PDA

View Full Version : has anyone here tried OpenSUSE?

Sushi
September 9th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I dowloaded the ISO's of RC1 yesterday (god I love broadband! All five downloading simultaneously at 150KB/sec each!) and though of giving it a sping this weekend. This would in a way be "return to roots" thing for me, since SuSE was the very first distro I used :).

My question is: have you tested it yet? I know that we are Ubuntu-users around here, but there's no harm in trying other things out :). So how was it? They seem to be having a good thing going, and the early reviews have been very favourable.

Magadass
September 9th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I dowloaded the ISO's of RC1 yesterday (god I love broadband! All five downloading simultaneously at 150KB/sec each!) and though of giving it a sping this weekend. This would in a way be "return to roots" thing for me, since SuSE was the very first distro I used :).

My question is: have you tested it yet? I know that we are Ubuntu-users around here, but there's no harm in trying other things out :). So how was it? They seem to be having a good thing going, and the early reviews have been very favourable.

I tried Beta 4, was ok...The user community really sucks and I am totally lost when it comes to Yast so I felt really alone in the whole ordeal when i came to getting help and getting pointed in the right direction...

I have to say Ubuntu has the best user community ever, alot of the reason I like Ubuntu as much as I do is I can get help in about 5 minutes, pretty much any question I ask... OpenSuse is impressive as hell, once they get all the kinds worked out it will be amazing and I may make it my Second Linux distro on my Laptop which currently has Fedora Core 4....

I guess my question is, OpenSuse uses RPM's? I didnt know it was based off of RedHat, does Yast work like apt-get? These things confuse me, or does it use yum like on Fedora... I think yum is the worst piece of crap to ever exist, its such a horrible package managment solution...very very slow and doesnt work well at all...

foxy123
September 9th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I tried Beta 4, was ok...The user community really sucks and I am totally lost when it comes to Yast so I felt really alone in the whole ordeal when i came to getting help and getting pointed in the right direction...

I have to say Ubuntu has the best user community ever, alot of the reason I like Ubuntu as much as I do is I can get help in about 5 minutes, pretty much any question I ask... OpenSuse is impressive as hell, once they get all the kinds worked out it will be amazing and I may make it my Second Linux distro on my Laptop which currently has FedoraSh*t Core 4....

I guess my question is, OpenSuse uses RPM's? I didnt know it was based off of RedHat, does Yast work like apt-get? These things confuse me, or does it use yum like on Fedora... I think yum is the worst piece of crap to ever exist, its such a horrible package managment solution...very very slow and doesnt work well at all...
if you need a better support for SuSE, you should use a newsgroup... I do not remember its name (the one in English) but it is really helpful...

N8MAN1068
September 9th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Yast is not like apt-get. Yast sucks.
There is a way to get APT for Suse 9.3 Pro, not sure if it'd be the same for OpenSuse. Either way, it broke for me after an update and I could never get it working.
Suse was ok. I think it's one of those distros that are good if you only need what Suse provides on the cd's (which is a pain to install and add new programs. Insert CD3, now CD 5, Now CD1, etc), but since it's RPM, you get stuck in dependcy limbo.

I think Suse desktop looks like someone designed it while on acid after watching mickey-mouse club, I'm all for eye-candy, but it just looks cartoony.

It's very hard for me to try any distro not Debian based, because of the hassle of installing rpm packages. I may try Mepis next.

lao_V
September 9th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Its on my list as one of the distros to try. But, I'm not expecting too much from it.

Knome_fan
September 9th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Yast is not like apt-get. Yast sucks.

Indeed, it isn't like apt at all. It's more like apt + gnome system tools + at least a dozen config tools Ubuntu lacks.

There is a way to get APT for Suse 9.3 Pro, not sure if it'd be the same for OpenSuse. Either way, it broke for me after an update and I could never get it working.
Suse was ok. I think it's one of those distros that are good if you only need what Suse provides on the cd's (which is a pain to install and add new programs. Insert CD3, now CD 5, Now CD1, etc), but since it's RPM, you get stuck in dependcy limbo.

