PDA

View Full Version : Satisfied with Ubuntu?

dr.silly
December 13th, 2007, 03:27 AM
I'm trying to convince someone to make the switch. I think just having sheer numbers would help and to everyone else apprehensive about trying. Petition for ubuntu linux lovers!

LaRoza
December 13th, 2007, 03:53 AM
It is obvious most members of this forum will be satisfied with Ubuntu.

boast
December 13th, 2007, 04:18 AM
i think satisfaction halts innovation.

so I'm never satisfied :)

vishzilla
December 13th, 2007, 04:23 AM
@boast:Hmmm...very true.

djsroknrol
December 13th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Of course I am...that's why to this day, it's my distro of choice...

p_quarles
December 13th, 2007, 04:31 AM
i think satisfaction halts innovation.

so I'm never satisfied :)

Then why are there zero "no" votes? :)

BertP
December 13th, 2007, 04:35 AM

OT: Vish, you get my vote for coolest avatar :KS

Quillz
December 13th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Because of bias. Try making a poll that says, "Satisfied with Windows?" and look at the results.

LaRoza
December 13th, 2007, 04:54 AM

I voted no, to level the field.

hvac3901
December 13th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I shared my Disk with a co-worker that loaded it onto an old desktop that was the pits with microsoft OS, he says it runs better, and all, but jsut hasn't had time to play with it.

He then in turn gave the disk to a good freind, who is into computers, and frequently helps out other folks with theirs (i don't imagine he's too technical, just a guess) FUNNY PART, his wife calls my co-worker a few days later swearing he isn't ever allowed to speak to him again, because he hadn't left his computer alone since he received the Ubuntu disk from him.

By the way YES i am happy, still testing it out though. some stuff i do i just haven't gotten around to trying yet. I am having a minor addiction to Tetravex!!!

roachk71
December 13th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Like many of us, I'm still having a bit of trouble convincing a member of the household to switch. He's comfortable with the way Vista works now, and once he's set into a routine, rarely backs away from it.

I, however, am fed-up with Windows (any version), and happy with my Xubuntu 7.10 machine, and feel empathy toward all who are forced to switch from XP to Vista.

prodigalson666
December 13th, 2007, 05:48 AM
For my desktop YES! For my laptop NO!

inversekinetix
December 13th, 2007, 05:58 AM
no, it doesnt do what I need it to do without having to go through hours of irc and forum searching. I need to use my computer no spend hours getting it to do what i want.

Quillz
December 13th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Like many of us, I'm still having a bit of trouble convincing a member of the household to switch. He's comfortable with the way Vista works now, and once he's set into a routine, rarely backs away from it.

I, however, am fed-up with Windows (any version), and happy with my Xubuntu 7.10 machine, and feel empathy toward all who are forced to switch from XP to Vista.
"Forced to switch?" What about the gross majority of those who switch to Vista because they want to? Because they like Vista?

LaRoza
December 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM
"Forced to switch?" What about the gross majority of those who switch to Vista because they want to? Because they like Vista?

I believe that most Vista installations come preinstalled with new computers. A "forced" switch.

I have seen a lot of people getting XP on new computers, and requesting it. Vista holds little appeal (now) for people who are aware of it.

SomeGuyDude
December 13th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Yes and no.

This is probably my favorite distro and works the best, but as a Windows convert there's a lot of problems I have with it.

My biggest beef is that I work with Ubuntu "indirectly". With Windows, I was huge in the Explorer. I did as much as I could in there, and frequently dug through files in it, particularly the "Program Files" directory.

To this day I do not understand why you are NOT given the option to select where something is installed, and why everything is smashed into the giant /bin folder. I open that thing up and it does indeed look like a bin where everything has been thrown haphazardly. At least Windows kept everything segregated in the explorer.

And not just that, but the folder names made sense. Where's my program? Oh it's in "Program Files". System files? "WINDOWS". Not here, no. We have "initrd", "lib", "etc", and "dev". If you're used to navigating the file directory, Linux is a real pain unless you have a reference guide handy.

Thus, I never really work in the filesystem because it's impenetrable to me. I just stick in the "home" folder and avoid everything else. I don't like that feeling, though.

abadtooth
December 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Oh yeah!
I used to use Mandriva, but there was always something missing, but no longer :D
I'm more than satisfied, I'm downright thrilled I get to use Ubuntu every day :D

nutter78
December 13th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Yes and no.

