PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your music

fenwik
December 14th, 2007, 12:49 AM
One of the things I missed since I started using ubuntu is and iTunes like music store. I did some reasearch and made a list of comparible service and want to know what others think.

http://www.hiup.com/page_toplist.php?id=89

Thanks for any help.

dasunst3r
December 14th, 2007, 12:53 AM
The Amazon MP3 store is practically the only store on there that seems non-skeezy to me. I tried eMusic one time, and I signed off of it the day I signed on.

rfruth
December 14th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Amazon is good for Mp3, you can listen (no e-store) for free @ last-fm:)

~LoKe
December 14th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I download it illegally.

fenwik
December 14th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I download it illegally.

I used to when I switched to linux and suffered through not having iTunes, but now I have a good amount of extra money, that I figure should go to obtaining music legally.:guitar:

jasay
December 14th, 2007, 01:01 AM
My wife's 300 cds.

fenwik
December 14th, 2007, 01:03 AM
My wife's 300 cds.

OO that's a lot

new2*buntu
December 14th, 2007, 01:05 AM
My Dad's 100+ CDs (although I only extracted about 50 of them, I didn't like the rest)

aysiu
December 14th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I buy CDs and browse Jamendo mainly.

Kingsley
December 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I download it illegally.
Me too.

jasay
December 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I buy CDs and browse Jamendo mainly.

Oh yeah. And Jamendo. I love cc.

fenwik
December 14th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Oh yeah. And Jamendo. I love cc.

I've never really been too keen on Jamendo, sure there are lots of great stuff there, if you like hunting it down. Plus it only has garage bands(if you will)

AndyCooll
December 14th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I have started looking around for legally free music ...and when you begin to look there's loads of it around. Obviously Jamendo ...but also download.com, we7, spiralfrog (for US users I believe), and netlabels are other good places to start. Fingertips, largeheartedboy, 3hive and freealbums are decent mp3 blogs too. And those are just for starters.

As for pay sites, Magnatunes, we7, and Amazon are good places to start.

:cool:

toupeiro
December 14th, 2007, 01:30 AM
To be honest: I do more streaming now.

StreamTuner and Last.FM are my two major points for music. I am also a sirius radio subscriber, so I sometimes listen to sirius online.

Then, I do online playlists like projectplaylist.com (http://www.projectplaylist.com)

If I absolutely have to get it on mp3, I resort to old school newsgroups:

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.*

alt.binaries.mp3.*

I'm a vinyl hound. If its worth having, its worth having a good copy.

Erdaron
December 14th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I have an Amazon credit card, and when it accumulates enough points, I get free Amazon money. That translates into a couple free CDs every few months. I also sometimes browse used CD stores for cheap, obscure albums.

I occasionally trade CDs with my friends.

For streaming, I like somafm.com, paddyrock.com, musopen.com.

And I've started going to more live shows. By luck, one of my favorite bands (Calexico) is based in the same town where I live, and they play free shows now and then.

iPower
December 14th, 2007, 02:50 AM
the pirate bay ;)

siciliancasanova
December 14th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I primarily listen to Indie Pop Rocks and Groove Salad on somafm.com (http://somafm.com)

Saves me digging through my playlist all the time changing stuff, and allow me to hear new music. When I hear something new that I like I will head over to TPB or if not there I will browse google until I find some more songs by the artist.

bartos
December 14th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Newsgroups - 1200 kps

Incense
December 14th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Amazon Music Store, or some used CD shops in the area. Black and Read and Wax Trax come to mind. I would go down the darker road of bit torrent, but honestly most of the music on the pirate bay and the like is rubbish, and there is something about going to a real music store and browsing through the bins to find some hidden gem. You kids wouldn't know about that though would ya.

EDIT: Ok, so it's not all rubbish, but all the good stuff has no seeds.

banjobacon
December 14th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Other Music (http://othermusic.com) (the physical store, not the digital download store)

sloggerkhan
December 14th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I've bought a couple albums off magnatune, use jamendo some. I like jamendo, but I think searching through music on it is a pain in the %&$. I've purchased a number of CDs and gotten more copied from friends.

vishzilla
December 14th, 2007, 04:22 AM
I mostly listen through Last.fm. Download legally free music from Download.com, Jamendo and share music with my friends

pmgr33r
December 14th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Demonoid...until it was tragically shut down, now iTunes on the Windows partition

DjBones
December 14th, 2007, 05:36 AM
a here here for pirating?
isoHunt mainly.. although using streamripper for net-radio and audacity to record the output for myspace-music are also up there ;)

dimbulb1024
December 14th, 2007, 05:53 AM
I download a little, but most is from sharing with friends.

GrahamOtte
December 14th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Bittorent:lolflag:

jken146
December 14th, 2007, 05:57 AM
+1 for Jamendo.

I don't like their new site though. No oggs! No torrents either, unless you stop the http download and then choose the torrent. Insane step in the wrong direction! I also find the new look harder to navigate and, just for good measure, I don't like the colour.

inversekinetix
December 14th, 2007, 06:56 AM
There's a lot of talk of illegal activity in this thread, it should be closed for that reason. Illegally downloading music not oly hurts the hardworking artists but also many of the people involved in the music industry. It is not something to be proud of and certainly goes against the grain of ubuntu's ideals.

Lostincyberspace
December 14th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I go to the library and check out cds I would like to try, and eventualy I by one or too.

~LoKe
December 14th, 2007, 07:24 AM
There's a lot of talk of illegal activity in this thread, it should be closed for that reason. Illegally downloading music not oly hurts the hardworking artists but also many of the people involved in the music industry. It is not something to be proud of and certainly goes against the grain of ubuntu's ideals.

No, it's the RIAA that's hurting the artists. I don't look for justification in what I do, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that I'd buy a CD if I thought the artist was getting a fair cut. Paying $20 for a CD where the artist profits about $0.60 is ridiculous.

But regardless, a question was asked, an answer was given.