PDA

View Full Version : Linux, it is not about others

PartisanEntity
December 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I posted this on my blog, but I would like to post it here too:

Over and over again on ubuntuforums.org, I have seen discussions (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=639139) where a poster would like to make friends or relatives switch to a Linux based operating system (OS) by showing them statistics.

This is the wrong way to go about it. Switching to any operating system is not about numbers and graphs, it's about you, the individual, and your needs.

If you are contemplating switching to Linux or any other operating system, you need to do the research. The first step is to run the LiveCD (many Linux based operating systems are available as LiveCDs that run off the CD and your memory only, a kind of preview mode) on your main computer in order to see if your hardware is supported and whether the OS runs smoothly or has any problems.

The second step is to identify which applications you use in your current OS, and to have a look at the alternatives in Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/) for example. Do they meet your needs?

Finally, you must try to find out whether there are any applications that you cannot live without which do not yet exist in the OS you wish to switch to. If this is the case, then you should try to find out whether you can use them through virtualisation for example and whether they are as functional.

Even if 1 or 2 million users are happy with Ubuntu it might not suit your personal needs and hence it would not be wise to switch to it. The same applies for those thinking of switching from a Linux based OS to Windows or Mac.

Operating systems are tools, like the knife and fork you use to eat, or the pen and pencil you prefer to write with. Using a tool is not about marketing and gift-wrapping, it's about needs, at least that's what it should be about.

So in order to save yourself and others grief and disappointment, drop the numbers, drop the marketing and convince them with the content and the possibilities. Perhaps then it will really be 'the year of the Linux desktop (http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2007/07/09/another-tired-phrase-year-of-the-linux-desktop/)'…

aimran
December 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM
+1

billgoldberg
December 13th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I don't have to do anything!

This might be true for commercial/professional pc-usage, but doesn't apply to personal computer needs.

Any home computer running windows can be replaced by linux (ubuntu).

shavenlunatic
December 13th, 2007, 12:39 PM

that's a bit of a bold statement..

games machine?

kvonb
December 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
-

n3tfury
December 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM

This might be true for commercial/professional pc-usage, but doesn't apply to personal computer needs.

ahahahahahaha.

no.

are you the same guy that was going to "force" his g/f to use linux?

shavenlunatic
December 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
are you the same guy that was going to "force" his g/f to use linux?

oohh, linux rape.. a terrible crime

Muty-bg
December 13th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Muahaha. Actually my girlfriend saw me using ubuntu. And she wanted me to install it on her pc. She is a happy bunny ever since :)

n3tfury
December 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM

innit. dude actually had it in his sig too.

DrMega
December 13th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Going back to the original point, I agree.

The problem is in my expeience that for non-techies, Windows is either the only OS they've heard of or if they have heard of Linux, they have heard tales of text only installers where you need to know every technical detail about your hardware, lack of software, lack of hardware etc.

It is impossible to clear up this massively exaggerated, outdated misconception by quoting statistics.

I don't think anyone should be particularly encouraged to make the switch, but they should be shown that there is an option available to them other than Windows.

To that end, maybe (as has been suggested already) show them Ubuntu running from the LiveCD and demostrate its ease of use.

Another idea, but I'm not sure how practical it would be, is a virtual Ubuntu desktop via the web that users could experiment with, or at least some easily accessible, lightweight videos on the main Ubuntu site demonstrate such things as switching between Gnome and KDE sessions, adding software via Synaptic, writing a document etc.

At the end of the day, clear up the misconceptions and you might see a massive influx of new users.

lespaul_rentals
December 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Haha. I sure hope that's a joke. Please don't go around "converting" people with that attitude. We will get a lot of disappointed people starting rant threads in here.

forrestcupp
December 13th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Operating systems are tools, like the knife and fork you use to eat, or the pen and pencil you prefer to write with. Using a tool is not about marketing and gift-wrapping, it's about needs, at least that's what it should be about.
Beautifully said. For me, it's not a religion or philosophy, but a tool to get things done. If I enjoy using this tool to get things done, that's even better.

Mad_Dawg
December 13th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Be careful how you convince people. I was told that it, Gutsy, would find all my peripherals. After about 15 hours of work, my HP4000 still won't work (works fine on the XP side) and my Microtek scanner is a boat anchor (again, works on the XP side). I have also found that, unless it is on the add/delete programs, it is a pain in the @$$ to install anything. Keep in mind that I am more tech savy than many people, but not near as so as many of the people on these boards. Sadly, I have had to lower my expectations of what I am going to do in Linux. Somebody that had to be 'convinced' would probably quite supset to go through what I have to get this up and running.

oldb0y
December 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM
All OS have their up's and down's.
Windows got the virus/trojan thing going.
Linux got bad hardware support.
Just choose your riverside
:razz: