PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight (2008)

Locutux
December 12th, 2007, 11:07 AM
The new Batman movie, directed by Christopher Nolan, starring Christian Bale as Batman. A sequel to Batman Begins, which I didn't liked.

I prefer the Tim Burton's "Batman" & "Batman Returns" with Michael Keaton as Batman.

What are your expectations from this movie?

subs
December 12th, 2007, 11:14 AM
The new Batman movie, directed by Christopher Nolan, starring Christian Bale as Batman. A sequel to Batman Begins, which I didn't liked.

I prefer the Tim Burton's "Batman" & "Batman Returns" with Michael Keaton as Batman.

i concur.... batman begins was not as good as its predecessors.... or perhaps i have just grown out of the batman theme....lmao

frm what i heard the special effects and stuff are dammn gud in the new one.... lets wait and watch

sloggerkhan
December 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Personally, I thought Batman Begins was the best Batman movie ever.

Locutux
December 12th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I don't know. Maybe because I grew up with Keaton as Batman, I admire only him. I didn't liked Kilmer and Clooney, although they're great actors.

Also, "The Dark Knight" has The Joker. Jack Nicholson was great as The Joker in "Batman".

But, the pictures (http://waitingforthedarkknight.blogspot.com/2007/12/joker-promo-photos.html) of Heath Ledger as The Joker are promising.

rax_m
December 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I also think "Batman begins" was the best batman movie ever made.. though the original with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson was pretty good too.

I was hoping for a new / different villain in the new movie though.. (yeah I know the joker is batman's main nemesis but something different would've been good too) :)

Tom Mann
December 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I don't know. Maybe because I grew up with Keaton as Batman, I admire only him. I didn't liked Kilmer and Clooney, although they're great actors.

Also, "The Dark Knight" has The Joker. Jack Nicholson was great as The Joker in "Batman".

But, the pictures (http://waitingforthedarkknight.blogspot.com/2007/12/joker-promo-photos.html) of Heath Ledger as The Joker are promising.

+1

Locutux
December 12th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'm sure they will bring back The Penguin for the next movie! :lolflag:

sloggerkhan
December 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I hope not. I've never been much of a penguin fan.

Locutux
December 12th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Harvey Dent (Two-Face) is in "The Dark Knight". Probably he will became Two-Face at the end of the movie. There's the next villian. :)

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I liked Batman begins, it was perhaps the best batman movie since mask of the phantasm

Tristam Green
December 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM

+1

I always felt that Keaton made a great Bruce Wayne, but for me...was far too unbelievable as Batman. Jack Nicholson made the Joker what he is today; pure and simple. However, I can absolutely see where Heath Ledger will channel that, and while not improving on it, definitely give it a new spin.

And yes, I'm fairly certain that Harvey Dent will be the next villain, and if I may say so, as much as I love Tommy Lee Jones and Billy Dee Williams, Aaron Eckhart is going to be a MUCH more believable Dent. Why? Because Harvey Dent is supposed to be a fairly attractive man, with a pseudo-vain streak to him...it's why the scarring messes him up so much.

Locutux
December 12th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I agree about the Joker/Harvey Dent thing with Tristam Green.

Anyway, it's unbelievable how Ledger looks great as The Joker. But, personally, I think Bale didn't made a good Bruce Wayne.

Also, Michael Cane will never be Michael Gough.

Did anyone saw the teaser poster? (http://waitingforthedarkknight.blogspot.com/2007/12/offical-dark-knight-teaser-poster.html)

grim192
December 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM
i thought batman begins was the best so far but i'm a fan of christian bale :)

HD trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thedarkknight/hd/)

grim

vishzilla
December 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM
+1

Heath Ledger does look good (I mean bad ;) )

i thought batman begins was the best so far but i'm a fan of christian bale :)

HD trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thedarkknight/hd/)

grim
me too a fan of Christian Bale

n3tfury
December 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Batman Begins is the best of the bunch for me. the previous iterations were garbage.

n3tfury
December 12th, 2007, 12:52 PM
and Andrew Koenig from the short film Batman: Dead End looked like a better joker than how they made up Ledger.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/700/700049/ignff-mailbag-4406-20060404022324533.jpg

