PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Live v. Gnoppix

steffen
September 9th, 2005, 04:21 PM
The previous Ubuntu CDs (Warty and Hoary) have not automatically mounted my HDs. I haven't yet tried the Breezy live preview. Anyone know if Breezy will do this automatically?

Even if Breezy does, I presume it won't mount NTFS partitions, which is important when using it as a rescue CD. However, when I use live CDs for rescue for my friends, I would like to promote the Ubuntu/Gnome interface, simply to show off.

Does anyone know whether Gnoppix is a good alternative for this? Does Gnoppix 2.12 automount NTFS partitions? I have yet to try it...

Are there any other noticeable differences between Breezy live preview and Gnoppix 2.12?

Thanks for any comments/experiences regarding these two live CDs.

drizek
September 9th, 2005, 05:12 PM
just use knoppix. its the best. it mounts everything and has just about every app a livecd could have.

Arktis
September 9th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I don't know about the live cd, but breezy automaticly added entries from my other drives and partitions into fstab such that they were mounted on the first boot.

weekend warrior
September 9th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I haven't tried the latest Gnoppix but the last version was nearly identical to Ubuntu Live, right down to the "About Ubuntu" in the system menu IIRC. Different only in name, wallpaper, desktop icons, default theme and maybe a couple different app selections from what could see. Same goes for the Gnome LiveCD 2.12 which I have tried and it essentially is Ubuntu Live less the aesthetics; well actually even the new boot process screen says ubuntu on it.

So if what you're looking for isn't in Breezy, it's unlikely to be in those either.

xequence
September 9th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I think gnoppix is ubuntu live with a different name. Knoppix is good people say, though I really dont like KDE. I was wondering about a good rescue liveCD also :)

I also heard kanotix was good. I think its knoppix but with more modern hardware detection.