PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 1.5 beta 1 is out

wellery
September 9th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Firefox 1.5 beta 1 is out. For more information and where you can download it head to here:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/

jasmuz
September 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Here's what's new in Firefox 1.5 Beta 1:

* Automated update to streamline product upgrades. Notification of an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.
* Faster browser navigation with improvements to back and forward button performance.
* Drag and drop reordering for browser tabs.
* Improvements to popup blocking.
* Clear Private Data feature provides an easy way to quickly remove personal data through a menu item or keyboard shortcut.
* Answers.com is added to the search engine list.
* Improvements to product usability including descriptive error pages, redesigned options menu, RSS discovery, and "Safe Mode" experience.
* Better accessibility support including DHTML accessibility.
* Report a broken Web site wizard to report Web sites that are not working in Firefox.
* Better support for Mac OS X (10.2 and greater) including profile migration from Safari and Mac Internet Explorer.
* New support for Web Standards including SVG, CSS 2 and CSS 3, and JavaScript 1.6.
* Many security enhancements.
* List of notable bug fixes since Deer Park Alpha 2

lao_V
September 9th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Just installed it on my work PC (win2000). None of the extensions/themes are working at the moment but that's ok, I can understand. Rendering seems to be much quicker.

Can't seem to see the RSS button at the bottom of the RSS-enabled sites like before. Apart from that the Options box looks very compact and the error pages are looking good.

N8MAN1068
September 9th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Here's what's new in Firefox 1.5 Beta 1:
* Drag and drop reordering for browser tabs.

SOLD!

You think if I uninstall 1.0.6, i'll have to redo the java runtime install as well?

binarymelon
September 9th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Just installed it on my work PC (win2000). None of the extensions/themes are working at the moment but that's ok, I can understand. Rendering seems to be much quicker.

Can't seem to see the RSS button at the bottom of the RSS-enabled sites like before. Apart from that the Options box looks very compact and the error pages are looking good.

I'm not sure if it's the same in linux, but I'm at work and installed it and the rss feed button is in the url field in the navigation toolbar.

lao_V
September 9th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure if it's the same in linux, but I'm at work and installed it and the rss feed button is in the url field in the navigation toolbar.

Yes I see it now. Very good observation! Ain't it bit silly to put it there? I hardly look at the location bar. Status bar would seem the most suitable place. It was fine where it was. Why change it??

Kyral
September 9th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Is there anyway someone can slot this into the Breezy Repos :P Of course you'd name it something like "firefox-beta" or "deerpark"

krusbjorn
September 9th, 2005, 03:56 PM
SOLD!

You think if I uninstall 1.0.6, i'll have to redo the java runtime install as well?

Drag'n'drop reordering of tabs is available through the TabMix extension for firefox 1.0.x :D

Luke Redpath
September 9th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Had a brief play with the beta in Windows (cannot be fussed with it in Ubuntu until final is out) and I like the changes - didn't take a look at the options panel, but the back/forward navigation speed is much improved and drag and drop tab reordering is a nice feature. I also welcome the proper error pages (which look pretty smart) instead of the really annoying popup alert for missing pages etc.

I look forward to the final (have gone back to 1.0.6 because I need my extensions).

poofyhairguy
September 9th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I will be happy if the Linux version finally catches up to the Windows and OSX versions when it comes to resource use for this release.

Ubunted
September 10th, 2005, 01:29 AM
This is actually not Beta 1, this is Beta 1 RC 1.

It's not a Beta
It's not an RC

It's the RC for the Beta. ;-)

Or so I have heard?

benplaut
September 10th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Drag'n'drop reordering of tabs is available through the TabMix extension for firefox 1.0.x :D

thanks, i was about to say that :)

<<edit>>

i just tried it out (it's obscenely easy to get running, for those who are afraid...), and i'm not very impressed... everything that was changed (pretty much), i had changed via extensions :roll:

page rendering is faster, though :)

poofyhairguy
September 10th, 2005, 03:47 AM
page rendering is faster, though :)

All I wanted.

Game master pro
September 10th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I installed it a couple of hours ago, but no themes or extensions are working, so i re installed 1.0.6, i'll reinstall it later maybe

Heliode
September 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I'm running it right now (on Hoary) and I have to say, it renders pages like crazy! I can clearly tell the difference in performance. Also, it is supposed to have a couple of memory leaks fixed. FF1.0.x used to eat up gigantic amounts of RAM if you left it running for a long time, so a fix for that is very welcome indeed. Adblock is already supported, which means it is useable for me! ;)

now all I need is an update for MediaPlayerConnectivity and i'm good to go!

SKLP
September 10th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Is there anyway someone can slot this into the Breezy Repos :P Of course you'd name it something like "firefox-beta" or "deerpark"
Don't know if it would work. Many apps depend on the "firefox" package, and they would presumably all need to be recompiled in separate packages for firefox-beta (e.g epiphany-firefoxbeta)

equilibrium
September 10th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I've installed it but I can't seem to get firefox working properly :( the plugin is there but all I get is sound and no visual.
Seems to be ok appart from a few plugins not working.

TravisNewman
September 10th, 2005, 08:18 PM
haaaaa.... so. Yeah I'm loving this. Timed it at 5 seconds to totally load ubuntuforums.org on the current stable... 1.5 beta 1 loads it to functional in less than a second and completely at about 3 seconds. I'm on very high speed broadband at the moment, so keep that in mind.

spiderbatdad
November 27th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Can't seem to get firefox 1.5 rc3 to install in Ubuntu 5.10. Can antone tell me how to do this? I am a total newbie to Linux (former windows user who never wants to go back,) so I have very little understanding of working with the files, being "root" (is that a tea I should brew, or something I should smoke?), and have not been able to get permissions to edit the opt file. Not even sure I want to edit that file. Anyway, instructions would be greatly appreciated. :confused: