htm

I have a older version but they look the same. If you plug it into a usb port you cannot use the usb port below it without pushing the new device in at a angle as the bottom part of the z-cyber portrudes to far down. Also on my laptop it's to wide to use if I want to use the external vga port.

smartboyathome
December 14th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I have a memorex traveldrive with Memorex uninstalled. It does have 50 mb less than advertised because of U3 though. :( I use it because it was cheap when I bought it.

LaRoza
December 14th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I have many, but I have two 4 GB Sandisk MicroCruzers, with U3 uninstalled.

I get them because the store I buy from puts them on sale.

tech9
December 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I was under the impression that formatting didn't fix it because it's in the firmware. And then the u3.com removal tool is only for Windows, even though before they give it to you they ask why you want to get rid of it and offer "I use Mac or Linux" as a reason...and then they give you a Windows program....idiots.

really, all the U3 that I have seen are exes, or programs right the flash drive that can be erased. Did they start to implement this as firmware in the flash drives now?

tech9
December 17th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Then never buy one of these, http://www.z-cyber.net/Products/Qstikv5.htm

I have a older version but they look the same. If you plug it into a usb port you cannot use the usb port below it without pushing the new device in at a angle as the bottom part of the z-cyber portrudes to far down. Also on my laptop it's to wide to use if I want to use the external vga port.

I never heard of this brand before, but thanks for the heads-up.

bobbocanfly
December 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM
About to inherit my sisters 1gb iPod Shuffle. Looks like that will replace my two freebie 64mb sticks i got from Working in the summer, unless i can find something cool to do with it.

omegamike3
December 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I have a 2gb drive that I got for free when I signed up with Qwest. I was rather surprised by it when it arrived. It didn't have any sort of logo on the outside of it and it uses a Samsung chip. Not bad, considering I was expecting something that would burn 'Qwest Rox' into my palm. :-P

blithen
December 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I have two, 256mb I bought 'cause I like the brand.
andthe 2gig one was 'cause it was cheap.

klange
December 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I have a 2gb Samsung MightyDrive with 7.10 on it (which I got for free), and a 128mb generic stick I got with a pack of DVD+Rs from Staples (with DSL on it). I also normally carry an old floppy with Grub - just in case (I still need to reformat it so that the old DOS-based BIOSes see it...)

engla
December 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I have one 1G SanDisk Cruzer Micro and one 1G Corsair Padlock (http://www.corsairmemory.com/products/padlock.aspx) I got from a company I was working at.. yes it has 5 number pads and takes a pin code.. I don't see any difference performance-wise with them; the Padlock thing is much bulkier though, and I don't trust the lock in it really; important things are encrypted anyway to be sure.

And yeah I bought the 1G thing pretty cheaply in Hong Kong 1 1/2 years ago in a pretty fantastic Electronics Market (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Shopping_Centre).. so much gadgets, games and things.. and all I came out with was a tiny flash stick! :)

tech9
December 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I have a 2gb Samsung MightyDrive with 7.10 on it (which I got for free), and a 128mb generic stick I got with a pack of DVD+Rs from Staples (with DSL on it). I also normally carry an old floppy with Grub - just in case (I still need to reformat it so that the old DOS-based BIOSes see it...)

that's cool...

I couldn't help but notice your avatar. MS thought that they were brilliant with the user account control.... they stole this structure/security feature from Linux. Microsoft got to where they are today, by stealing brilliant ideas.

tech9
December 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I have one 1G SanDisk Cruzer Micro and one 1G Corsair Padlock (http://www.corsairmemory.com/products/padlock.aspx) I got from a company I was working at.. yes it has 5 number pads and takes a pin code.. I don't see any difference performance-wise with them; the Padlock thing is much bulkier though, and I don't trust the lock in it really; important things are encrypted anyway to be sure.