And not just that, but the folder names made sense. Where's my program? Oh it's in "Program Files". System files? "WINDOWS". Not here, no. We have "initrd", "lib", "etc", and "dev". If you're used to navigating the file directory, Linux is a real pain unless you have a reference guide handy.

Thus, I never really work in the filesystem because it's impenetrable to me. I just stick in the "home" folder and avoid everything else. I don't like that feeling, though.

I'm very much in the same position as you - considered myself a power windows user/admin! Linux is different ;) - however once you take the time to learn why it works as it does - it then all starts to make sense! For example "lib" - stands for library, which is similar to dll's in windows; "dev" - stands for devices etc etc.

Linux is much more stable, secure, powerful,this all being said though I still miss some aspects of windows. Sometimes I don't feel like tinkering around for hours to get something to "just work".

All in all though - learn to be productive - use the right tool for the right job!

EdThaSlayer
December 13th, 2007, 09:45 AM
We need better drivers for graphic drivers and more drivers for webcams. We also need a lot more IM(instant messaging) software that allows voice and video chat.Yeah, I'm not really satisfied as you can see, but I still like Linux and use it daily. :guitar:

mybunche
December 13th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I have been using Ubuntu 6.10 for over a year now and will keep it until Hardy Heron 8.04 comes out. I am more than satisfied with Ubuntu. It has never failed or given any hassle or problems. It runs as fast as the day I first installed it. Because of this I actually use the computer as a tool and for enjoyment. When using Windows it was never like this. I have Ubuntu on a USB hard drive and only choose WinXp when have to update the virus programs, itunes and only a handful of other programs which I rarely use anyway.

I hope Ubuntu keeps advancing, pushing linux into the mainstream and keeps attracting new users.

PartisanEntity
December 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Sorry, I did not read through the whole thread. But showing someone how many people are happy with an OS is the wrong way to go about it. The question is not whether others are happy with it but whether the individual is happy with it and, whether it satisfies their needs.

The best way to help someone make a switch is to test a LiveCD on their hardware. Show them the Linux versions of the applications they would like to use and find out if there are any applications that they really need but which do not exist yet in Linux.

Even if 1 million people swear by Linux, it might not meet my needs.

daengbo
December 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
PartisanEntity,

Amen, brother. Don't "convince" anyone to switch. I just always tell my Windows using friends that I don't know too much about Windows after Win98. Ican't help them but with very simple questions.

If they are curious about what I've been using instead, I let them know .. a little. The fact that I never complain about downtime is the biggest postive sale point I can give to them.

afeasfaerw23231233
February 9th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I'm a linux noob but from my experience at least ubuntu is better than windows. In MS windows if my printer or scanner hangs than the OS hangs also -- can do nothing except pressing the hard reset button. And xubuntu is more stable than MS in old computers. I have some PIII computers and have -buntu loaded on it. So far don't have big problem.

The two main reasons I keep dual-booting with win XP is that

(1) my USB TV (DMB-TH) card doesn't provide linux driver (I've searched around the net but still have no luck).

(2) H.264 1080p/i video playback is extremely poor in ubuntu and cpu usage hits 100%. But in WinXP it is very smooth and only takes 8% cpu usage. I searched the forum and finally knew that PureVideo(HD) is not supported in linux. My main box is an old P4 so I need hardware acceleration for decoding (cheapo 8400gs can do the job).

And sometimes ubuntu cannot recognize chinese characters file or folder names in cd/dvd disc.

But overall ubuntu is good -- There's a bunch of opensource freewares and I can get rid of the piratics and virus.

I also tried to suggest my relatives trying ubuntu. But they keep saying the interface of linux is *****/crappy/rubbish/disgusting/unbearable/unusable,etc. and I don't know much about linux so I can't argue with them. :)

jespdj
February 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Why did you resurrect a thread that is a year and two months old?

hessiess
February 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Ubuntu is too bloated, which is why I use Arch.

Phreaker
February 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
There are bugs, not they are not showstoppers for me.
Hardware support is the major problem, but that is not a bug.

SIGTERMer
February 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Ubuntu is too bloated, which is why I use Arch.

+1

i also switched to arch because of that. although ubuntu is still my choice when it comes to servers.

billgoldberg
February 9th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I answered no.