PDA

View Full Version : how to allow apache run sudo commands

torpe0
December 13th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Hi :)

I'm trying to activate an linux command that requires sudo from a CGI Perl script. This is for an internal website.

I have asked my friend google about this, and found different solutions, not getting anything to work properly.

In perl I run:
$return=(system("sudo iptables -F"));
The $return-value gets set to 256 when this runs.

In sudoers I have tried to add lots of different lines, without any luck so far :) What is the correct syntax here? And does sudoers REALLY need to be edited in vi, or could I sudo nano sudoers? At last - do I need a reboot or something after editing sudoers?

Thanks for all reply
--
Tor Arne

slavik
December 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
using sudo like that will def not work because sudo is interactive ...

what you can do though (in Perl) is something like this:

$output = `echo 'password' | sudo -S iptables -F`;

the password promt gets printed to stderr (it still appears in terminal), not sure how it affects any program you might want to run as root if they print to stderr.

geirha
December 13th, 2007, 10:22 PM
The following are some example entries for sudoers, allowing the apache user (www-data) to run iptables, ifconfig and route without specifying a passwd. (the commands must be specified with full path)

User_Alias APACHE = www-data
Cmnd_Alias FIREWALL = /sbin/iptables, /sbin/ifconfig, /sbin/route

APACHE ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: FIREWALL

Remember to use the visudo command to edit the sudoers file. Don't edit it directly, and run a root shell in a terminal in case you manage to make an error in the file (which would make sudo stop working).

@slavik. Piping the password to sudo won't work as sudo doesn't read the password from stdin.

torpe0
December 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Yes, that worked :) Silly me had /path/to/cgi/script as cmnd. *blush*. Thank you very much :)

--
ta

slavik
December 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM
The following are some example entries for sudoers, allowing the apache user (www-data) to run iptables, ifconfig and route without specifying a passwd. (the commands must be specified with full path)

User_Alias APACHE = www-data
Cmnd_Alias FIREWALL = /sbin/iptables, /sbin/ifconfig, /sbin/route

APACHE ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: FIREWALL

Remember to use the visudo command to edit the sudoers file. Don't edit it directly, and run a root shell in a terminal in case you manage to make an error in the file (which would make sudo stop working).

@slavik. Piping the password to sudo won't work as sudo doesn't read the password from stdin.

Are you telling me that the man page lied?

-S The -S (stdin) option causes sudo to read the password from the
standard input instead of the terminal device.

EDIT: I will say that your solution is better than mine. :)

geirha
December 14th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Are you telling me that the man page lied?

EDIT: I will say that your solution is better than mine. :)

A lack of rtfm from my side. I stand corrected :)

torpe0
December 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I got my service up and running, now to the next problem.. My cgi script runs an at -command, trying to schedule an scpript containing iptables commands.
So I remove www-data from at.deny, and cgi does now run at to schedule to run script, but the commands in the script are not executed. I have tried to add /path/to/script/including/script/name in sudoers, but nothing happens. What am I missing this time?

geirha
December 19th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Hard to say. Running
sudo atq shows the scheduled job to be run at the correct time? What does the code that executes the at-command look like?

torpe0
December 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM
yes it schedules correct. Command is
$info=(system("sudo at -f /home/int/test $fratid"));
where $fratid is 00:30 20.12.07

now I think problem here is that it should be
$info=(system("sudo at -f /home/int/test $fratid"));
but that gives $info=256

I added /usr/bin/at in my CmndAlias in sudoers.
hmm..

geirha
December 20th, 2007, 09:01 AM
hm, if www-data has allowance to run at as root without password, then I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work either.