View Full Version : I would like to challenge an infraction I have recieved

December 12th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I would like to contest an infraction I got. My original post is as follows:

There's a site called "[CENSORED SO I DON'T GET WARNED AGAIN]" or something like that. It's a great site.

I mentioned the name of a ROM site where people can get ROMS for the new Gamecube emulator that Tux0r coded. While I do respect PriceChild's authority as well as the rest of you on the mod team, I do think this is a bit harsh for several reasons:

1. The site is not illegal in and of itself. In fact, ROMs obtained from the site I mentioned are not illegal so long as you own the game. If I own Zelda and download a ROM for Zelda, there's absolutely nothing wrong as long as I don't share it with others.

2. I did not post a URL to the site, just the name of it, meaning that a user would have to search it out.

3. Tux0r posted a link to The Pirate Bay to download the emulator. The Pirate Bay is one of the most well-known pirating sites, yet leading users there is perfectly fine?

I understand you guys wanting to keep Ubuntu legally clean and all and I think that's a good thing (we wouldn't be here if that weren't the case) but I must say I disagree somewhat. Could you please just clarify for me?

Here's the original message from PriceChild:

Dear lespaul_rentals,

You have received a warning at Ubuntu Forums.

illegal talk

Keep it legal please, http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy

Original Post:

There's a site called "CENSORED" or something like that. It's a great site.

Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Ubuntu Forums

December 12th, 2007, 01:40 AM
This is a hard one. I can see your reasoning , but I can see why Pricechild issued the warning.

We must protect this site and its owners from risk of litigation.

December 12th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Fair enough. I understand your position. Thanks. You can close the thread or whatever.