Strange, never happened to me, though I managed to get into one in Ubuntu.

It's very hard for me to try any distro not Debian based, because of the hassle of installing rpm packages. I may try Mepis next.
Yes, it's terrible, you are eigher forced to use yast, in which case you have a graphic tool that let's you select the program you want and then installs it and its dependencies, or you are forced to use apt on Suse with does essentially the same thing.
On top of that Suse even makes it possible to simply click on a Suse rpm you downloaded and install it together with its dependencies, now ain't that terrible...

Sushi
September 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Insert CD3, now CD 5, Now CD1, etc), but since it's RPM, you get stuck in dependcy limbo..

Dependency-hell is not due to RPM. It's due to the simple fact that deb.-based distros (Debian) used centralised repositories for installing apps, whereas RPM-based distros (Red Hat, SUSE...) did not. But that wasn't really due to the packaging-format, it was merely a different approach to the task. Once RPM-based distros moved to central repositories, dependancy-hell basically disappeared.

foxy123
September 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I used SuSE 9.2 with apt4rpm and it worked ok... YaST is more used for security updates rather than for package management...you can put there packman and other sources, but apt4rpm provides a better selection as I remember...

YaST is a great configuration tool though. It is very easy to use and it provides a lot of options. However, some people prefer a text editor, which is even easier and faster if you know what to edit and how...

Overall SuSE seemed a bit bloated to me, on the slower side comparing to Ubuntu...

codejunkie
September 9th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Indeed, it isn't like apt at all. It's more like apt + gnome system tools + at least a dozen config tools Ubuntu lacks.

Strange, never happened to me, though I managed to get into one in Ubuntu.

Yes, it's terrible, you are eigher forced to use yast, in which case you have a graphic tool that let's you select the program you want and then installs it and its dependencies, or you are forced to use apt on Suse with does essentially the same thing.
On top of that Suse even makes it possible to simply click on a Suse rpm you downloaded and install it together with its dependencies, now ain't that terrible...
i liked suse but using rpm's did suck in version 9.1 and earlier when i used it even when you tried to install a simple piece of software even through yast you got the
the package that you are trying to install is missing one or more dependicies you must install them first and when installing the dependicies same error and again same error, if they have gotten rid of the rpm hell suse would be an awsome distro so my question to Knome_fan is have you've used OpenSuse and have they done away with rpm hell?

Knome_fan
September 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM
i liked suse but using rpm's did suck in version 9.1 and earlier when i used it even when you tried to install a simple piece of software even through yast you got the and when installing the dependicies same error and again same error, if they have gotten rid of the rpm hell suse would be an awsome distro so my question to Knome_fan is have you've used OpenSuse and have they done away with rpm hell?

As sushi already mentioned this is not an rpm problem, but a problems that occurs when not using repositories. You will run into the very same problem if you try to install .deb packages by hand.

For example, packman provides some multimedia stuff for Suse. Now you can go to their site and download the rpm you want and you will run into trouble as it probably depends on other packages packman provides. Now if you simply add packman as a repository all problems will be gone.
The same thing will happen to you if you download stuff from backports, that depends on other packages from backports but you don't have the backports repos enabled. You will run into the exact same problems.

To answer your question, no, I haven't tried opensuse yet, but I will certainly give it a try once the final release is out. The last version of Suse I played around with was 9.3 and I used several releases on and off for some time now and never ran into the problems you describe, as I simply added the repositories I needed.

Finally, if you are interested, take a look here for extra repositories for opensuse:
http://www.opensuse.org/YaST_package_repository

drizek
September 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM
ya, yast was kinda confusing to set up, but it works very well and i really like it. opensuse as a whole just feels more polished and refined than ubuntu. it really does feel like using a commercial OS rather than mommas-basement linux. as for the community, you can always ask for help here or on other linux fourms like linuxquestions.org. for me though, ive never had any experience with the suse community because ive never had any problems.

poofyhairguy
September 9th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Finally, if you are interested, take a look here for extra repositories for opensuse:
http://www.opensuse.org/YaST_package_repository

Thats pretty cool.

