PDA

View Full Version : Tihs is not a tpyo

popch
December 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Tomosaur
December 14th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Not tihs aaign :(

fatality_uk
December 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I just read in archaeology weekly, that there is a newly discovered cave in Bolivia, which was thought to be inhabited some 25,000 years ago. Among the artefacts and cave paintings was a message written in a ancient tongue. It has now been translated; The text is below:

Aoccdrnig to a cvaeamn at an Elingsh cvae, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

me ug cvaenam syas, waht a laod of b******s

dnns123
December 14th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Tihs has been gnoig on for yaers...

d0nny2600
December 14th, 2007, 04:32 PM
What a relevant post...

ticopelp
December 14th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Personally, I'll still assume anyone who does this is either lazy or badly educated.

~LoKe
December 14th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Personally, I'll still assume anyone who does this is either lazy or badly educated.

And you would assume incorrectly.

It's a common practice in speed-reading, and I've applied it more often than not. However, the fault is that there are many words with the same letters, beginning and end, but mean completely different things. It only works for common, easy words.

aaaantoine
December 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM
The greater the length of the word, the less likely you are to be able to read it under this method. Especially if the contents are really messed up.

The ecnivede is aepnarpt in tihs sneectne taht ioetilnantlny uess gtauagnarn and hielvay grelbad lcxoein.

But then again, if you can read that, perhaps I'm not trying hard enough.

LaRoza
December 14th, 2007, 07:17 PM
The greater the length of the word, the less likely you are to be able to read it under this method. Especially if the contents are really messed up.

The ecnivede is aepnarpt in tihs sneectne taht ioetilnantlny uess gtauagnarn and hielvay grelbad lcxoein.

But then again, if you can read that, perhaps I'm not trying hard enough.

I can read that.

It mostly has to do with the human brain, some people cannot make sense of writing like that.

Our brain doesn't to the first grade bit of sounding out words, unless we don't know the word.

~LoKe
December 14th, 2007, 07:24 PM

The evidence is apparent in this sentence that intentionally uses gargantuan and heavily garbled lexicon?

lespaul_rentals
December 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
mna i haet it wneh osemone psot tish *** bad language removed ***

aaaantoine
December 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM
The evidence is apparent in this sentence that intentionally uses gargantuan and heavily garbled lexicon?

Yeah, that's it.

ticopelp
December 18th, 2007, 05:37 PM
And you would assume incorrectly.

It's a common practice in speed-reading, and I've applied it more often than not. However, the fault is that there are many words with the same letters, beginning and end, but mean completely different things. It only works for common, easy words.

It's a common practice for speed readers to spell poorly? Maybe we're misunderstanding each other.

toupeiro
December 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM
It's a common practice for speed readers to spell poorly? Maybe we're misunderstanding each other.

+1 to ticopelp here. As tired as I am of seeing this decorate my most favorite boards over the last few years, I still can't help but think. Yes, this in essence what speed readers do ... except what they read is written correctly!!

May this illiterate writing practice die of dysentery next to 1337 sp33k.

~LoKe
December 18th, 2007, 05:51 PM

No...it's common practice for speed readers to scan over a word without reading its entirety, thereby evaluating a words content.

fatality_uk
December 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
please someone kill this evil satans spawn of a thread :D

ticopelp
December 18th, 2007, 06:03 PM
No...it's common practice for speed readers to scan over a word without reading its entirety, thereby evaluating a words content.

Ah, see, sorry for the confusion -- that's not what I meant. I was speaking of people who don't bother to spell correctly, either because they never bothered to learn or just don't feel like making the effort. Speed-readers might not have any trouble skipping over words, but I do, and having to puzzle out misspelled words both takes me longer to read and makes me a little irritated that someone can't take the time to spell properly.

Also, it might not make a difference technically, but potential employers and academics are certainly going to notice, as will a casual reader in any kind of formal environment -- for that reason alone, I think it's a bad habit to get into, even someplace like a message board, where it ostensibly "doesn't matter."

+1 to ticopelp here. As tired as I am of seeing this decorate my most favorite boards over the last few years, I still can't help but think. Yes, this in essence what speed readers do ... except what they read is written correctly!!

May this illiterate writing practice die of dysentery next to 1337 sp33k.

Thank you, and agreed!

popch
December 18th, 2007, 06:26 PM
What impresses me most about that piece of prose is the fact that many people actually can read it without any major difficulty.

However, I have not met anyone yet who didn't notice that the spelling was not entirely usual, and I rather expect that everyone takes much more time reading the garbled version than the regular one.

I also find it very telling that composing a text which is really hard to understand takes some effort.

I stand in awe at the processing power and flexibility of the human brain which takes care of such tasks so gracefully and efficiently.

I am also much intrigued that there are techniques - such as speed reading - which explicitly exploit those special capabilites of our wetware. Apparently, most brains work the same way.

With my apologies to all members who apparently have seen this all too often.