PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody using StarOffice 8?

tak1150
December 12th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Having had bad experience with OpenOffice Impress (slideshows too slow and unstable) and being disappointed with Crossover + Powerpoint 2003, I am now considering StarOffice 8.

Are you happy with it?
Have you even been able to install it?
I'm more interested in finding out whether you're happy with StarOffice8 Impress. Thanks!

rfruth
December 12th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Is it free ?

LookTJ
December 12th, 2007, 04:48 AM
$70 for a product that is like OpenOffice. Hmmm, I dunno if I want to buy it. OpenOffice comes from StarOffice.

Vadi
December 12th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Is there a demo?

Maybe try tweaking impress settings... they're very quick on my thinkpad t40.

Lostincyberspace
December 12th, 2007, 04:57 AM
I am not going to try it since I have no money, so I cant very well be of any help

tak1150
December 12th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Is there a demo?

Maybe try tweaking impress settings... they're very quick on my thinkpad t40.

demo:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/get.jsp

I wanted to hear opinions from people who paid money (commitment) and have been using it for a while b/c some issues do not come up until you use it for a while.

I mean I love Impress. In fact I like it better than Powerpoint, and I think it runs faster. The only problem is when I do a long presentation with it (slideshow). It either crashes or becomes very slow if I stay at one slide and talk for a while. I have to have lots of graphics, which seems to make it slower.

Yes, I have tried everything you can think of, pretty much; changing the RAM allocation, switching to the native package from OOo, etc.

smartboyathome
December 12th, 2007, 04:59 AM
OpenOffice uses the same base, so I would think performance would be the same as well.

jinx099
December 12th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Just install Open Solaris. Star Office comes with it and it's free.

Vadi
December 12th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Ah I see. I don't think I have such intensive applications as yours then, so I can't give it a try.

Do you think you can split up the presentations?

tak1150
December 12th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Ah I see. I don't think I have such intensive applications as yours then, so I can't give it a try.

Do you think you can split up the presentations?

Yep. Tried that. Same problem.

To get a glimpse of how bad it can be:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3913068

dhruva023
December 12th, 2007, 06:48 AM
its free for personal use., i used to have it on windows.
go to staroffice faq, you will find the link for personal use.
i liked it.

Soilman
December 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Is it Free? To education users, YES.

bruce89
December 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM
What's the difference between OO.o and SO?

tak1150
December 18th, 2007, 09:23 PM
What's the difference between OO.o and SO?

Since I made this thread, I've actually gave it a try. I was expecting to see better performance, etc, but I didn't see any noticeable difference. The only difference was some clip arts were preloaded, etc; minor things.

This may be Sun Micro's testimony that their open version product is almost as good as the commercial one as opposed to the commercial one being only as good as the free one. I'm a bit disappointed, but am very thankful that they open-sourced OO.

I am now considering IBM's symphony office (based on OO) and think-free-office (MS office mimic).

Tak