And yeah I bought the 1G thing pretty cheaply in Hong Kong 1 1/2 years ago in a pretty fantastic Electronics Market (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Shopping_Centre).. so much gadgets, games and things.. and all I came out with was a tiny flash stick! :)

for the padlock...
just another thing that could go wrong/break - & then not be able to get to your data :)
+1 to -important things are encrypted anyway to be sure.

ssam
December 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM
my 4GB Datawrite died today :-(

FuturePilot
December 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I have a 2GB SanDisk Cruzer micro. Ditched U3 because U3 is no good:twisted: Replaced it with PortableApps. :D

really, all the U3 that I have seen are exes, or programs right the flash drive that can be erased. Did they start to implement this as firmware in the flash drives now?
They have it implemented weird. U3 acts as a virtual CD-ROM drive. I guess just formatting it would work. That seems to be what their removal tool does.

I let them know I use Linux when they asked why I was removing it :twisted:

-grubby
December 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1 GB. I got it because it was the cheapest flash drive at WalMart

tech9
December 17th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I have a 2GB SanDisk Cruzer micro. Ditched U3 because U3 is no good:twisted: Replaced it with PortableApps. :D

They have it implemented weird. U3 acts as a virtual CD-ROM drive. I guess just formatting it would work. That seems to be what their removal tool does.

I let them know I use Linux when they asked why I was removing it :twisted:

good reason! :)

tech9
December 17th, 2007, 11:14 PM
my 4GB Datawrite died today :-(

sorry to hear that :(

How long have you had it?

I got my 4GB corsair on newegg.com for $30

Mateo
December 17th, 2007, 11:17 PM
2GB SanDisk Cruzer micro. that's all. threw my old one away.

tech9
December 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
2GB SanDisk Cruzer micro. that's all. threw my old one away.

I see that a lot of people have SanDisk Cruzer micro sticks... another popular brand or just cheap/inexpensive?

zmjjmz
December 17th, 2007, 11:36 PM
2GB Lexar Jump Drive...
it cost 90$, last year... I was really ripped off...
But then again, it's been through the laundry cycle twice (my fault, both times) and has come out perfectly...

Mateo
December 17th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I see that a lot of people have SanDisk Cruzer micro sticks... another popular brand or just cheap/inexpensive?

sandisk is very popular, if that's what you're asking. i don't know about inexpensive though, i didn't really shop around. i just like that it doesn't have a cap that will inevitably get lost.

gn2
December 17th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I use a Swissbit mini-twist because it's physically small and neat with a folding USB cover.

Don't like pop-off caps, they always get lost eventually!

engla
December 18th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I see that a lot of people have SanDisk Cruzer micro sticks... another popular brand or just cheap/inexpensive?I noticed too (and I am one of the owners). I'm not sure but I think it was pretty inexpensive, but I also like that my 1G SanDisk is very light and small (even short, it is not a long thing pen-like thing). Mine has a cap and a removable plastic case though, and came in pink and blue, so you can switch! :) :) However, the plastic cap is invariably lost

Yes I would recommend a SanDisk cruzer micro ;-) that + encryption and you don't need the bulky pin-code thing, too!

NovaAesa
December 18th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I have a 2GiB Transcend, but I don't really like it that much. The casing feels very flimsy. I think I'll get a SanDisk Cruzer next time.

tech9
December 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I forgot to mention the corsair sticks that I own, claim to be water resistant, not sure about waterproof (meaning completely submerged in water) but maybe I will buy a 1GB to test it sometime. The 1 GB sticks only cost $10. :)

mmb1
December 25th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I use an imation 2 GB that I use for file transfers between my family and personal computer.

tech9
December 26th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I am looking to get a 16GB, but they are pricey :-k

Dale61
December 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I have a 2GiB Transcend, but I don't really like it that much. The casing feels very flimsy. I think I'll get a SanDisk Cruzer next time.

I bought a 4GB (green) Transcend back in September (A$88 at JB HiFi), and the cap had cracked within two days. That now stays at home and gets shared (and works flawlessly) between my Ubuntu pc and my partners ******* pc. Please, don't ask the obvious question.