Locutux
December 12th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Whoa, many Batman Begins fans. :)

Few of the reasons I didn't liked was the costume, the bat-mobile and Bale. Alright, I know it's THE beginning, but they could make some better costume, not a costume with funny ears. :)

n3tfury
December 12th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Whoa, many Batman Begins fans. :)

Few of the reasons I didn't liked was the costume, the bat-mobile and Bale. Alright, I know it's THE beginning, but they could make some better costume, not a costume with funny ears. :)

i'm not a big comic fan, but from what i hear, the elongated ears were from the early comics. i like that better.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Batman227.jpg

Locutux
December 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah. But the Adam West costume from the series is also from the early comics. :)

n3tfury
December 12th, 2007, 01:03 PM
like i said, i like the overall dark look and feel of the latest film. that's how it should be instead of the outrageously colorful previous films. and that one with Schwartzenegger in it? rofl, pathetic.

Locutux
December 12th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Haha. Yeah, "Batman & Robin" sucked. :D

Antman
December 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM

The Tim Burton series of Batman films was too comical and corny IMHO.

The Batman Begins movie and the Dark Knight movie are both trying to bring Batman back to its dark roots. I think it will be a welcome change.

daynah
December 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM
(deleted)

forrestcupp
December 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Lol. I grew up with Adam West as Batman. So Keaton, Kilmer, and Clooney were all garbage to me.

I actually thought Christian Bale made the best Batman. He reminded me the most of Adam West. Out of all the modern Batmen, Christian Bale is the one that is the least wimpy. Also, Batman Begins was the only one that wasn't goofy. I thought Batman Begins is one of the best movies I've seen.

About the new movie. I heard that they were going to film a scene of Batman swimming in the Hong Kong bay. They had to cancel the scene because when they tested the water, it was full of salmonella and other diseases.

hanzomon4
December 12th, 2007, 03:56 PM
like i said, i like the overall dark look and feel of the latest film. that's how it should be instead of the outrageously colorful previous films. and that one with Schwartzenegger in it? rofl, pathetic.

+∞

I loved the first and second Batman but all the others sucked booty, that is until Batman Begins. It was the best batman I have ever seen. I loved the dark, brooding nature of Batman in Begins. In Begins Batman actually seemed dangerous and at times psychotic. That's how Batman should be imo...

daynah
December 12th, 2007, 04:10 PM
...none of you read comics?

n3tfury
December 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
not me.

sloggerkhan
December 12th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I read some comics. However, I have only read a few batman stories (like Arkham Asylum, I think, and the Dark Knight returns). Generally, I like the Sandman, Preacher, Watchmen, that kind of stuff. I have a friend who made me read an Ultimates an ultimates arc, which I wasn't so huge on, though he also got me to read this, which was somewhat amusing and much better than I'd expected: http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53011&stc=1&d=1197481161
oops, this link: http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Ultimate-Collection-Vol-1/dp/158240500X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b
Oh, I and I think the original Spirit is pretty cool.

DirtDawg
December 12th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I liked Batman begins, it was perhaps the best batman movie since mask of the phantasm

Yay, someone else who appreciates Mask of the Phantasm! Sans a couple of really, really corny parts, that movie is exceptional. And Mark Hamill (of Luke Skywalker fame) plays Joker perfectly.

But in the theatre release, near the end when the Joker says, "...you'll kill us both", Batman said, "That's the idea." On the home video release, Batman responds, "Whatever it takes." Lame! (Glad to get that off my chest ;D )

sanderella
December 12th, 2007, 09:17 PM

I think Michael Keaton is the best Batman :KS

rune0077
December 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM
...none of you read comics?

Hell yeah. You're right, if people think comics are just for kids, it's because they've never read Watchmen or Maus or The Dark Knight Returns (the last by Frank Miller and probably what the new movie is based on). Maus even won a friggin Pulitzer for crying out loud. I've read plenty of so-called "real" literature, even the big ones like Delilo, Pynchon and Auster, and to me, Watchmen is still easily as much literature as any of those (not saying it's better, just saying it deserves to be in that category).

