PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu at work

omegamike3
December 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I was just curious as to how many of us get to enjoy Ubuntu or any flavor of Linux at work. Personally, I run 7.10 on my desktop at work and have vmware running with windoz for when I need to use the programs I'm told I'm 'not allowed to make work in Wine'

n3tfury
December 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
you'll get a nice warning for the D word in your poll. i suggest you change it. i'm not voting just because if a network doesn't have linux or ubuntu doesn't mean the Admins are *****

so i'm posting "no", but we use Unix for IBM/AS400.

Warren Watts
December 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I work in a call center, and all the boxes are running windows 2k. The server they all connect to IS running Linux (Red Hat)

Now as to whether I USE Ubuntu at work....well, it depends on your definition of "use". They have a super restrictive firewall that blocks all the agents from browsing the Internet for "non-project designated" purposes. I discovered they left the Telnet port unblocked, so I set up SSH on my server at home on the telnet port so I can tunnel the browser at work thru my cable connection at home. Other agents are always walking by and saying, "Hey! How come you have Internet access???" I just chuckle....

So although I don't use Linux or Ubuntu at work, the server does, and I "use" it for my own purposes....

omegamike3
December 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
you'll get a nice warning for the D word in your poll. i suggest you change it.
I'll apologize in advance then for it. I meant it in good spirits, not to offend anybody. :(

BLTicklemonster
December 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
you'll get a nice warning for the D word in your poll. i suggest you change it. i'm not voting just because if a network doesn't have linux or ubuntu doesn't mean the Admins are *****

You do realize that an admin can be a "richard" for other reasons than not having linux, right? Like maybe always knowing that if Mommy and Daddy hadn't paid for his weekend warrior trip to get his Microsoft Wizard Degree, he'd still be at the burger stand trying to figure out which side of the burger to flip next. I gotta tell you, being an IT pro is not a sign of intelligence by any stretch of the imagination. And yes, a whole lot of them are "richards". Not all, but a lot.

I voted #2.

omegamike3
December 12th, 2007, 07:47 PM
So although I don't use Linux or Ubuntu at work, the server does, and I "use" it for my own purposes....
I would say that it counts as using. Creativity and enginutiy always win in my book.

ticopelp
December 12th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I used to work in a support environment where all the computers were running Red Hat. In all honest, I found it pretty terrible at the time. I think they later switched to Win XP after I left.

I work for myself, so yes, I get to use Ubuntu every day for work!

JurB
December 12th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I run Ubuntu in a VM: Use Bluefish to code our website, Gimp to process the images i make for our catalog.

n3tfury
December 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM
You do realize that an admin can be a "richard" for other reasons than not having linux, right?.

wth. is that a serious question? i was referring to the POLL. keep up.

markyb86
December 12th, 2007, 08:10 PM
-

We do too!!!! but were stuck with windows xp on all 34,000 computers in the nation. when i do a search on the network there are maybe 4 macs running osx and thats it!

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I believe that option 2 invalidates this poll.

You need to think why a Systems Admin would say no.
Like ...Company policy..... The need for standards..... version control..... or just plain common sense.

I am considering closing this so a better thought out and constructed poll may be developed.

jr.gotti
December 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
wth. is that a serious question? i was referring to the POLL. keep up.

"****" is a common nickname for the name "Richard." ;) Unless he was trying to open up the conversation to all the ways an admin can be a ****...than I get what your saying too. Hrmn....

I voted no...=[

n3tfury
December 12th, 2007, 08:31 PM
"****" is a common nickname for the name "Richard." ;) Unless he was trying to open up the conversation to all the ways an admin can be a ****...than I get what your saying too. Hrmn....

I voted no...=[

right. i can an infraction for A**, but D*** is okay? rofl. how convenient.