JELaVallee
September 9th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I've used Suse Pro 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3 on my desktop systems and my IBM ThinkPad T43. As was the case in the 8.x strain, odd-numbered dot-releases always seem to blow. I really liked 9.2 Pro on my notebook and would have stuck with it had I not had some serious issues following a kernel rebuild tweak that made the system go totally unstable. The upside being that I took that as an opportunity to give Hoary a shot and well... I'm hooked on Ubuntu now. :smile:

YaST was a mixed bag for me... Most of the configuration tools felt like they were only partially functional or were so convoluted from a UI stand point that I got frustrated with just opening them up (switching wireless SSID's was hell on the notebook system). As far as its package management features, I found that worked very nicely, but it didn't have nearly the ease-of-use or available packages that I've found in the deb/apt Debian repository realm. Synaptic just makes me so happy and when I'm feeling really saucy I get the warm fuzzies from apt-get and dpkg that I never seemed to feel for rpm.

Just my own feeling/experience/preference. No flamebait here...

Okay... Gnome is better than KDE!... there!

No, strike that... reverse it... HA!

cheers,
Etienne

somuchfortheafter
September 9th, 2005, 08:46 PM
hmm i tried it, and after using nearly every distro on the earth i must say i abhore the very existance of beta 4. It didnt even configure my monitor right nor would yast let me. It could not handle my wifi drivers, everything was a in a different spot, it was slower. The Gnome desktop enviroment sucked on it and well i feel more at home on a debian based distro anyway.

truoc444
September 9th, 2005, 10:37 PM
i ran OpenSUSE 9.3 both on my laptop and desktop. it was pretty easy and straight forward, but it just really slowed down my PIII. might have been some configuration i did but i never could figure out what. Ubuntu runs great on my laptop though. Suse had an easier WIFI manager than Ubuntu. i could actually get it to scan for networks and connect to more than the one i manually configured. i'm actually looking for an ap for Ubuntu that will do something similar i hope breezy fixes it. other than that i prefer Ubuntu over Suse personally but it's always a personal choice with any linux distro. typically people like whichever one was the first they got to completely work.

KiwiNZ
September 9th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I am currently using 9.3 I will most certainly try 10 but not until final release . Suse is my main machine .
My test machine has Ubuntu on it

najames
September 10th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Let's try this AGAIN!! I went to the Suse homepage with Ubuntu and it totally borked my computer. The video goes spastic in Ubuntu. First the display is all garbage, then it turns white. When you move the mouse it will "uncover" icons to let you reboot. Grrrr.

There is a performance version called Super Suse 10 you might want to play with. It is a ONE CD download. Neat green high res Chameleon wallpaper and it indeed seemed fast. Perhaps limited apps for this version, not totally sure though.

I glanced at it very briefly because I am searching for a pretty & stable distro for my wife to get her off the WinBlows merry-go-round. I thought Ubuntu was it (with some nice wallpaper), but am getting bit by a **lot** of these little gotchas. CD locked last night and I couldn't use any commands or GUI to eject it until I rebooted. I have streamtuner/ripper set up with XMMS working good, Thunderbird email with Outlook Express stuff moved over, everything seemed good and now video problems. Whaaaaaaaa! Where is that Mepis disk?

drizek
September 10th, 2005, 04:24 AM
super is cool, but its not for "the wife".

that 1-cd iso is not super but actually just a cutdown regular suse. they will make an optimized cd once suse goes final. the one they have there is made so that you can optimize it yourself according to their guide.

but the regular 5-cd suse is awesome, better than mepis for a beginner IMO.

BTW, suse is the first distro where kat works correctly. i like kat much more than beagle cause of the kde integration and all that, but i could never get any ubuntu packages. the sid ones were not compatible.