Lostincyberspace
December 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM
The 70's era comics had a college reading level to them.

quinnten83
December 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM
and Andrew Koenig from the short film Batman: Dead End looked like a better joker than how they made up Ledger.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/700/700049/ignff-mailbag-4406-20060404022324533.jpg

absolutely,
he looks like the joker from batman the animated series, IMHO the best portrayal of batman and or itś villains in moving media.

Sunflower1970
December 12th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I'm quite excited about this new movie. I loved Batman Begins and really hope the second one is as good.

I also loved Tim Burton's two Batman movies, but it's always interesting to see how a new generation envisions this masked hero.

Locutux
December 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
The new poster (http://waitingforthedarkknight.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-international-one-sheet.html).

Spike-X
December 15th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Hell yeah. You're right, if people think comics are just for kids, it's because they've never read Watchmen or Maus or The Dark Knight Returns (the last by Frank Miller and probably what the new movie is based on).

Not so much. The Dark Knight Returns was basically the final showdown between Batman and the Joker. The new movie shows them meeting for the first time.

A lot of the feel of Batman Begins, along with some plot elements (Batman attracting the swarm of bats with sonar, for example) were taken from Miller's Batman: Year One story.

sloggerkhan
December 15th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I just realized I had posted the wrong link earlier. Oops!

Locutux
December 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Two more posters. (http://waitingforthedarkknight.blogspot.com/2007/12/two-more-posters.html) These Jokers posters are great.

rune0077
December 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Not so much. The Dark Knight Returns was basically the final showdown between Batman and the Joker. The new movie shows them meeting for the first time.

A lot of the feel of Batman Begins, along with some plot elements (Batman attracting the swarm of bats with sonar, for example) were taken from Miller's Batman: Year One story.

The Dark Knight Returns was more the final showdown between Batman and Superman, DC's ultimate bad boy vs. their ultimate boyscout, which I always considered the essences of the story.

Didn't know about the plot of the movie. Sounds cool though.

sloggerkhan
December 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM
The Dark Knight Returns was a batman vs. superman story, but it wasn't an obvious surface level story for most of the comic. And joker did die.

toupeiro
December 18th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I thought Batman Begins was a great batman movie, probably even better than the Keaton batman, but nobody can ever do a better Joker than Jack Nicholson imo.

DirtDawg
December 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I thought Batman Begins was a great batman movie, probably even better than the Keaton batman, but nobody can ever do a better Joker than Jack Nicholson imo.

I read recently that Nicholson was not interested in the part until he found out they might offer it to Robin Williams. I actually think Robin Williams would have made a perfect Joker. Maybe (IMO probably) better than Nicholson!

toupeiro
December 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I read recently that Nicholson was not interested in the part until he found out they might offer it to Robin Williams. I actually think Robin Williams would have made a perfect Joker. Maybe (IMO probably) better than Nicholson!

Well, I guess what sells me about Jack Nicholson is that when I saw it, I felt like I was watching the Joker, not another role played by Jack Nicholson. Thats why he was perfect for it. When I see a movie with Robin Williams, I see just that. A movie Starring Robin Williams. Robin Williams doesn't usually get into character, the character is usually replaced by Robin Williams. Robin WIlliams was never in any Batman Comics I read, but if I saw him act out the joker, thats probably how it would come off as to me.

DirtDawg
December 18th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Well, I guess what sells me about Jack Nicholson is that when I saw it, I felt like I was watching the Joker, not another role played by Jack Nicholson. Thats why he was perfect for it. When I see a movie with Robin Williams, I see just that. A movie Starring Robin Williams. Robin Williams doesn't usually get into character, the character is usually replaced by Robin Williams. Robin WIlliams was never in any Batman Comics I read, but if I saw him act out the joker, thats probably how it would come off as to me.

Considering the Joker's "just barely with it" style of lunacy, I think Williams' unpredictability would have been ideal.

But Nicholson is definitely the better actor. And Robin Williams can be damned annoying. I grant you both these points.

