PDA

View Full Version : Ban non-Ubuntu team members from making Blueprints

bruce89
December 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM
The Launchpad Blueprints (https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/) system has far too many blueprints (1842). Most of them are silly, such as removing the FHS or things that should be bugs.

I think only Ubuntu team members should be able to write blueprints.

aysiu
December 13th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Can you explain a bit more about what the ideal process would look like?

23meg
December 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Who are "Ubuntu team members"? ubuntu-dev? I don't think a sensible group to restrict it to can be agreed upon; there will always be people capable of writing good blueprints that you'll be excluding, and excluding people that way isn't good PR.

You need to define the problem well. The problem is that there are too many blueprint entries (not blueprints) that are devoid of any substance. Why? Because people seem to treat the blueprint system as a feature request mechanism. Why? Probably because they're led to think so by external sources, and because the fact that it's not a feature request mechanism isn't emphasized well enough anywhere.

Another thing: some projects do use the blueprint module as a feature request mechanism; it's entirely usable that way. The point is that Ubuntu doesn't.

bruce89
December 13th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Can you explain a bit more about what the ideal process would look like?

I don't know, but I know not to have the system in use currently.

You need to define the problem well. The problem is that there are too many blueprint entries (not blueprints) that are devoid of any substance. Why? Because people seem to treat the blueprint system as a feature request mechanism. Why? Probably because they're led to think so by external sources, and because the fact that it's not a feature request mechanism isn't emphasized well enough anywhere.

This sounds right.

aysiu
December 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Well, forgive my ignorance, but I thought blueprints were a legitimate venue for feature requests.

Can I then ask what blueprints are for?

And is there another legitimate venue for feature requests?

bruce89
December 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Well, forgive my ignorance, but I thought blueprints were a legitimate venue for feature requests.

They should be bug reports IMHO.

23meg
December 13th, 2007, 06:52 PM

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureSpecifications

Feature requests mostly work at the upstream level, and not so well at the distro level, partly because what makes up "features" is actually programmed upstream. Distro-level features are best decided upon with consensus rather than hit-and-run requests; with major ones, it's best to discuss them at a development mailing list and/or forum with the people involved, and try to reach a consensus on what should be done. With trivial ones, filing bugs will be enough.