JELaVallee
September 10th, 2005, 04:47 AM
...i could actually get it to scan for networks and connect to more than the one i manually configured. i'm actually looking for an ap for Ubuntu that will do something similar i hope breezy fixes it...

What you want is the 'Wireless Connection Manager" gnome panel applet... look for "gtkwifi" in Synaptic. It works great for me for moving between wireless networks at work, home and on the road.

cheers,
Etienne

najames
September 10th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Ok Drizek, I might just have to try a full Suse version. I bought 7.3 and haven't used it since then for some reason, dunno why. What version are you recommending 9.3 or 10? Aside from Gentoo, which I am not fond of, the only thing I haven't looked at it seems is Suse and Fedora (used Redhat/Fedora a lot in the past & still have Fedora Core3 a PIII Samba server buried here somewhere), I was thinking something "slimmer" that I could easily add to would be better for her perhaps. She could easily get to shares on the WinXP box I have set up with Ubuntu, hopefully easy with Suse too.

Video fixed. I found that if I change the logon session and changed to "default" instead of "last" my video corruption finally stopped and I could got to suse.com. I also got a link for Super Suse. I have NO idea how the video got borked in the first place.

http://www.opensuse.org/SUPER

Edit: I don't know. I didn't do a single thing (except name the machine and workgroup) and the Mepis box has set up a Samba share that I can see with this Ubuntu box. Pretty darn easy for me at least!!

drizek
September 10th, 2005, 05:32 AM
that video borking problem is something wrong with the video card driver in ubuntu(ten bucks says you have an nvidia card).

suse 10 is probably your best bet. the default kde install is pretty slim, but you can always manually configure the packages you want in the installer so its not a big deal.

the thing about suse is that it has a GUI for everything and i just noticed that there is a network browser icon right on the desktop. it should be a snap to configure all of that.

and id have to say that it is also the best looking KDE distro out of the box. ubuntu is probably the best looking gnome distro, but i find kubuntu sorta windows-xpish and not very appealing. of course, its all configurable.

najames
September 10th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Hey you're fast drizek!! Yup, yup Nvidia, uhhh 6600 in this one. It worked fine for a while, I likely updated the apps though and installed something buggy. Default setting has made it happy for now.

Slim is good, I like to get the basics and add what I want. Good browser, email, DVD/CD burning tools, single text editor, file manager. etc. Then add streamtuner/ripper which requires XMMS as I recall, then keep building on. I want to try NeroLinux. I have it here somewhere.

I need easy access to the other zillion PCs here **sigh** and Mepis did it by default. From Ubuntu > places, workgroup, machinename, home dir. Hope Suse's icon is that easy.

I must admit I'll have to dust off the yum brain cells, synaptic and apt-get itis has set in my brain and I'm getting old.

The Suse10 torrent is chugging!! I must admit that Mepis is looking good, if the menus were just better laid out....it seems to have everything needed and more. I can always uninstall too.

drizek
September 10th, 2005, 06:48 AM
nerolinux is pretty crappy compared to k3b, i wouldnt even bother with it.

and yast has a GUI for all package management which is pretty easy to use. its a little slower than apt/synaptic as far as refreshing the package list, but its not too bad.

as for the slimness, it basically has everything 90% of people are going to need by defualt. if you are really anal about it you can deselct some of the apps you dont want, but its not nearly as bad as something like mepis. its about the same as ubuntu by default, but there is a reason why ubuntu only comes on 1 cd and suse has 5. there is a TON of available software on em, pretty much everything you could ever want.

najames
September 10th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Quick question Drizek. Are you using any 64bit stuff? I have a bunch of AMD64s and a new dually Opteron here at home. The Opteron is next after the wife setup. The 64bit Ubuntu I tried was ok for me, but lacks "apps" by default for stuff like flash and others it seemed. These would be nice, I'm getting 64bit so I'll find out.

drizek
September 10th, 2005, 07:32 AM
nope(but if you want to send me a 64bit system to try out ill be glad to test it out for ya :)). flash is not an opensource app, which is why it is not avaialble. i dont know much about it, but if it doesnt work in ubuntu, there is a very good chance it wont work in suse either. however, suse does have a lot of 64bit packages, and you can always still jsut use the i386 ones.

j_baer
September 10th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I gave it a try yesterday and wow ...

