PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing PCs with Ubuntu for Fun and Profit?

Murrquan
December 14th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Hi, all. You know there're a lot of companies selling Ubuntu PCs now, like Everex, System76 and even Dell. And I know you've heard of a lot of great people refurbishing old PCs to give to nonprofits and such, and putting Ubuntu on them.

I had this crazy idea of putting the two together, and refurbishing PCs with Ubuntu in order to sell them on eBay. I must've installed Fedora and Ubuntu together like a dozen times in the past six months while playing with different settings, and I think it sounds like a fun project. Trouble is, I'm not really sure where to start. I've a vague idea that people give free hardware away on Craigslist, and I can install Ubuntu on a PC. But that's about it.

Anyone have any ideas? Are there, like, places where they talk about this kind of thing? >.> At the least it'd give me practice for helping my friends with Ubuntu, and I'd really like to try this out. So any advice or leads would be appreciated. Many thanks.

astromech
December 19th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Can you offer support ? If not, bad idea.Try selling locally first.

maybeway36
December 20th, 2007, 12:20 AM
You would need to offer them the source code for all included programs. :\ Good luck pulling all that off APT.

Kingsley
December 20th, 2007, 01:08 AM
You would need to offer them the source code for all included programs. :\ Good luck pulling all that off APT.

Why would he need to do that? If the customer wants the source code, he or she can apt-get source for it.