Okay, so maybe it's not such a good idea :)

Erdaron
December 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I disagree about Robin Williams, I think he is a brilliant actor who regrettably does a lot of sub-par movies. He is able to channel characters like few other actors today. He was phenomenal in Death to Smoochie. And he was truly disturbing in One Hour Photo - quite a feat for a traditionally goofy comic actor.

By I digress.

Dark Knight will be awesome. I sleep more soundly every night because I know it brings me closer to its release. Batman Begins, imho, was the first movie to get Batman right. The others were too cartoonish. They were much closer to Adam West's *KA-POW* guy in tights than to Miller's dark, psychotic, tortured warrior.

Jack Nicholson was fantastic, yes, but his performance was drowned out by the clownish makeup and silly props of the rest of the movie.

Spike-X
December 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
New trailer. (http://atasteforthetheatrical.com/deathtrap/default.htm)

Jack who?

Malcolm
December 18th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I didn't like Batman Begins so much either. Not that it was bad... but I really liked Burton's two movies better, the first in particular is a masterpiece. However, Batman Begins is still better than the two movies directed by Joel Schumacher, so maybe the new one will be good.

Michael Keaton is the best Batman ever because he didn't portray the hero as invincible: he's not particularly strong, he has several psychological weaknesses, his mood is often dark, he makes some mistakes. I think this was Burton's idea for Batman, and the gothic buildings of Gotham City made that movie perfect. Jack Nicholson looks like he was born to be the Joker. Competing with that will always be very hard.

Edit: I almost forgot, Danny Elfman's soundtrack is one of the best ever!

hanzomon4
December 18th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I didn't like Batman Begins so much either. Not that it was bad... but I really liked Burton's two movies better, the first in particular is a masterpiece. However, Batman Begins is still better than the two movies directed by Joel Schumacher, so maybe the new one will be good.

Michael Keaton is the best Batman ever because he didn't portray the hero as invincible: he's not particularly strong, he has several psychological weaknesses, his mood is often dark, he makes some mistakes. I think this was Burton's idea for Batman, and the gothic buildings of Gotham City made that movie perfect. Jack Nicholson looks like he was born to be the Joker. Competing with that will always be very hard.

I too feel like the first movie is a masterpiece.

graabein
December 18th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I sure hope they find a grown woman to play Batman's love interest cause that Katie Holmes was just way too young to pass as believable.

hanzomon4
December 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I sure hope they find a grown woman to play Batman's love interest cause that Katie Holmes was just way too young to pass as believable.

She was so cute before she hit cruise control and lost her mind to Scientology, damn waste;

Tristam Green
December 18th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Concur. I saw the trailer for the first time last night, and I will say it now, consequences be damned.

Heath Ledger will make an incredible Joker. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone look that psychotic since De Niro in "Cape Fear". Completely amazing.

Spike-X
December 18th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Maggie Gyllenhall (sp?) is playing Katie Holmes' character in The Dark Knight.

andhar
December 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I actually like the direction the batman movies are headed.. They are now darker and fit the times better than before.
They are headed in much the same direction as the last James Bond film which is a breath of life to an old franchise.

Bannor
December 18th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I thought batman begins was the best of the lot followed by Keaton as batman

by the end of the first run of movies they began to resemble the TV show

batman begins brought depth back to the story

tech9
December 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM

Hey!

I think Christian Bale is a good actor.

Locutux
December 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Ledger's Joker is gonna be great. The trailer (http://waitingforthedarkknight.blogspot.com/2007/12/dark-knight-new-trailer.html) is promising.

DirtDawg
December 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Ledger's Joker is gonna be great. The trailer (http://waitingforthedarkknight.blogspot.com/2007/12/dark-knight-new-trailer.html) is promising.

That link has already been canned! The video clip is "no longer available".

forrestcupp
December 24th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=tkT1wdRePco) is a link for the trailer at YouTube that works. I have to say I'm disappointed. The Joker looks pitiful. It's just Heath Ledger with a painted face. He looks like Marilyn Manson or something. That's not the Joker.

Locutux
April 4th, 2008, 02:36 PM
New photos from The Joker (http://waitingforthedarkknight.blogspot.com/2008/04/new-photos.html)