Lastest kernel, beagle out of the box, banshee out of the box, and much more ...

I also tried SUPER Suse but I didn't see any speed improvement under Gnome{?}

YaST, APT, YUM, I don't much care as long as I can get the packages I want.

Good luck ...

Sushi
September 10th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Well, I have installed it now on my test-laptop. I had some problems with corrputed ISO's, so the installation wasn't 100% smooth (but I'm not sure that can you blame SUSE for that). It had some problems getting my PCMCIA-ethernet to work. I worked on it for 5 minutes, and I then decided to test my WLAN-card instead (which will be the thing I will be using the computer with).

Now, that WLAN-card is know to work on Linux. For reference, Ubuntu's installation-instructions are here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com//Rt2500WirelessCardsHowTo). How did it work in SUSE? I plugged it in, and it worked straight away. 100% hassle-free installation. I'm not kidding, I saw the light light up on the card, and I said out loud "you have gotta be f*cking kidding me!".

Every single time I have added a NIC or something to the system, I have had to tweak/install something. This is the first time it Just Worked (tm). Well done SUSE!

Initial opinion is good :)

drizek
September 11th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I gave it a try yesterday and wow ...

Lastest kernel, beagle out of the box, banshee out of the box, and much more ...

I also tried SUPER Suse but I didn't see any speed improvement under Gnome{?}

YaST, APT, YUM, I don't much care as long as I can get the packages I want.

Good luck ...

like i said, the super cd is still just vanilla suse with less packages. they still havent made the prelinked i686 optimized iso yet. that one should be one of the fastest distros out there.

drizek
September 11th, 2005, 06:17 AM
the super optimizations are now part of SLICK http://www.opensuse.org/SLICK

the coolest feature of it is that it wont use either rpm's or debs for apps. its going to have an rpm base and then use autopackage for installing/removing apps. thats a really cool idea and i hope it actually pans out.

and it is also going to integrate klik http://www.opensuse.org/SUPER_KLIK

package management revolution?

GoA
September 11th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Wow, OpenSuse is amazing. But still, I'm currently downloading breezy RC. The on ly reason for this is the rpm/yast. I have get comfortable with apt and synaptic. I also noticed that I didn't found azureus, latest java or all multimedia apps through yast even I added extra repositories.

Suse had also problems with my lcd-displays refreshrate. It set it either 64 or 74 mhz which gave me problems because display was complaining about that. But other that that, just, WOW. It automatically installed nvidias drivers and newest kernel. The whole process was very easy (also in ubuntu), but it looked so much better that ubuntus. Also the loading part till user selection and after that the login phase was just beatiful compared to ubuntu.

know this is because ubuntu is a new and young distro and gaining fast the older ones. But the graphical side is one thing developers should take a big notice. Most of the users will select opensuse because the better graphics. I didn't use console for anything with suse.

Abd BTW, thank you god for adsl, downloaded breezy installer when typing this text. ;)

benplaut
September 11th, 2005, 08:10 AM
SUPER is something i'll definately try when it comes out... i sure hope they use initng (corrections?) :grin: ...that does wonders for boot time

they have some radical ideas, but i think their ideas for package management might work... work well.

if they're going that far, wouldn't it be theoretically possible to make it native apt-get? that, i'm afraid to say, would make me switch to SUPER, full time :oops:

a-nubi-s
September 11th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Does OpenSuse come with Textmaker like regular Suse? I've been wanting to try Textmaker. If it's in I'll probably give it a whirl.

benplaut
September 11th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Does OpenSuse come with Textmaker like regular Suse? I've been wanting to try Textmaker. If it's in I'll probably give it a whirl.

i tried it, it seems really ouit of date, and the theme looks horrible.

it's fast, but i still prefer Abiword :wink:

najames
September 12th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I downloaded SUSE 10 RC1 and installed it. Wife liked it, off to a good start.

