PDA

View Full Version : Murrine adds transperency to GTK

shafin
December 13th, 2007, 08:18 AM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.media/400/murrine_glass.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.media/460/murrine_rgba.png (http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.media/murrine_rgba.png)

GNOME theme engine designer Andrea Cimitan has implemented support for transparent widgets in the Murrine GTK theme engine (http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/08/21/how-to-make-a-gtk-theme-that-uses-multiple-theme-engines), bringing Vista-like translucent glass effects to the GNOME desktop. Cimitan used RGBA colormaps to implement the feature and says that, with only 10 or 20 extra lines of code, translucency can easily be added to other theme engines that support RGBA.Source:
http://www.cimitan.com/blog/2007/12/12/gtk-rgba-transparent-widgets-with-the-murrine-engine

It looks beautiful.:KS

hanzomon4
December 13th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Simply Immaculate, and your link is wrong (http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/12/12/gnome-theme-engine-designer-adds-transparency-to-gtk?bub)
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.media/murrine_glass.jpg

shafin
December 13th, 2007, 08:35 AM
My link is right,and so is yours.The news was published in Ars Technica,but the original source is the blog I gave in my post :)

hanzomon4
December 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Ah! I just got it...

PartisanEntity
December 13th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

klange
December 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
For lack of a better phrase to express my feelings towards this:
DO WANT.

mcduck
December 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Wonderful! This is what I've been waiting for _long_ time!

Now I just need to wait until there's something actually available for users.. It feels even harder to wait for it now that I know there already is some working solution around.. :/

spupy
December 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I really hope it would work with xcompmgr, because im not switching away from fluxbox anytime soon... other than that:
YES, PLZ!

~LoKe
December 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM
True or pseudo?

Steveway
December 13th, 2007, 07:24 PM
True or pseudo?

True of course. Didn't you even read the article?

sloggerkhan
December 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Murrine themes have always been my favorites and now they're even better.

~LoKe
December 13th, 2007, 07:30 PM
True of course. Didn't you even read the article?

I wouldn't have asked the question if I had.

bruce89
December 13th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Does this theme support GTK+ theme colour editing?

aimran
December 20th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Wait, i thought murrine is a theme not an engine. If that's the case, what engine is the default Ubuntu installation using?

~LoKe
December 20th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Wait, i thought murrine is a theme not an engine. If that's the case, what engine is the default Ubuntu installation using?

There's the Murrine Engine, then Murrina themes (which run on the Murrine engine, of course).

red_Marvin
December 20th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Looks sweet!

Btw, what is an "engine"? I have gnome, which is a de, running metacity, which is a wm, and ...is clearlooks etc engines? Are engines what govern gtk widget styles and looks?

smartboyathome
December 20th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Engines are basically what you said. Clearlooks, Ubuntulooks (which is a fork of clearlooks), rezlooks, etc are all GTK engines.

wana10
December 20th, 2007, 06:16 AM
quick mind-fart here, help appreciated, how do i change engines? i used murrine once and now i can't get rid of it, even if i try to use the human theme it has a murrine look...i can't get rid of it, ARRRGHh (help greatly appreciated)

smartboyathome
December 20th, 2007, 06:20 AM
If you uninstalled it, then Human isn't using the Murrine engine. The Human theme doesn't use the Murrine engine by default, you have to manually edit the theme's gtk files.

aidanr
December 20th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Looks great =D>

wana10
December 20th, 2007, 06:24 AM
If you uninstalled it, then Human isn't using the Murrine engine. The Human theme doesn't use the Murrine engine by default, you have to manually edit the theme's gtk files.

so murrine edited my human theme? darn you murrine! darn you to HECK!!! (for the record i have uninstalled the murrine engine and yet everything still has the striped grey bar from my last used murrine theme under the file, edit, etc.)

oh, and human isn't orange anymore...its grey, how would something like this happen?

EDIT* holy crap i fixed it...i probably used the monkey with a hammer approach but it worked, awesome. i deleted everything in my .themes folder and reinstalled every gtk theme through synaptic. i'm good now, sorry 'bout the freakout

smartboyathome
December 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM
so murrine edited my human theme? darn you murrine! darn you to HECK!!! (for the record i have uninstalled the murrine engine and yet everything still has the striped grey bar from my last used murrine theme under the file, edit, etc.)

(oh, and human isn't orange anymore...its grey, how would something like this happen?)

Hm... orange is GRAY? That must mean it isn't human then? i would check your ~/.themes/ directory in order to see if there is a theme which is masking over you default human theme (it would be in a folder called Human). Also, post what you get when you run this command:

gedit /usr/share/themes/Human/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

wana10
December 20th, 2007, 06:57 AM
too late now...wish i had waited for a response now instead of just blowing it away, heh.

yatt
December 20th, 2007, 08:37 AM
OMG! DO WANT! DO WANT! GIMME NOA!

Its about time. To me transparent Emerald + opaque GTK = tackiness at its best (or worst I guess).

This is a fine development.

~LoKe
December 20th, 2007, 08:39 AM
OMG! DO WANT! DO WANT! GIMME NOA!

Its about time. To me transparent Emerald + opaque GTK = tackiness at its best (or worst I guess).

This is a fine development.

If you're already using emerald, then compiz will add transparency...

yatt
December 20th, 2007, 08:55 AM
If you're already using emerald, then compiz will add transparency...
But not the same way as the Murrine engine can. Murrine can have only some widgets transparent with others fully opaque. AFAIK, compiz can only make everything transparent or everything opaque.

I hope one of the Qt Styles strikes back with something similar!

aimran
December 20th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the replies =)

I do believe however that xcompmgr and transset is an easier way to achive the above mentioned effects.

MyKal
February 11th, 2010, 06:21 AM
it is so unfortunate that people choose to take part in these conversations without reading any of the material that the conversation is based on

first of all the transparency in emerald is only for window borders and has nothing to do with this whatsoever

and neither does transset

all that program does is make an entire window transparent which for anything other then a stupidly gpu intensive way of identifying which window is active is utterly useless

this however would allow say the background of a window to be semi transparent while buttons text fields etc are fully opaque

opening up an endless amount of beautification potential to themers

again

this is not simply a way to make a window transparent

that would be far to mundane to warrant a post

please read and try to understand the articles before posting and CERTAINLY before correcting others

Skripka
February 11th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Necro!

MyKal
February 11th, 2010, 06:44 AM
feel better?

FuturePilot
February 11th, 2010, 07:16 AM
old thread is old.