PDA

View Full Version : Web hosting

pedro_orange
December 12th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Have been recently looking for Web Hosting services but all the companies I seem to stumble accross throw all this free junk in your face like Google AdWords etc.
(Although my searches are limited cause I'm doing it at work heh heh)

I don't want any of that jazz. I'm just looking for a nice web host, not -that- expensive but not cheap enough to be dodgy. (I don't want to setup a home Webserver cause I am an eco-warrior & like to save electricity!)

Basically looking to set myself up with a personal wiki / file server to keep all my apps/code on. MySQL/PHP is a must, and Linux hosting is a big plus. Not sure about this Virtual Hosting, we support Sharepoint (lol) on VM and it's awfully slow.

Any contributions would be really appreciated! Thanks!

gazj
December 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM
i have a webserver running, which you are more than welcome to have some free space on if you wish. Although i'm not using php or mysql i can soon implement them if you wish.

matthew
December 12th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Generous offer, Gaz! You rock.

pedro, if you don't find anything else you like, you can click the Site5 link in my signature (right after the "my blog" link). I've been happy with their hosting for the personal and business sites I run.

pedro_orange
December 12th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks Gazj really nice offer, must be in the festive spirit! But I'd rather host it with a company so I can ring em & have a go when my site goes down (I'd never do that to you & ur Red Dw0rf avatar!)
Plus I'd be tinkering around on it all the time and using up all your bandwidth :P

Site5 looks cheap as chips. What's the catch? Ah, they're American! They won't take my lame English Maestro Switch card.

Thanks for your input guys :)

timcredible
December 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM
there are lots of hosting companies that charge $6/month for 300gb of storage and tons of opensource products you can install with one click. i use hostmonster.com, works well, and i installed joomla with a couple of clicks. they have mysql, myphp, email, cpanel, etc. but they all have those things.

23meg
December 12th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Dreamhost is pretty good. They don't have the best uptime of all, but unless you really need the best uptime of all, that's not a concern. They have a very neat and unique control interface, shell access, lots of one-click installs and a suggestion system where customers vote for new features. They're also employee owned and take care to minimize their environmental impact, if you care about these things. Their pricing is competent too, especially if you can find a discount code, which can as much as halve the total cost.

akiratheoni
December 12th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Dreamhost is pretty good. They don't have the best uptime of all, but unless you really need the best uptime of all, that's not a concern. They have a very neat and unique control interface, shell access, lots of one-click installs and a suggestion system where customers vote for new features. They're also employee owned and take care to minimize their environmental impact, if you care about these things. Their pricing is competent too, especially if you can find a discount code, which can as much as halve the total cost.

Agreed. I use Dreamhost and their uptime is worse than my previous host but they are very cheap and their discussion forum is very helpful, like this one :)

gazj
December 12th, 2007, 08:57 PM
No your right, if it went down (which it hasn't yet in a year or so) i wouldn't want to be moaned at, lol. But if you don't need gauranteed 100% uptime your welcome.

My domain name registrar does hosting they don't seem to bad

http://www.telivo.com/web-hosting.html

Boys of the Dwarf :)

gn2
December 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
. I don't want to setup a home Webserver cause I am an eco-warrior & like to save electricity!

Have you considered a Linksys NSLU2? it has very low power consumption and can be made to run as a web server.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2

pedro_orange
December 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all your advice guys;

Just for informative purposes I have gone for a London based Web Hosting company that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Gn2 - I was actually looking at those Network storage devices a few weeks ago as an alternative to a External Hard drive but decided against it cause I didn't want my random housemates being able to see my files! When I get my own place I think network storage will be the way to go!

Thanks again

ctyc
December 13th, 2007, 06:08 PM
http://www.webfaction.com/ is located in the UK and is good.

tc101
January 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Yahoo web hosting offers unlimited disk space for $11.95/month.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/hostingfeatures.php

I am going to create a family history web site that will contain
family tree, family history, and eventually a huge number of photos.

I want it to be with a stable web hosting service so that many years
from now it will still be there for family members and not need to be
moved as long as someone keeps paying the bill.

I want great backup procedures so that the thousands of family photos
put there by dozens of people will have a very low probability of ever
being lost.

I want lots of space for all the pictures at a reasonable price.

Yahoo web hosting offers unlimited disk space for $11.95/month. Does
that seem like a good choice for my needs?

samb0057
January 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I can provide free hosting for Ubuntu or Linux related sites. Hosting includes CPanel, PHP 4 + 5, MySQL, unlimited emails, databases, etc.

I have a few linux related domains i can give a free subdomain for, or you can provide your own domain.