I had some problems with Kmail, needed a ID/Password for receive but NOT send, doh!! Was getting authentication errors until I removed the send ID/Password. You've been warned.

I "mapped" shared WinXP and Samba drives so they were listed in the file manager, very nice.

Oddly, I didn't see Ktorrent on the menu list of programs but found it was installed, hmmm. At midnight I decided to be a good citizen and run Ktorrent and open up my ISOs for others to download, and KABOOM!!! No more KDE. Taps please. Something about "TTY error...disks (?) are now read only". NOW I know why they didn't put Ktorrent on the menus. Grrrr. The thing was **really** stable too until then.

Maybe its a Fedora Core 4 night tonight, already downloaded the DVD. Maybe its time I learn another programming language and start fixing bugs. Don't know if I can stand more programming besides work though.

Stormy Eyes
September 12th, 2005, 09:49 PM

Nah. I don't want to void my warranty (though upgrading to Breezy and switching to Blackbox instead of GNOME probably did just that.)

manicka
September 12th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I'm currently downloading the gnome only RC1 SUPER CD.

I'll be interested to see how it compares to a standard install of ubuntu

drizek
September 13th, 2005, 12:12 AM
download the normal set not the minimal one. it doesnt have yast and a bunch of other things.

Edit, nm, it does. the one from beta 3 didnt though. sorry about that. read the review at tuxmachines. also, this review is just of the basic minimal cd without super optimizations. after applying all the optimizations, it should be even faster. http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/2587

darkmatter
September 13th, 2005, 02:00 AM
RC1 is *A LOT* faster at boot than previous versions. I've been using SuSE as one of my distro's of choice from day one of my journey into freedom - the one thing I never liked was the slow boot time. RC1 goes a long way to fix this.

I also like the changes made to YaST and SaX2.

a-nubi-s
September 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks for that answer on Textmaker. I heard it had better .doc compatibility than OpenOffice or Abiword. That your documents converted better for someone without Linux to read and edit. That's why I was interested.

What about multimedia support? What's it like now? Does it come standard or do you have to add it in?

gflores
September 14th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Disappointed the final release won't be until October 6. Makes my decision of Ubuntu or Suse that much more difficult.

poofyhairguy
September 14th, 2005, 01:16 AM
I cheer for SUSE.

manicka
September 14th, 2005, 01:16 AM
I'm currently downloading the gnome only RC1 SUPER CD.

I'll be interested to see how it compares to a standard install of ubuntu
Comparison was poor. Monitor was not configured correctly and SUPER doesn't come sax2-gui by default and I couldn't install it off the disc. Added a couple of repos to Yast but that didn't solve the problem either. Fiddled witht he command line version of sax2 but was unsuccessful in changing the screen resolution to what I desired.
I think I'll give the 5 Cd version a go

manicka
September 14th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Beagle - SuSe really does this well.
It works, the control panel in gnome works, it autostarts without extra configuration, and is reliable.

feloc
October 6th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Has anyone tried out the final release yet?

foxy123
October 6th, 2005, 09:51 PM
it's out, isn't it? I am looking forward to d/l it and try on my test drive (wiping out Breezy)....

irish rebel
October 6th, 2005, 09:59 PM
If you are going to use YAST then go to www.linuxforum.com there is a good suse forum there where you can get ideas to add repositories to yast , I have a suse 9.0 box that has been on since Oct 29th 2003 all it does is serve my free mp3's and pdf files out 24/7 I have duel ups 6hr batteries to back it up , it has been fully kept up to date , I used to use Suse all the time but I found that its dependancy on KDE in which Konquerer crashes alot pissed me off , so I discovered ubuntu.
I cannot stand Nautilas so I use XFE as my file browser.

gflores
October 6th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Trying to download it but the servers are so busy. Only getting 35KB/sec. :(

foxy123
October 6th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Trying to download it but the servers are so busy. Only getting 35KB/sec. :(
what about BitTorrent?

tseliot
October 6th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Yes I have installed it on my laptop but I haven't had the time to use it very much (only some minutes) . It works fine, looks good but I have a problem with the fonts which (as reported by a warning message) can be displayed properly. It is like they have been compressed horizontally (they are clearly readable though).

