PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] eavesdropping on mobiles??

carloslosgrande
December 14th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Hi, I know this isn't related to ubuntu, but I know there are people here with a lot of expertise and I've googled all I can think of. Although not really knowing what to search for will have affected the results. My wife believes that a guy (Management staff at our apartment estate) is listening to her phone, and then using the info to create trouble for her business.
So,
1; other than 'legal' eavesdroppers, how likely is it that this can be done? We live in China and this particular guy is certainly not wealthy enough to buy high tech stuff.
2; She got onto some people here that are willing to sell her equipment that will do this - so she can listen in to his to find out for sure. I looked at the brochure they sent her and its a PDA - HP iPAQ 5555, so I think its just a con.
3; Its possible this guy has a strong enough guanxiwang (network) to get it done through the exchange but it seems both unlikely and unnecessary for the results he could get, He's just vindictive, no monetary gain.
Thanks for any ideas

~LoKe
December 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Eavesdrop on him to find out if he's doing it to her...? That's immoral, illogical, unethical and illegal. This is definitely NOT the place to have your questions answered.

carloslosgrande
December 14th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks for your opinion loke

mips
December 14th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Is your mobile network based on GSM or something else ?

Technically GSM can be cracked but it is very hard, much easier to intercept calls at the base station or further down.

carloslosgrande
December 14th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Hi Mips, she's on gsm.
I was right about my searching being poor, I've stumbled onto this site;http://www.tinhat.com/cell_phone/mobile_phone_security.html
which tells me just what I wanted to know, and agrees with you.
Thanks Mips:)

mips
December 14th, 2007, 10:48 PM
It would be easy if you were a government agency and you had a court order (warrant) to tap mobile conversations. This is then done with the co-operation of the cellular network operator.

Don't believe the movies ;)

Incense
December 14th, 2007, 11:36 PM
It would be easy if you were a government agency and you had a court order (warrant) to tap mobile conversations. This is then done with the co-operation of the cellular network operator.

Don't believe the movies ;)

Even then, you need psychical access to the phone, and the use of old school wire tap tech. We can't just push a button and hear customers conversations. A warrant will get you access to cell records, text messages, and GPS activities. Any modern digital (that's the key word, analog was completely unencrypted and could be listened to with any scanner or baby monitor at that) mobile uses a few levels of encryption that changes every time a call is made. That's not to say that a phone can not be cloned, but eavesdropping using anything but standing right next to a person who is talking is pretty much beyond most people... of course those annoying bluetooth headsets people seem to like do bring about a different story. ;)

BTW, I'm a tech for a major US carrier in case anyone is wondering how much of that I just made up, which is of course most of it... I think.

mips
December 15th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Even then, you need psychical access to the phone, and the use of old school wire tap tech.

Would politely disagree on requiring access to the phone. Dunno if I should say any more though.