I have since bought an 4 GB Adata (Taiwan) swivel (A$34) from the local computer market, and it also works flawlessly.

runningwithscissors
December 27th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I don't use pen drives. My machine is usually online 24/7, so I just copy files to and from it (provided there is an internet connection, but most computers that I may use have one).

kevdog
December 27th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I had one of those Corsair drivers -- the rubber on the outside although a good concept kept attracting lint that I couldnt get off when it was in my pocket. And the cheap flimsy cap -- totally weak. I lost that in a minute.

Ive used a bunch of Lexars for a while. They are reliable - can go through wash -- however fairly slow.

I havent tried the Sandisk - but look the retractable feature.

Just got a 8gb stick that someone gave to me. Am going to load up portable apps, portable cygwin, and puppy linux or DSL Linux on it.

Tristam Green
December 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I use SanDisk almost exclusively. I dislike the 3rd-party apps they provide, so I remove those immediately upon purchase.

Currently I own a 512MB Cruzer Micro, a 1GB Cruzer Mini, and a new 4GB Cruzer Micro (black, with the retractable dongle).

Since they introduced the retractor-dongle, I'm sold on them.

Also, I use SD cards an awful lot :)

tech9
December 27th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I had one of those Corsair drivers -- the rubber on the outside although a good concept kept attracting lint that I couldnt get off when it was in my pocket. And the cheap flimsy cap -- totally weak. I lost that in a minute.

Ive used a bunch of Lexars for a while. They are reliable - can go through wash -- however fairly slow.

I havent tried the Sandisk - but look the retractable feature.

Just got a 8gb stick that someone gave to me. Am going to load up portable apps, portable cygwin, and puppy linux or DSL Linux on it.

Really?
I have not lost my cap yet. I think the rubber cap provides for a snug fit :)

%hMa@?b<C
December 27th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I just got a Kingston SD card reader for XMas, so I guess thqats my new USB drive (as a bonus, my MP3 player reads SD cards)

tech9
December 27th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I just got a Kingston SD card reader for XMas, so I guess thqats my new USB drive (as a bonus, my MP3 player reads SD cards)

cool, how big is the SD card?

RudolfMDLT
December 27th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I have a Verbatim 4Gb. It has U3 software on it but it only works in windows. Kinda cool, the software loads and in the system tray you get a startbutton-thing. Click on it and you get mini versions of Firefox and email and some document editors. It's almost like carrying your Documents and Settings folder around with you! Though it doesn't work in Ubuntu, so I decided to go one up and installed Ubuntu on the drive, now I take my whole OS with me! :)

init1
December 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I've got two right now, but that's because I gave away two to friends and lost one. One is a 1GB Sandisk Cruzer and the other is a 2GB Memorex traveldrive. The Cruzer is rather annoying because some BIOS's won't boot it. It also has that pointless U3 feature. The traveldrive is a lot better IMHO and actually boots correctly on all computers I try it on.

insane_alien
December 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM
running DSL on my 128MB pendrive. unknown make.

use a 4GB LG pendrive(bought purely because it is shiny) for chucking files around if the network is otherwise occupied.

have an 8GB mp3 player that sometimes gets used for file transfer as well.

if its a big file(>20GB) i'll use my external HDD(250GB packard bell) over the network or pendrives.

notwen
December 27th, 2007, 06:00 PM
4GB Sandisk Cruzer x3. Have Puppy installed on one, and the other 2 are for whatever.

Mad_Dawg
December 27th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I have a 128MB Sony Microvault that I bought back when I was in college because it seemed to be the best value for the money. And it is a Sony. It has functioned flawlessly. Although I did have to glue the case back on to it.

I also have a 1gig SanDisk Cruzer that was provided by my boss. I have not tried this one with my Kubuntu. It does seem to work well with XP, which is the work machine and on my dual boot.

For anything that these won't handle I drag out my Maxtor 160gig external drive. This works well with Kubuntu