It seems a nice distro (suitable also for newbies) and I will write something about it as soon as I can play more with it.

gflores
October 6th, 2005, 10:42 PM
what about BitTorrent?
Can't use it in school. :(

Speeds are picking up though, so it's all right.

manicka
October 6th, 2005, 11:44 PM

I'm just about to give the final SUPER candidate a spin. 1 CD install and apparently I can upgrade as needed from there through Yast. Sounds a bit like Ubuntu.

Will report back when done

mark
October 7th, 2005, 01:02 AM
I've got OpenSUSE 10.0 (Gnome only) running alongside my Ubuntus (5.04 & 5.10). I did an ftp install when it went RC and I've kept it updated.

It's...SUSE. Seems solid, reliable & useable. I've pretty much just been playing with it, though - spending most of my time beating on Breezy. One thing - the Open version lacks the "everything-right-out-of-the-box" advantage of the commercial version - which is fair.

If we didn't have Ubuntu, I would probably consider OpneSUSE - once I got past the RPMness of it all...

landotter
October 7th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Anyone know if they made a Live CD of it? I've only seen the DVD and there's no way I'm grabbing that on my slower DSL connection. Oh, and I don't have a DVD drive. :P

I'm curious too, I cut my teeth on 7.3, which ran great on an old 200mhz/128mb box. I bought it one night at Best Buy and stayed up all night installing it. I'd never installed an OS before--not even used Windows much before--and those manuals were fabulous, not to mention the groovy case stickers. I was sold. Then to the hinterlands of 'drake, Fedora, and Ubuntu a year ago.

There's no way I want to install it, as Breezy's just about the perfect OS for me.

BTW, you can use Synaptic and apt4rpm with it, which negates most of the negatives of rpm. It's slower than on a proper Debian system though.

tseliot
October 7th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Yes I have installed it on my laptop but I haven't had the time to use it very much (only some minutes) . It works fine, looks good but I have a problem with the fonts which (as reported by a warning message) can be displayed properly. It is like they have been compressed horizontally (they are clearly readable though).

It seems a nice distro (suitable also for newbies) and I will write something about it as soon as I can play more with it.
UPDATE: Last night I've tried to fix the problem with the fonts and changed the resolution (as suggested by Suse itself). I didn't find any other usable resolution so I switched back to my previous one. This morning I have turned the laptop on but xserver didn't start (it boots to the command line). I must admit that none of the commands I use in Ubuntu worked. Ok, I had a look at the forums and I found out that "sax2" was the command I needed. It didn't ask me a single thing and eventually said that xserver configuration had failed:confused: .

Perhaps I'm just too noob in Suse and I have to try harder.

tseliot
October 7th, 2005, 04:32 PM
UPDATE: Last night I've tried to fix the problem with the fonts and changed the resolution (as suggested by Suse itself). I didn't find any other usable resolution so I switched back to my previous one. This morning I have turned the laptop on but xserver didn't start (it boots to the command line). I must admit that none of the commands I use in Ubuntu worked. Ok, I had a look at the forums and I found out that "sax2" was the command I needed. It didn't ask me a single thing and eventually said that xserver configuration had failed:confused: .

Perhaps I'm just too noob in Suse and I have to try harder.
UPDATE: It was my fault. Suse works great and I should sleep more :p (damn mosquitos...)

drizek
October 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM
im running SLICK(SUPER) right now and it works fine. bootup time to full kde is 45 seconds. better than both vanilla suse and ubuntu. should be much faster once they put initing in there though. Also, SLICK has kynaptic/synaptic support built in(as well as YaST) and it includes all teh multimedia codecs and plays dvd/mp3 out of the box(dont you just love european distros?)

that said, it is still somewhat buggy. if you are looking for a stable system, try again in a couple weeks(or just use suse 10 final).

cowlip
October 9th, 2005, 03:11 AM
im running SLICK(SUPER) right now and it works fine. bootup time to full kde is 45 seconds. better than both vanilla suse and ubuntu. should be much faster once they put initing in there though. Also, SLICK has kynaptic/synaptic support built in(as well as YaST) and it includes all teh multimedia codecs and plays dvd/mp3 out of the box(dont you just love european distros?)

that said, it is still somewhat buggy. if you are looking for a stable system, try again in a couple weeks(or just use suse 10 final).
THis is sooo confusing. I followed the instructions here: http://www.opensuse.org/1_CD_install and downloaded ftp://opensuse.linux.co.nz/pub/SUPER/iso/super-openSUSE-final-20051003-standard-kde.iso

But I can't find synaptic and all that...can't install nano because apt won't find it...etc :( How do I install this "slick" thing?

manicka
October 9th, 2005, 03:16 AM
you can use apt from the command line as root.

You'lll find though that it won't be able to find packages as the mirrors haven't propegated the RPMS.base folders yet. Leave it a couple of days and see what happens.

'apt-get install synaptic' should see you in business once the mirrors are up and running properly.

drizek
October 9th, 2005, 05:13 AM
THis is sooo confusing. I followed the instructions here: http://www.opensuse.org/1_CD_install and downloaded ftp://opensuse.linux.co.nz/pub/SUPER/iso/super-openSUSE-final-20051003-standard-kde.iso

But I can't find synaptic and all that...can't install nano because apt won't find it...etc :( How do I install this "slick" thing?

you have to download another iso for slick. scroll down on the 1 cd download page, its near the bottom.

but again, it is still not final and contains a few bugs. if you are a linux noob or want a system that is definetly going to work, then you should just stick to the regular suse for now.

BTW, the iso you downloaded is the regular suse cd just with less packages. if you want to add more packages, you will have to add a suse 10 mirror to your yast sources. youre going to have to wait a couple days before you do that though cause hte suse mirrors are getting hammered to death right now.

cowlip
October 9th, 2005, 05:46 AM
you have to download another iso for slick. scroll down on the 1 cd download page, its near the bottom.

but again, it is still not final and contains a few bugs. if you are a linux noob or want a system that is definetly going to work, then you should just stick to the regular suse for now.

BTW, the iso you downloaded is the regular suse cd just with less packages. if you want to add more packages, you will have to add a suse 10 mirror to your yast sources. youre going to have to wait a couple days before you do that though cause hte suse mirrors are getting hammered to death right now.
i was so angry that i had to install another iso at first, but linux downloads fast so it only took 1/2 hour :) Thanks for the help you two, I just installed nano from klik (wow) with no problem

cowlip
October 9th, 2005, 05:52 AM
i was so angry that i had to install another iso at first, but linux downloads fast so it only took 1/2 hour :) Thanks for the help you two, I just installed nano from klik (wow) with no problem
Here's the site that made me want to try this after ubuntu. http://dot.kde.org/1126867980/ It talks about the utility of klik, which is great because it's very centralised. Just make sure you don't follow klik's link to openSUSE, make sure you download an iso that says "modified" :)

drizek
October 9th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Here's the site that made me want to try this after ubuntu. http://dot.kde.org/1126867980/ It talks about the utility of klik, which is great because it's very centralised. Just make sure you don't follow klik's link to openSUSE, make sure you download an iso that says "modified" :)

klik actually works on the regular suse as well. you just need to download the client for it the same way as you do on debian systems.

towsonu2003
October 25th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I tried it but the strange thing is, my slmodem doesn't work with anything else than ubuntu so I don't have much to say. I installed it, saw that modem isn't working, then installed ubuntu again!

Oh, if you have any ideas about this modem thing, here is my thread:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=73049

iwannice
August 7th, 2007, 07:24 AM
That any one know how to uninstall OpenSuse in my Ubuntu feisty..?? :(